Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is it on Morgan Dollar

coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have a proof like 78S with a strong strike, but there is some discoloration around the stars/near the rim. Are they water marks, bad rinse/dip residue, etching from dipping dark toning, PVC, anything else? Looking to sell part of my collection and want complete transparency of condition. Appears to be a Vam 6. Those are raised lines on coin from mint polishing the planchet for the PL look.
Thanks

Comments

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough to tell from the images you've provided, but the "7" in 1878 looks "off" to me. Could just be the angle...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

+1
    The date does not look good. I thought counterfeit immediately upon seeing it.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    Tough to tell from the images you've provided, but the "7" in 1878 looks "off" to me. Could just be the angle...

Yeah, that's a weird looking 7.

theknowitalltroll;
  • PacificWRPacificWR Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited July 28, 2020 8:05PM

Are the lines just in the field or are in the design to?

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2020 8:17PM

Hard to tell much from the photos.

My dumb guess is an old cleaning & genuine coin.

Lines in RT Obv field look like they might be on the die.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'd say your coin is authentic but just has die polishing lines. there is a small chance that area is just wiped.

if your coin is not authentic is a professional-level counterfeit. i look at a lot of 78-s morgans.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine coin, cleaned, MS details.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    +1
    The date does not look good. I thought counterfeit immediately upon seeing it.

bob :)

It looks fake from the images.
    Upload a picture "head-on" if you can.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot determine much from those pictures... angled and blurred....The lines in the obverse field are questionable based on the picture. Cheers, RickO

• coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for comments. Here is a straight on picture of date. Almost 100% sure its a Vam 6 - DDO RIB, If you look at vamworld, you will also see the fat 7 in date. Raised lines only in fields, not in design.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, if you want complete transparency, the best thing you can do for potential buyers is to get really good quality photos. I doubt it's valuable enough to justify third-party grading. I'd also point out that the lines are suspected to be die-polish lines, because not every potential buyer will recognize that. As for authenticity, I'll leave that to the Morgan experts.

VAM-6 is a Hot 50 Morgan Dollar. It's hard to tell with out seeing the coin in hand, but think you have an over polished Obverse die.

Here are some closer shots, unfortunately using a 10 year old PNS camera
    Doubled Motto, R in TRUST broken, Smooth feather on right wing, engraving lines in right wing (hard to see from pic but with loupe there are 5 or 6 lines) and LIBERTY shifted up (see L)

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, looks like a Vam 6 :)

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lines that trouble me are in the right field behind the lower part of the cap. They stop short of the cap, creating a "halo" there. This is characteristic of the coin having been wiped, so take a closer look at these to make sure they're raised. The rest of the lines look like die polish.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that the very rare giant 7 variety?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

What you have is an 1878-S VAM-6 that was produced from an over polished Obverse die.

Thanks to all for feedback.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file