Home Precious Metals
Options

Anyone Still buying PM at these Prices? Which PM are you still buying?

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine how long it would take to break even on a $700 premium coin.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2020 10:35AM

The wealth effect of gold and silver going up allows me to justify paying 2240x face for a 195 year old quarter in barely Good grade. And I'll bet no one here has one like it, or could even find one to buy if you tried, in any condition. Rare coin!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    alexercaalexerca Posts: 247 ✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    I am always in the market for a half ounce gold bullion.

Good to hear! In another 4 or 5 months I'll sell you some!

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2020 10:12AM

@Baley said:
    The wealth effect of gold and silver going up allows me to justify paying 2240x face for a 195 year old quarter in barely Good grade. And I'll bet no one here has one like it, or could even find one to buy if you tried, in any condition. Rare coin!

Ok I'll Bite...
    What this magical disk look like?

Had a friend mention that his neighbor sold some 90% to a coin/pawn shop for $60.
    My friend didn't have the money to buy and didn't think far enough ahead to call me.
    I guess we'll use the term friend lightly....

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

As always, I have the desire to buy more silver. But due to the high price of silver these days, I get sticker shock when I look at the prices. So, barring an exceptionally good deal, I will not buy anymore silver until prices drop again.

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could be a distant while. I'm guessing this run has some distance to go.

• Options

@rte592 said:

@Baley said:

Ok I'll Bite...
    What this magical disk look like?

Glad you asked!

It's the very tough die state on the left

Find me another for my strong offer 😉

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2020 7:09AM

Got a roll of tenth ounce AGEs yesterday. Owner held for 14 years. He said it was "long enough".

The first roll I bought (50) cost $7k. Just a few years ago. This one was nearly $12k.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a 1996 ASE a couple days ago for $31. It pained me to do so but I needed one for my partial album set I've been working on

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Got a roll of tenth ounce AGEs yesterday. Owner held for 14 years. He said it was "long enough".

The first roll I bought (50) cost $7k. Just a few years ago. This one was nearly $12k.

I thought you said you were one of them fly by night low ball we buy gold shops. Almost $240 a coin, wow let me know if you need more.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited August 5, 2020 3:14PM

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Picked up a tube of '99 tenth ounce uncircs. years ago for under $5K. You can imagine my very pleasant surprise when i saw a mintmark on them. Over the years eventually turned them into silver eagle tubes.

• Options
    edited August 14, 2020 2:20PM

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Primers and heads for me, lead and copper.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    HarlequinHarlequin Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

As usual, I'm gonna wait for a pullback before I start buying again. I will be buying AGE &ASE when prices correct to the downside! Made a hefty profit on my ASE recently so I am eager to re-invest on the correction! Happy stacking !!!!!

🇺🇸 Harlequin Numismatic
    harlequinnumismatic@gmail.com

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

I thought you said you were one of them fly by night low ball we buy gold shops. Almost $240 a coin, wow let me know if you need more.

Okay by nearly 12k.... it was $11440. I didn’t say I was fly by night.). Others say that maybe. Been called a spammer once.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:
    I bought a 1996 ASE a couple days ago for $31. It pained me to do so but I needed one for my partial album set I've been working on

A 96 for $31 bucks, you stole it most sellers want 3x that, you must be joking.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

I invested in some high end lead from Underwood for my 10mm and .357 sig glocks

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jinx86 said:
    Just bought a John Deere Subcompact Tractor with tons of attachments for GOLD. Felt good to put my profits to use without having to cash in. The good old barter system is still alive.

Now that right there is awesome, except I would of preferred trading silver instead of gold. Congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

of course you'll pay the sales tax and capital gains on the gold price appreciation................... right?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:

@Meltdown said:

A 96 for $31 bucks, you stole it most sellers want 3x that, you must be joking.

Nope. It was laying loose in the tray with other mixed dates and I couldn't pass it up. Not sure if it was an oversight or what but I snagged it.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    of course you'll pay the sales tax and capital gains on the gold price appreciation................... right?

I see no gain, just an even up trade.
    Maybe a new appreciation for gardening.

• Options
    Mike59Mike59 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

Azurescens the 2.5's are Beautiful!!. I have also been busy in the last 2 weeks (both days the PM market dived) and picked up 2 Pre-33 $5 Liberties and 2 Pre-33 $10 liberties. The Pre-33 gold coins are just my favorite. Its like I can't help myself. Every time I pick one up I wonder who held it 100 years ago and what story it could tell. Im even leaning to raw over slabbed.

