Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

could, would, should . . . lol

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

I'm not quite thrilled yet.
    I called it wrong more times than I called it right.
    But, a troll must be fed.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2020 9:08PM

GSR (and the USDX) have been tanking like crazy. GSR just this past week from mid-80's to low 80's to high 70's....and now to 76. Making a direct line to the 45-65 target range. This charting stuff is easy. And look at that "Bookstore" go.....LOL. Sure doesn't look like much of a "bookstore" these days.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

It hit $26.12.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    It hit $26.12.

All the way back down to $22.36. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Much expected smackdown. Lets see if the pumpers can get it back up or if they will be running for the hills.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@Jimnight said:
    It hit $26.12.

Much expected smackdown. Lets see if the pumpers can get it back up or if they will be running for the hills.

Yeah, knew it would be beaten down hard when it fell, but didn't think it would swing that wildly overnight! lol...especially on what seems to be no news. Although I see 23.78 right now (overnight low of 22.36 though).

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jclovescoins said:

@blitzdude said:

@Jimnight said:
    It hit $26.12.

Yeah, knew it would be beaten down hard when it fell, but didn't think it would swing that wildly overnight! lol...especially on what seems to be no news. Although I see 23.78 right now (overnight low of 22.36 though).

@blitzdude said:

@Jimnight said:
    It hit $26.12.

I'm thinking maybe a sell off at $26.12 brought it down.
    Hopefully not for long, though.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@Jimnight said:
    It hit $26.12.

It sure needed a pullback. That was a heck of a run.

• Options

buy the dip

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    buy the dip

Would you suggest buying SLV or another etf, or ASEs, 90% or rounds?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    edited July 28, 2020 7:50AM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:
    buy the dip

USLVF or if on Robinhood AGQ (RH does not offer USLVF). This is a perfect example of the volatility that silver offers.

Went with the AGQ @49.40. Not my money, it's the kid's inheritance. LOL

I believe dip is result of profit taking at the magic $2000 number for gold. Nothing else seems to have changed. In fact FED announced yesterday that it's emergency lending facilities that were set to expire Sep 30 have been exteded until Dec. 31.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:
    buy the dip

USLVF or if on Robinhood AGQ (RH does not offer USLVF). This is a perfect example of the volatility that silver offers.

So stock market stuff.. not PMs (physical metal). You really should keep this PM related lest be chastised by yourself. Lol

You know....youve been a good student. A decade ago you laughed at all the stock market folk who who sat through a "lost decade" and criticized those who said the market was great for trading.

But now, after living though the lost decade in PMs you have extolled the virtues of trading. Well done chap. Youve come a long way and learned a lot. Congrats to derryb ;). You are welcome.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

After all these years you still wanna talk about the people who talk about PMs instead of talking about PMs. LOL

some things never change.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:
    buy the dip

If going the physical route, I would go with ASE's and name brand bars from a reputable seller, ie APMEX, JMBullion. I would stay away from Ebay unless you are familiar with the seller, many counterfeit bars out there, jmo.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

premiums are currently too high for physical unless you expect $30 silver before $20 silver.

• Options

@derryb said:
    premiums are currently too high for physical unless you expect $30 silver before $20 silver.

Premiums are always too high for physical. That is what typically makes it a terrible investment. Those that want to flip, trade, play the swings should be doing so with paper silver.

Those planning on holding for the long haul physical is good but if you want to avoid premiums and remain somewhat liquid one should focus on 90% junk.

• Options
    edited July 29, 2020 3:55AM

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

Premiums are always too high for physical.

Premiums are only too high (for most buyers) when there is a price run up as we are currently experiencing. People such as yourself who don't understand why there are premiums for physical (over spot) will always believe premiums are too high.

Premiums tells us spot is too low. Premium is what a Mercedes buyer pays when he choose not to buy the Toyota.

• Options

Current premiums tell us hype is too high. There's as much physical silver for sale as there ever is (just look at eBay 1,000,000+ silver listings alone) and it's not exactly flying off the shelf. Once it does then you know we are in bubble territory.

