Home Precious Metals
Options

Ultimate gold medal - will PCGS certify?

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pics for those of use who cannot access ebay from...work?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

three different solid gold Star Wars items. Claims each was grand prize in different Hasbro contests yet he has all three of them. Seller has no feedback for over a year. Red flag?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2020 6:32AM

Seller wants $999,999.00 for them.

Is the scale included?

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    Pics for those of use who cannot access ebay from...work?

• Options

@derryb said:
    three different solid gold Star Wars items. Claims each was grand prize in different Hasbro contests yet he has all three of them. Seller has no feedback for over a year. Red flag?

It is possible for someone to buy these on the secondary market over the course of 25 years.

That said, they also sold 24k gold-plated ones in stores.

Either way, I doubt $1 million will entice anyone.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think if you pay that asking price, then offer PCGS maybe, oh, $100k to slab them, they would.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

@shorecoll said:
    I think if you pay that asking price, then offer PCGS maybe, oh, $100k to slab them, they would.

Rare custom slab. Worth $2 million at that point.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for him.

• Options
    HashTagHashTag Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

Wouldn’t the comic book thread be more interested in these? Some one there would have no problem ponying up that kind of money for the great Star Trek/ Wars memorabilia.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I mentioned in the other thread, 17.6 oz. of gold (if not plated, and it could be a scam) is worth around $33k... I would not be interested in these anyway...but if so, would certainly require a lot more than just the seller's description. Full documented analysis. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's weird. I clicked on US Coin Forum and ended up in Overpriced eBay Junk.

• Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

It is possible for someone to buy these on the secondary market over the course of 25 years.

That said, they also sold 24k gold-plated ones in stores.

Either way, I doubt $1 million will entice anyone.

I agree that it is reasonable to think someone might have collected all three over the course of 25 years. Especially since he listed the number produced and it was in the double digits for each. However, I must admit the McMillions documentary came to mind when I saw this listing.

• Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2020 10:05AM

That doesn't look like 18oz of gold to me.

Just notice he's only about 10 miles from me.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    That's weird. I clicked on US Coin Forum and ended up in Overpriced eBay Junk.

Isn't that half of the threads on the US Coin Forum?

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one in the video is only AU at best, plus might have fingerprints. :)

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

There be chocolate inside!

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2020 9:40AM

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is out and the ultimate Star Wars collectable set is available again.

Offered is a collection of 24k solid gold Micro Machines that were grand prizes in contests from Micro Machines, Hasbro (Galoob) back in the 1990's.

You Tube commercial showing the contest for the Millennium Falcon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IblELLN5bhc

These are made from solid 24k gold and come with boxes and paper work from original owners (for 2 of them).

Deathstar, 6oz gold
    Millennium Falcon, 5oz gold
    Star Destroyer, 6.6oz gold

I have only ever seen one other Millennium Falcon being sold over the years but never as a complete set.

Each of these items are very limited in quantity.
    Only 20 Deathstars made.
    Only 13 Millennium Falcons made.
    Only 30 Star Destroyers made.

Make an offer!

Star Wars Solid Gold Micro Machines (Hasbro) Action Figures. Millennium Falcon. Condition is Used. Shipped with USPS Priority Mail.

Maybe the Pawn Stars could put these in their shop.
    Or come on Gus, you need em.

This is pretty cool: "Offered is a collection of 24k solid gold Micro Machines that were grand prizes in contests from Micro Machines, Hasbro (Galoob) back in the 1990's."

Who is Gus?

Edit: I'm guessing Gus is Gus Lopez, co-author of Gus and Duncan's Comprehensive Guide to Star Wars Collectibles

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

They aren't coins, tokens, or medals so I doubt PCGS will slab them.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited July 25, 2020 9:44AM
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2020 9:45AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    Ultimate gold medal - will PCGS certify?

PCGS has gone where no TPG has gone before by certifying the ultimate silver coin, so why not? :)

Thanks to @PCGSPhoto for a great TrueView!

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't have the 'look' of solid gold.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

Here's a nice PCGS certified piece:

• Options

@Zoins said:

That's an actual coin issue by a government with a face value. Are the Star Wars figurines actual coins issued by a country with a face value?

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@Zoins said:

That's an actual coin issue by a government with a face value. Are the Star Wars figurines actual coins issued by a country with a face value?

No.

But exonumia is almost always privately produced.

• Options

Are small gold figurines really considered to be exonumia? I guess you could send them to PCGS to see what happens but I wouldn't be surprised if they rejected them for slabbing.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will PCGS slab solid gold jewelry or rings or panda bears?

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@PerryHall said:
    Are small gold figurines really considered to be exonumia? I guess you could send them to PCGS to see what happens but I wouldn't be surprised if they rejected them for slabbing.

It was mostly a joke.

But the do slab gold award medals. And they slabbed the statuette Tutankhamen coin. So, we're kind of straddling the two here.