Home Metal Detecting
Options

Nature quiz for detecting forests

Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Harvested 10+ lbs. of these yummy guys yesterday while digging relics. Yeah, I made a sour dough pizza and it was good. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK Roy, I am not usually stumped, but you have done just that. I do not recognize those yellow flowers/fungus? Please advise.... Thanks, Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko those golden beauties are chanterelle mushrooms. They are edible and have a great woodsy flavor. They're often sold dried and somewhat pricey at $80 per lb. But they're free in the wild. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Thanks Roy.... I have not encountered chanterelle's outside of the dried market...Great pictures. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Chanterelle spores have a symbiotic relationship with Beech trees. Go figure.

• Options

Did not know that...Thanks.... will watch for this when out in the mountains. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2020 1:11PM

@Namvet69 nice find and no metal detector required :)

Lately the only thing I have harvested in the woods is the sassafras tree roots to make root beer.
    The sassafras tree is one of the easiest to spot because it has three different shaped leaves on one tree.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

I am familiar with homemade root beer soda from my childhood. Also birch beer. Great memories. Peace Roy

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    I am familiar with homemade root beer soda from my childhood. Also birch beer. Great memories. Peace Roy

Moxie ??

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

I have never made home brewed root beer or birch beer.... I have made home brew beer though... :D;) also wine and champagne....well, not real champagne, but bubbly wine :D I will have to look up how to make the soda...Cheers, RickO