And PS, silver will never be a Mercedes, it will always be the Toyota, perhaps even a Hyundai or Nissan. Rgds

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Just started looking at prices and I agree that premiums are silly. Factoring in premiums makes a historical poor investment look even worse. But I do love looking at it, I just won’t be getting more for a while.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up some 90% silver at 17X face yesterday; Apmex was buying at 18X; a local shop, Sloats was paying 15x; on ebay it is selling for 20X.

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    Current premiums tell us hype is too high. There's as much physical silver for sale as there ever is (just look at eBay 1,000,000+ silver listings alone) and it's not exactly flying off the shelf. Once it does then you know we are in bubble territory.

And PS, silver will never be a Mercedes, it will always be the Toyota, perhaps even a Hyundai or Nissan. Rgds

ASEs are a mercedes, 90% junk is a Toyota.

• Options
    sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

Got quoted 10% premium on common gold peso restrikes. Silver isn't the only metal for stupid premiums at the moment.

I noticed the dealer cases are full of gold and silver too. Doesn't appear to be flying out the door.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed the same at my shop. I stopped in yesterday just for fun and to shoot the sheet thinking maybe I'b buy a couple ounces. Premiums went to $5 over for ASE's and about $4 for generic. No thanks...

• Options

I'm saying:
    January 1, 2021 Silver Spot -
    Without vaccine: $50
    With vaccine: $15

• Options
    edited July 29, 2020 1:20PM

@numismapiddler said:
    I'm saying:

and the price of silver if a vaccine makes things worse because it was rushed through trials?

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@numismapiddler said:
    I'm saying:

and the price of silver if a vaccine makes things worse because it was rushed through trials?

I am legend.

• Options
    Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

Talked to my friend who works at a major supplier that just finished a 100+ hr week saying its craziest he's ever seen it, both buying and selling. Multi-week delays from wholesalers even on relatively slower movers like large bars. Looks like supply side losing right now. Other dealers like JMBullion noting delays and an AP like apmex re-instituting minimums amid heavy recent activity.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

$23 Silver?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

$26?

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

At Apmex, for ASEs, you have to buy 2 Monster boxes to get it for spot +$10 and they're backordered. Hard to believe dealers are overstocked at spot +$5 or whatever.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

APMEX is not the only authorized purchaser out there. though some have minimums all the time.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

$35 silver for a monster box today is just ridiculous. Spot + $11+, yikes.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed as that seems like a fools errand.
    $11 above spot would nearly buy three Extra ounces of silver when I first started purchasing silver!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed the dealer cases are full of gold and silver too. Doesn't appear to be flying out the door.

That must be nice :'(

• Options

So regardless of spot the play is on eagles and premiums anyway yea? Some proof 69 are getting 75 (lmao!) there are some $100 panda.. $30-$32 generics.. Ebay is going wild. Who cares what spot does if Ebay is performing like this. I just got two mixed NGC cases of MS and PF 69 or gem unc. I sell a third and the rest are free. I bought some 4-coin proof lots and walked out with 3 free per listing.

Please dont drag me by the ankles with iron chains. But I think things are going to explode regardless of spot tickers.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@numismapiddler said:
    I'm saying:

Nothing to do with vaccine, IMO.

Tied to election. Biden wins gold and silver will continue to move up. Trump wins, metals will fall. If you think this virus will even be in the news mid-November, regardless of who wins, you’re very naive.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

@numismapiddler said:
    I'm saying:

Tied to election. Biden wins gold and silver will continue to move up. Trump wins, metals will fall. If you think this virus will even be in the news mid-November, regardless of who wins, you’re very naive.

Both political parties enjoy spending money so the election results won't stop the deficit spending.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Pnies20 said:

@numismapiddler said:
    I'm saying:

Both political parties enjoy spending money so the election results won't stop the deficit spending.

True. This one may be a bit different, though.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    edited July 30, 2020 1:09PM

PM spot prices are responding to dollar printing, not dollar spending.

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 12:48PM

ASE Prices on eBay, Auctions are almost all over $30 and rising. The only low prices around 28 (BUY IT NOW) appear to be sellers who don't know better or are trying to hold the price down.

Separation from COMEX paper nearly complete.

• Options

PM premiums are responding to physical supply and demand.

