Options

Barbara Bush 2020 First Spouse Gold

August 20th
2000 uncirculated - 3000 proof.

Comments

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugh. More spot gold.
    But, you got a pay the premium first to play.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

Welcome BayCity and I am interested in what caused you to make this your first post?!

• Options
    AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

Huge collector of Barbara Bush memorabilia?

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

since they didn't strike any President Bush Dollars why are they striking a Spouse coin??

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baycity.... Welcome aboard... Does your post indicate you collect gold spouse coins?... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

A mintage of 2000 uncirculated seems really low. What is the lowest first spouse uncirculated mintage so far?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

PerryHall... if my figures are correct, the B. Bush coin at 2,000 sold would not even make it into the top 10 lowest mintages. But, it is always possible the Mint does not sell out of the coin. Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

UNAUDITED NUMBERS...

2012 Alice Paul
    Proof 3,505
    Unc 2,798

2012 Frances Cleveland 1st
    Proof 3,158
    Unc 2,454

2012 Caroline Harrison
    Proof 3,046
    Unc 2,436

2012 Frances Cleveland 2nd
    Proof 3,104
    Unc 2,425

2013 Edith Wilson
    Proof 2,464
    Unc 1,974

2013 Elllen Wilson
    Proof 2,511
    Unc 1,980

2013 Helen Taft
    Proof 2,598
    Unc 1,993

2013 Ida McKinley
    Proof 2,724
    Unc 2,008

2013 Edith Roosevelt
    Proof 2,840
    Unc 2,027

2014 Eleanor Roosevelt
    Proof 2,377
    Unc 1,886

2014 Grace Coolidge
    Proof 2,315
    Unc 1,949

2014 Florence Harding
    Proof 2,372
    Unc 1,944

2014 Lou Hoover
    Proof 2,392
    Unc 1,936

2015 Bess Truman
    Proof 2,747
    Unc 1,946

2015 Mamie Eisenhower
    Proof 2,704
    Unc 2,102

2015 Jackie Kennedy
    Proof 11,222
    Unc 6,771

2015 Lady Bird Johnson
    Proof 2,653
    Unc 1,927

2016 Patricia Nixon
    Proof 2,645
    Unc 1,839

2016 Betty Ford
    Proof 2,471
    Unc 1,865 *(added 41 on 07/10/2020 from coinworld article)

2016 Nancy Reagan
    Proof 3,548
    Unc 2,009

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like the Pat Nixon uncirculated with 1,839 is currently the rarest one.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint says pictures are not the actual size of the coin.
    Good to know :)

• Options

@keets said:
    since they didn't strike any President Bush Dollars why are they striking a Spouse coin??

There will be a $1 George H Bush coin...

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2020 4:19PM

Well, that's interesting. I was fixing to sell my First Spouses for melt.

IMHO, one should be cautious about paying the Mint's likely towering premium for this issue, with gold moving as it is.

• Options

The obverse on the Barbara coin is good. Good rendition. Attractive for the series.
    The reverse, as is typical on these spouse coins, sucks.
    Would’ve been better just to have put W on the reverse.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2020 4:50PM
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2020 4:56PM

Back at ya!

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

It fits pretty well with the rest of the series design-wise. I assume they’ll be making a medal as well.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

If 2000/3000 is the stated max. my guess is they will strike far fewer than that.

• Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2020 6:24AM

The mint seems to have dropped the first spouse from the pricing grid so there isn't a way to know how they'll be priced. Sorry if this has already been pointed out.

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

I like the First Spouse series, have them all, and will buy Barbara Bush too!

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just when you think it's over.... back they come! How long lived is this series supposed to be?

----- kj
  • Options

Anyone who collected the entire series as they came out and still had them is doing really well now.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

Yes, PM escalation rises all boats, even those with high Mint premiums.
    But not nearly as much as AGE’s and GLD Buffs.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

First offer I got from a local bullion dealer for my First Spouses was 98% of Melt.

• Options

That may be typical. My dealer really doesn’t want them and really didn’t want all the packaging but I have built a relationship. And they went straight to melt.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

“First offer I got from a local bullion dealer for my First Spouses was 98% of Melt.”

And he was only “light” by 2%!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2020 2:02PM

Someday this never actually complete set of all these spouses, will have:

Barbara Pierce
    Hillary Diane Rodham
    Laura Lane Welch
    Michelle LaVaughn Robinson, and
    Melanija Knavs

and then shortly thereafter a first spouse, husband version.

I always felt the original names of the women, and who they were as their own individuals before, as well as after their husbands became President, should have been on all the spouse coins.

Was, and still is, to some degree, a great set to collect IMO. Dollar averaged over the years into physical gold.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see some deep key rarities in the future for this series.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2020 4:40PM

I was actually starting to consider selling my other complete spouse set with gold so high. However, with the trends I see in increased debt both gov't and private, insane high physical gold demand, US dollar ready to collapse past hoped for resistance, and that as discussed, many of these spouses ungraded will actually get melted, the graded 70 ones will become true rarities, especially First Strikes.

I just decided to watch and see what happens for now as these spouses could go up like silver recently did in a few years, It only takes a couple collectors from each state to completely overwhelm supply or availability of these.

• Options

@MilesWaits said:
    I believe the series will continue until there is a mintage of one and yet still no one buys it.

I always wanted to live long enough to have a unique coin.

• Options

What the key spouse will be in 50 or 100 years is anyone’s guess, but I’m betting less than half of the original mintage still around.

• Options

At $1,340 for a half ounce uncirculated, with gold at $1,950 or so, that is $975/half ounce.
    So the Mint wants $365 per coin or 37% premium above to cover their costs?!!!

