Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Restoration

ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

I have never submitted for restoration and grading. A couple questions:

1. Can this be selected with online submittals? I made it as far as where you enter the coins and don't see where you can select it. Maybe I need to print and submit the PDF?

2. If PCGS deems the coins do not need restoration will they grade them anyway as they would usually?

Comments

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2020 3:55PM

This is the form I use
    https://www.pcgs.com/submissionform/restorationcoin.pdf?v=2020v2
    So far as question #2
    Coins that are damaged or cleaned will be returned & there is a small evaluation charge.

A picture of the coin & description of the problem might help with receiving better advice.
    I've used the service twice and been very happy with it.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS has been inconsistent with restoration procedures.

Generally, if a coin is submitted for restoration and PCGS doesn't feel it will help (or they don't want to do it for whatever reason), the coin is returned. An evaluation fee is charged.

If the submitter asks for restoration and grading...and PCGS refuses restoration, then a raw coin will be graded and encapsulated. A slabbed coin is returned as is. Fees apply.

But it is best to cite your desires in plain language boldly across the submission form to avoid a SNAFU. A forum friend recently asked for restoration-only and PCGS rejected it. Instead of returning it as-is PCGS cracked and regraded it, giving it a small grade bump but one that hurt its market value (think 58+ to 61/62).

The best advice is to get your questions answered by Customer Support and then document what you want ON THE SUBMISSION FORM, not in some attached note that will get separated.
    Lance.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had one or two success stories with restoration and many more disappointments. Mostly, I don't feel a strong need to use the service at this point, but I would consider it for the right coin.

I sent in a coin recently and they did a restoration and returned it in a holder with a lower grade. They shouldn't do that (at least not without paying the grade guarantee), and they asked that it come back for review. The coin was then put in a new holder at the original grade. The coin was improved (a little), but the process ate up 3 months between multiple trips through the mail, COVID delays, and time at the grading service.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had one item restored (a medal) and I was quite happy with the results.

• DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2020 1:42AM

What do they do besides dipping it in acetone and letting a sonic cleaner handle the rest?

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeutscherGeist said:
    What do they do besides dipping it in acetone and letting a sonic cleaner handle the rest?

The techniques and chemicals they use to conserve coins is proprietary and they won't tell you.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have heard (here and elsewhere) good reports on their restoration service... and if they do not think it can help, they will not do it. You could post pictures here of your coin and get some inputs - not the same as when the service has the coin in hand, but could help your decision. Cheers, RickO

• WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Has anyone heard of a coin going through the restoration process that was NOT asked for?

HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

I put my 1794 $ through PCGS restoration- it had a chocolate milk-like spot on the obverse- overall I’m pleased, the spot is gone, but it seems like restoration always leaves a telltale oily or shiny look to the coin (at least to me- here’s the coin see what you think)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file