MIKE B.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

my dude, when my friends told everyone what kind of superheroes they would be and how high they would fly or how far they could shoot lazers, I was wondering how cool it'd be to sit there with a coin and visit even a fraction of its existence, from who held it to what the dude at the mint goes home to every night, the banker, the newspaper boy who gets flicked an Indian cent, and uses that and his V nickel for bread milk and eggs, the conversations inbetween and even the boring or bad stuff like sitting there in salty snow on the side of the road. Thank you for bringing me back :-)

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually hoard junk silver. However, there is no way that I would pay 20X face and higher for it. In May, I bought UNC rolls of roosies for $70., and UNC rolls of Washington’s for $150.

I also would not pay over $30. For a raw silver eagle, round or bar. Any silver eagles that I do buy over $30.00 has been in a certified holder.

I can wait for prices to drop. And if they don’t, I am satisfied with what I already have.

Stack on!

• Options

Bought a monster box last week. Next day I ordered another and it was $500 more.

• Options

Today I Just picked up a 1905-s $5.00 gold XF-AU liberty and a 1912 $5.00 Indian gold in AU. I used to carry a ASE or a Morgan as a pocket piece, been doing it for years. Now I carry a 1909-d $5 Indian Gold piece ( Raw & cleaned so its worth gold value).

MIKE B.

• Options
    alexercaalexerca Posts: 247 ✭✭✭

Just bought 18 run of the mill Morgan's, 1/2 age and a 1/4 age for 2 today! Hopefully I won't keep them to long! Oh! Also $1500 worth of food! Went to big city of Missoula! Bought them from a dealer I know!

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mike59 said:
    Today I Just picked up a 1905-s $5.00 gold XF-AU liberty and a 1912 $5.00 Indian gold in AU. I used to carry a ASE or a Morgan as a pocket piece, been doing it for years. Now I carry a 1909-d $5 Indian Gold piece ( Raw & cleaned so its worth gold value).

Yes!! My man! Congrats. Very happy to hear you're enjoying an upgrade like that. I bought a couple silver dollars and started thumbing the heck out of them last year. But we have been doing so well, and everything just seems to keep working out for us, they've turned to pocket pieces and jewelry.

Bitcoin, stocks, bitcoin again and still stocks again but also now lol, more bitcoin profits, gold/silver all year, TSLA will probably carry my free gold habit through 2020. This is unreal. I'm so happy to live through this. Even if I'm broke at the end man how cool all of this is. I really hope everyone is enjoying this on some level.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would choose the hold/buy option over the hold/sell option right now.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still buying silver a little here and there...

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

The wealth effect of gold and silver going up allows me to justify paying

I plan to finish off the 5 oz ATBs and Queens Beasts collections while continuing to maintain my Plat & Gold Buff collections. That's just a nominal decision to satisfy my collecting urges.

It's times like these (in a turbulent but rising market) that I like to do some PM portfolio re-configuring. The miscellaneous stuff that I bought in the heat of the moment can be sold off and converted into a little more bulk bullion.

You can't have too much bullion. My portion of the 1.9 trillion physical dollars outstanding in the world are still calling out to me, "Help! save me from the irresponsible, massive money creation by the saboteurs at the Fed!"

I'm tempted to keep buying, albeit at a more conservative pace.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeutscherGeist said:
    What is the significance of the DBS logo? There was something fishy about that deal, so it was best to stay away.

Buying PM? I have bought and still buying silver proof commemoratives from the German Mint, but they are not fluctuating with the silver price moves, so they are basically numismatic. These are not high dollar investment items either as I am not buying in bulk. Also, I feel that I want to get them fresh and sealed by the MInt now, so I do not have to worry about chasing them on the secondary market, which is a real pain. Now with this new price surge, I have mixed feelings. On one hand buying bulk silver could be cheap right now if silver is headed to $50/oz for about the third time in history, but nothing says that it has to. I am paying attention, though.

this post cheered my up, I'll be sending you a PM with a comprehensive list of the 2500 much sought after 5 DM commems i have in storage B) check or money order please

• Options

On a more serious note I've been steadily selling foreign junk to rabid buyers at my antique store booth.

Who knew there were so many fans of utter crap in this area?

dropping off a stack of 50% pesos and some rolls of canada dimes today

• Options

Run ups like this you always dump your crap into and hold back the good stuff. If there is a turn around the suckers will buy the dip , thats when you exit your good stuff (if thats the plan) don't sell good stuff now just prune the stack of the one offs and orphans you acquired over the years.

• Options

Ming gold/silver eagle sales indicate record demand

a lot of somebody's are buying.

• Options

people have been buying australian 50% silver from me like its going out of style!