• Options
    edited July 30, 2020 4:18PM

@derryb said:
    PM spot prices are responding to dollar printing, not dollar spending.

We do 50-100 orders a day. Well, did, for the past 6 months. We are down to 3 to 10. Orders are from $10-50 not $50 to $500. It seems a very many number of people who are ordering are business addresses and we dont sell business items. We've been seeing a lot more credit cards.

Manual payments like cash and postal money order have dropped off the planet. We still get venmo, cashapp, bitcoin orders. But nothing like a month or three ago. Definitely slower than the end of 2019. This crunch has really only been the past 10-14 days. We almost went 12h without an order for the first time in 18 months.

The last ten days have dragged to a halt. Remember me in March complaining of 6 months straight of 18+ hour days? We did 4 more months of that. It's been black Friday every day since black Friday, until two weeks ago.

The dispensaries and liquor stores here just ground to a halt, too. They're stocked for the first time in months and I'm guessing it's not the supply chain being fixed.

So, I dont know if that's COMPLETELY true. People are definitely slowing down. We thought we were recession proof... well, I knew the truth it just sucks its finally here.

• Options
    edited July 30, 2020 4:30PM

@Wolf359 said:
    ASE Prices on eBay, Auctions are almost all over $30 and rising. The only low prices around 28 (BUY IT NOW) appear to be sellers who don't know better or are trying to hold the price down.

Separation from COMEX paper nearly complete.

I bought a bunch of maples today and a fair amt of proofs. Theres entire swaths of items being wiped out I assume by powerbuyers. I'm personally buying 20 30 40 50 items from sellers. I knew I can't be the only one doing this, or the only one with maxed watchlists on multiple accts, it just sucks to finally meet so many more people who just don't give a shh about the numbers and just want the picture.

Some UK coins that weren't hot the other day were pulling 50 bucks each! 25 more bucks than two days ago. Theres random MS morgans pulling $45-$55.

I was holding some pandas at 35 and did 41.02, ruined by a 75. Those keep happening. Someone crushed me on a ton of stuff 3h ago, someone really made me feel small this morning haha.

I am having sub 85 nuclear silver bids kicking back. I'm not normally that stupid but I kept seeing it happen, figured the guy was shilling. Nope. Chased a pf69 random date eagle to 91 today, but really, I just wanted the other guy to pay more.

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:

So, I dont know if that's COMPLETELY true. People are definitely slowing down. We thought we were recession proof... well, I knew the truth it just sucks its finally here.

Could be the realization the $600 UI kicker is ending tomorrow

• Options
    edited July 30, 2020 4:40PM

Yeppers.. I feared for awhile that benefit was the only reason why e-stores with do-at-home stuff have been going wild. Other resellers have mentioned a little slowdown. But during normal times we get them near the end of the month.

I fear not just for coin and metal sellers on Ebay, or Amazon, but for anyone anywhere. Its gonna be every platform and every item and digital good. Artists are about to get hit real hard.

Admittedly, we dont need my wife's unemployment and I've been loving my free government half ounce of gold a week for the past few months, plus what the state gives her that we dont need, so like 1.15 ozt. that I wont be buying every week now that the benefit is over.

• Options

@Azurescens said:
    Yeppers.. I feared for awhile that benefit was the only reason why e-stores with do-at-home stuff have been going wild. Other resellers have mentioned a little slowdown. But during normal times we get them near the end of the month.

I fear not just for coin and metal sellers on Ebay, or Amazon, but for anyone anywhere. Its gonna be every platform and every item and digital good. Artists are about to get hit real hard.

Admittedly, we dont need my wife's unemployment and I've been loving my free government half ounce of gold a week for the past few months, plus what the state gives her that we dont need, so like 1.15 ozt. that I wont be buying every week now that the benefit is over.

Well then, enjoy the welfare check. Semper Fi!!

• Options

@taxmad said:

@Azurescens said:

Could be the realization the $600 UI kicker is ending tomorrow

could the next step be forced selling of the purchases?

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@Azurescens said:

Well then, enjoy the welfare check. Semper Fi!!

Yes, I'm very much enjoying being reimbursed for all my tax dollars bailing out faceless corporations and tax-free entities in 08 and again, um, now... and the airlines.. churches.. again soon.