Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1951 roosevelt for big money

davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 20, 2020 7:56AM in U.S. Coin Forum

https://www.greatcollections.com/merch.php?id=853268

I was a losing bid on this lot, but was surprised when I saw last evening what this coin went for. It has nice color, but I was surprised. Am I missing it as a variety?

David

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

Comments

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked at that one early in the week. It’s pretty, but I must be missing the same thing you are.
    I guess it’s not tooo far above PCGS retail for a + (which it’s not graded at). There apparently were two people two viewed it as worth that. I hope one is really happy today and I assume one is not.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went as far as checking the Cherrypickers Guide for the 1951. I didn't see anything.

I think when it comes to the grade + toning and the luster on this dime ... bidders love this stuff and will pay.

Just my opinion.

• Options
    Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried making a few strong bids on it before dropping out at $300. I definitely think it ends up in at least a 7+ holder and maybe a couple bidders thought it has a chance at an 8?

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭

I think a lesson was learned when they graded dimes MS 68 with obvious hits. this one looks relative mark free with nice original tone, a solid coin in my book.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many people now feel that the rattler/OGH holders have been picked over so attention is being paid to the solid blue and even the blue fade holders by those looking for upgrade contenders. I don't know if this one falls into that category but its possible.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not bid on the coin, but my experience indicates to me that the 1951 issue is not as often found with attractive toning as something like the 1951-S, so perhaps that had something to do with it. Alternatively, the coin appears to be covered with pretty strong die polish lines, which might make some think it could get into a PCGS PL holder (if they now offer that for Roosevelt dimes) and then it would be worth significantly more.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    Many people now feel that the rattler/OGH holders have been picked over so attention is being paid to the solid blue and even the blue fade holders by those looking for upgrade contenders. I don't know if this one falls into that category but its possible.

It's in a recent vintage holder. I really like the toning, especially for a 51P (which is a tough date for nice color), but I almost never pay up big for upgrade candidates based solely on photos. I watched, but didn't bid.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:

@coinbuf said:

It's in a recent vintage holder. I really like the toning, especially for a 51P (which is a tough date for nice color), but I almost never pay up big for upgrade candidates based solely on photos. I watched, but didn't bid.

You're right that it's a hard date with vibrant colour.
    Most are brownish/orange/grey with subdued luster.
    Once in a while you will see a flashy white one with golden/yellow/orange rims but that's about it.
    I bid on this one but dropped out when I thought the profit in it was gone.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2020 2:49PM

It sold for a bit over 67+ money, according to the PCGS price guide. I did not look up auction history or anything else. That does not seem unusual for a coin that a few people want to engage in a bidding war over. That said, it seems like a big gamble based on the photos provided. The amount of carbon spotting through "BERT" that has eaten through the luster layer, along with possible carbon at the rim at 4:30-8:30 on the obverse seems to be quite limiting for the coin. There's a possible carbon spot on the neck and up in the hair. Some of the color is decent but it isn't magical by any stretch. It certainly isn't FB/FT either. I think the coin is okay but would not have been for me.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice dime

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:
    Here's the 1951 in my Registry set, also graded MS67. I paid about a fifth of what the Sunset coin went for, but to be fair, I don't think mine has as much upgrade potential.

Jason,

You'd be crazy not to submit your 51 multiple times for upgrade. That's a solid + coin, or better.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davids5104 said:
    https://www.greatcollections.com/merch.php?id=853268

I was a losing bid on this lot, but was surprised when I saw last evening what this coin went for. It has nice color, but I was surprised. Am I missing it as a variety?

David

This will end up in a + holder.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

I agree on your coin being a good shot a +. All you have to lose is a fee!!!

Dan
  • Options

Felt that coin was undergraded, not a 68 but worthy of a 67+
    was an underbidder as well.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2020 10:39AM

It is a very nice piece.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looked at the bid history. Bidder # 9 went big early. How big? We may never know ...

:o

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file