Home Metal Detecting
Options

Found a Fyr-Fyter

Don't know what that is? Don't worry I didn't either, but it's a solid brass fire extinguisher. I found it about 3 inches deep around a bunch of rusted metal and the only reason I kept it was because my magnet didn't stick to it.

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's different.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Longarm.... Have not seen one of those before... what are the dimensions? They are still a viable company... Here is the website https://fyrfyter.com/ Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LongarmLongarm Posts: 89 ✭✭

@ricko said:
    @Longarm.... Have not seen one of those before... what are the dimensions? They are still a viable company... Here is the website https://fyrfyter.com/ Cheers, RickO

It's almost 11 in. long and 3 in. wide, they sell them on ebay, just never seen one myself.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC1.A0.H0.Xfyr+fyter.TRS0&_nkw=fyr+fyter&_sacat=0

And on the show American Restoration they restored one of the bigger ones and I got a pic of it's label.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

A department of our business is refurbishing fire extinguishers. That one you have is something you don't see everyday but it's actually not all that uncommon. They can't be brought up to code so off to the scrap yard they go.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me, I'd polish that puppy up just because. Digging the debris of humanity shall reveal the goodies below. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

I would certainly clean it up and keep it.....I like such artifacts, and finding it while MD'ing makes it special. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    Me, I'd polish that puppy up just because. Digging the debris of humanity shall reveal the goodies below. Peace Roy

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    A department of our business is refurbishing fire extinguishers. That one you have is something you don't see everyday but it's actually not all that uncommon. They can't be brought up to code so off to the scrap yard they go.

I'd melt it down before I took it to the scrap yard, but I think with a little polishing it'll look okay hanging in my shop.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Longarm said:

@Hydrant said:

I'd melt it down before I took it to the scrap yard, but I think with a little polishing it'll look okay hanging in my shop.

They do look good polished. We have quite a collection here at the shop. We just can't keep all of them. It's impractical. A little off topic, but my favorite one that came to us is an old brass pump extinguisher. The label on it says, "U.S. Army Air Corps.". I looked it up and it appears that it was used in airplanes during WW1. We keep examples of the interesting ones. But we just can't keep them all. Metal scrapping is a very important and necessary part of our business ........we receive used extinguishers by the semi-truck load. 25%-30% are hopelessly beyond repair.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's cool :)

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found one of those years ago hunting arrowheads in a rock bottom creek. Sold it in a garage sale

• Options

@Hydrant...Thanks for the interesting information on extinguisher reclamation... did not realize it was such a business. Like many people, I have them in various parts of the house (always within ready access)...but beyond how and where to use the various types, I never gave it much thought. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I found this one not far from the shore so I guess someone probably had it on their boat.