I staple 4 thruppence into a silver eagle sized flip mark it 5$ . I sold 100 of the little gremmlins this week. I'll dump six pence and shillings and british 50% this week

I'm through with tiny coins . now that I need reading glasses I don't want anything small.

There is an appetite for silver and sellers like me I think are using it to unload .

I confess I have sold some .999 though it hasn't all been dreck. I had some high relief 2 oz rounds , images of america or something like that I put out the 5 I had for $59 each and those are gone too.

Funny thing about the antique store clientele , they sometimes turn their nose up at things they should buy first and buy the things they shouldn't. I put out a row of slick and holed 90% world crowns at basically melt and they took a while to move.

I had 2 Belgian 5 francs that were AU with small drilled holes both 1867 I think , 19$ each and they just sat there . maybe it was a show of solidarity for the Congolese people? yeah somehow I doubt it ;)

I've also sold thousands of wheat pennies for 3.5 cents each so many that I'm out of them. People are begging for more but I have no interest in buying wheat pennies to resell , I'm not a lunatic :D

• Options
    edited September 13, 2020 2:00PM

Here’s my latest bullion purchase, slightly over spot as I got CAC’d over the head by a little ole gangster lady..... She could have done me a favor and hoarded more ;)

I would have been happy with the Ricko seal of approval and I could have saved a few bills :D

• Options

been buying more $5 and $10 us gold up until this week. Havent seen many $20's. Spoke to owner of my LCS and asked about $20 gold pieces. He said nobody was unloading Pre-33 and was out of all pre-33 gold so I bought a couple $5 modern commems at $5 over spot. Seems like people are holding and waiting to see what happens, strange time.

MIKE B.

• Options

I will say that this run up in gold looked like an opportunity for me to unload all my 14k wedding bands but they are not moving at spot. I was trickling them at spot 6 months ago and having no problem . I would put one out then when it sold put another. I was moving one a week at spot but here I think to sell them I will need to discount from spot and see if they start moving.

It makes sense that buyers and sellers can be at cross purposes after a big run up. The stuff I want to unload isn't moving and the stuff they want to buy I don't want to sell .

I had some of those IGR 1 gram bars of cold in cards I looked on ebay and they were selling from spot to $30 over ! I put 2 out at $70 each we shall see.

I dont want to sell everything I just feel that prices will probably retreat and I don't intend to be sitting on bands broken chains and 1000's of war nickels after a drop. All the crap needs to go now and hopefully after a drop what I'm left with is my core holdings . 90% , morgans, and well regarded 1 oz bullion, world crowns or world 90% etc.

For gold classic US and AGE , mexico , 20 francs and sovereigns . No jewelry, no oddball modern commems in weird sizes .

• Options

Collectors be Collecting
    Scrappers be Scrapping

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

Still buying scrap sterling for 50 cents a gram.

• Options

3+ pounds
    Plus 150 maple leaf Canuck coins.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    3+ pounds
    Plus 150 maple leaf Canuck coins.

and it's on top of a push button rotating coin showcase! I love those.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

Still buying sterling scrap/non-scrap at .50 to .60 cents a gram.

• Options
    edited September 19, 2020 12:48PM

Here’s my latest purchase, after the last thread that got locked I think I’ll go see if anyone needs advise on their 150 year old watches. Good thing I have 5 passive hobbies and 3 active hobbies. may have to setup my watch workshop again but that takes a whole room to setup all the equipment and parts cabinets.

I
    have about 10 watches needing a COA and a mainspring and need to put a staff in a rare 24 J hunter bunn special with 24 ruby jewels.

I’ve made about 50 bucks on this watch if parted but that’s not the way I roll. The movement in this one is 7 J, 18 size (big) coin silver hunter case, and an Elgin from 1885.

Lord knows I don’t need another key wind I must have 25 or 30 already, .someone needs to preserve history. Not as good as 20 years ago you’d see someone put a 300 dollar dial on a 100 dollar watch.

• Options

I would lose the key in 2 days then what?
    In my cars I put the keys in the ignition and bend them over with a hammer so they dont go astray

• Options
    Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2020 6:19PM

@bronco2078 said:
    I would lose the key in 2 days then what?
    In my cars I put the keys in the ignition and bend them over with a hammer so they dont go astray

No keys or ignition on my daily beater, no start button even. It locks/unlocks automatically, moves with noone inside, practically drives itself, etc. Has an emergency plastic card if need be, only $10 if want more and can use across multiple cars.

And always good to DCA with these current prices, I still do. I miss the 1200 gold from last year, also the sub 1000 and sub 500 prices but thats how it is, there are those who bought at 20 gold.