I expect the uncirculated BB to sell maybe 1,000 to 1,500 and the proof 1,500 to 2,000, and both should be modern rarities someday for my grandkids. I will get a couple, just to stay in the game.

All of you haters, please feel free to scrap and melt as many of these spouses as you can find. >:)

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

These always traded at spot with dealers. Not much to gain... nothing to lose. If I were a collector I would get the set in the secondary market ( wisely). Awesome series. At the back end of it a guy has 22+ oz of pure gold. Unc or proof ? How sweet is that ?

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

This series seems most analogous to the American Arts Medallion series. Does anyone have the mintages on those?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    At $1,340 for a half ounce uncirculated, with gold at $1,950 or so, that is $975/half ounce.
    So the Mint wants $365 per coin or 37% premium above to cover their costs?!!!

I expect the uncirculated BB to sell maybe 1,000 to 1,500 and the proof 1,500 to 2,000, and both should be modern rarities someday for my grandkids. I will get a couple, just to stay in the game.

All of you haters, please feel free to scrap and melt as many of these spouses as you can find. >:)

Often, these end up being the keys. The high premium results in extra rarity because no one buys them.
    BTW, bought my set this morning.

There's a lot of short-sightedness here. Precious metals are about to have their day. Soon enough, just like real estate in 2005-2006, normal "Joes" will be getting into PMs because of the hype. Hucksters will push low mintage and special series just like this one and a momentary hype will result in some really nice premiums.

• Options
    edited August 20, 2020 11:42AM

@jmski52 said:
    This series seems most analogous to the American Arts Medallion series. Does anyone have the mintages on those?

No, the art medal mintages really sold, not melted, are a bit debatable and no one knows at all how many are left, now, but I still have 2 complete art sets and recently sent my 3rd best set, PCGS complete via FedEx and it vanished, lost in Memphis, and so far after over one week no one has "seen" it there so, maybe big loss... :'(

Many spouses are also long gone so mintages are becoming less relevant. These spouses will only matter if in 70 and even more if in FS in the future, maybe past my timeframe. Those will be really rare and yes, valuable to someone. Maybe just not you. :)

• Options

I appreciate your inner Spousal conflict GoldMiner, my dealer really doesn’t want them when I sell and really doesn’t want all the packaging but I have built a relationship. And they go straight to melt. Even 70’s. That’s where I would buy and sell them, at spot. Graded, slabbed then cracked and melted. Pure gold at spot, I like it.
    Good for you for holding out the hope. Go Spot For all our sakes!

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    I appreciate your inner Spousal conflict GoldMiner, my dealer really doesn’t want them when I sell and really doesn’t want all the packaging but I have built a relationship. And they go straight to melt. Even 70’s. That’s where I would buy and sell them, at spot. Graded, slabbed then cracked and melted. Pure gold at spot, I like it.
    Good for you for holding out the hope. Go Spot For all our sakes!

The only way to get money out of modern collectibles is through private party channels (ebay or other national auctions). Dealers rarely pay more than melt for any modern PMs because their local customer bases aren't large enough to support the market.

• Options

“Why would anyone melt .9999 gold?”

I just left two first spouses in a fire safe and I’m hoping for the best, but there’s a pretty good chance I might lose my house and the contents of the safe as well. 😵

Aside from fishing for sympathy, accidents happen

• Options
    edited August 21, 2020 9:20AM

@kiyote said:
    “Why would anyone melt .9999 gold?”

I just left two first spouses in a fire safe and I’m hoping for the best, but there’s a pretty good chance I might lose my house and the contents of the safe as well. 😵

The fire season is starting off really bad like the weather and I wish you well. But on the bright side…. The melting point of pure gold is 1947.5 degrees Fahrenheit. The average house fire generates temperatures of between 1,200 and 1,700 degrees Fahrenheit. So your spouses will survive.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of the guy who stopped in the shop about ten years ago. Asked if I bought gold and I said "of course". He said he had two Krugerrands but they were on his TV and there was a fire. The gold "melted into the TV ". I said "sorry sir, I don't buy used televisions." He stormed out and I never saw him again.

• Options
    tradeshacktradeshack Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited January 18, 2021 9:41PM

@cagcrisp said:
    UNAUDITED NUMBERS...

2014 Grace Coolidge
    Proof 2,315
    Unc 1,949

2016 Betty Ford
    Proof 2,471
    Unc 1,865 *(added 41 on 07/10/2020 from coinworld article)

~
    ~
    ~
    ~

The U.S.Mint Cumulative Sales Figures Through Week Ending January 10, 2021 have the Proof Bush @ 2,328 and exceeding 2,315 Coolidge. Demand for Bush will continue with market awareness of her (in my opinion). I think the mintage limit will prove to be too low.

Can the 41 Betty Ford UNC's reported by Coinworld be confirmed online?
    I would like more info on this.

• Options
    RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

When first issued, I didn’t have any interest in the First Spouse series per se, but was interested in the Liberty coins the legislation said would be issued for those presidents who didn’t have a wife while in office. When offered by the mint, I decided to purchase and build a ‘short set’ of those “Liberty” coins, the Jefferson, Jackson, Van Buren, and Buchanan’s Liberties. While none of these coins have much premium above spot, they are a nice little set and make an interesting display.

• Options

2020 FS GOLD PROOF 1/2 OZ – BUSH 2,345 +17
    2020 FS GOLD UNC 1/2 OZ – BUSH 1,523 + 6

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greysheet has these coins price guided at all the same amount, a bit over melt. I don't know if mintage really matters. How long will they mint First Ladies in gold anyway?

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

Um... they're done? The Presidential Dollars series is done. There was an additional coin authorized for the Bushes after their death. Sort of like when supermarkets gave away dishes and sold the "completer" set of serving pieces.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file