Home Precious Metals
Options

Swapping gold bars for generic coins

YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

An acquaintance of mine contacted me for advice. He wants to trade a very large gold bar for bullion gold coins.
That makes sense to me. Does it to you? To whom should he talk for the fairest deal?

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

How large is this gold bar and who is the manufacturer of this bar?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Large bars can be hard to unload.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your acquaintance will certainly have to eat some premium going from a large bar to smaller 1oz coins. Depending on the size of the bar we are talking about this may only be a minor issue.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

He has a 100 oz gold bar. I do not understand why he would have bought something so big, but he did.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted in the other thread....He should contact Apmex, they have the ability to deal at this level, and can provide either coin or cash for the bar. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2020 7:32PM

kitco might be better to sell to..

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

at that size... any of the authorized purchasers will be big enough to handle that no problem.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yorkshire
    If it were me, I would hand carry a transaction this size. Jack Hunt in Buffalo or Rarcoa in Chicago if he is near those areas. They've always treated my friends right.

Have a nice day