Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Zoom Zoom We're Going to the Moon!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 19, 2020 6:36PM in U.S. Coin Forum

How many times do you keep on bidding beyond thought of how much something should be worth because you want to win?

I have two pieces in front of me, one from Heritage and one from Stack's. I didn't know how much they should be worth and they went well past my initial estimates but I kept bidding until I won.

As it turns out, they are two of my favorite pieces. One is unique. The other is a pop 2. Neither have prior auction history.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the scenario you described it doesn’t sound like you could put a price to them. Congrats.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it... congrats on the win.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huge bids aren’t necessarily bad. Knowing when to do it is the trick.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    How many times do you keep on bidding beyond thought of how much something should be worth because you want to win?

I have two pieces in front of me, one from Heritage and one from Stack's. I didn't know how much they should be worth and they went well past my initial estimates but I kept bidding until I won.

As it turns out, they are two of my favorite pieces. One is unique. The other is a pop 2. Neither have prior auction history.

That's good. I think you did good. For rare coin if you like it you need to bid high on it because you don't want to miss it. Once you missed it you might not be able to get it again. congratulation.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I want/need something really bad then I bid until I am about to feel nauseous and jittery based on my budgetary restraints. That's when I usually stop. ;):D

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's great!

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2020 7:54PM

@keyman64 said:
    If I want/need something really bad then I bid until I am about to feel nauseous and jittery based on my budgetary restraints. That's when I usually stop. ;):D

Good point! And thanks everyone!

These were fun because they were within my admittedly stretched budget so I was able to remain a contender without thinking about value too much. There are other pieces I want that zoom out of my budget so fast that my head spins! And there are others which are going to the edge so I do need to think about when I put the brakes on.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool. I'd like to see the pics when they get in

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve done it, then got bailed out. A few weeks ago I was going through an auction site and bidding (and getting outbid immediately) on stuff. I got to a quarter that was low that I liked and started going up. I kept going up and up until I was winning only to then realize it had another week before it closed. I was the winner on it until about an hour before it closed. During the week I fell out of love with it and got really scared I was going to be stuck with it. It took up my whole budget so I couldn’t bid on other stuff. I think I would be thrilled with it if it had closed when I thought it was going to, but then I got thrilled a week later when I lost it by the minimum increment.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins...They sound like interesting coins.... and when I really, really want something, I go all in....So that is understandable. From your post, you seem very happy you won... and when in hand, please show us pictures and tell us if you are still happy with them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited July 20, 2020 6:57AM

@ShaunBC5 said:
    I’ve done it, then got bailed out. A few weeks ago I was going through an auction site and bidding (and getting outbid immediately) on stuff. I got to a quarter that was low that I liked and started going up. I kept going up and up until I was winning only to then realize it had another week before it closed. I was the winner on it until about an hour before it closed. During the week I fell out of love with it and got really scared I was going to be stuck with it. It took up my whole budget so I couldn’t bid on other stuff. I think I would be thrilled with it if it had closed when I thought it was going to, but then I got thrilled a week later when I lost it by the minimum increment.

Glad you made it out! I've also been in the "Please, someone else bid!" mode. Luckily, I've been bailed out in the past as well, but it can affect budgeting as you mention.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins I checked my email and the site everyday hoping somebody else wanted it just a little more than me. Probably the first time I cheered over a loss of any kind.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unique and pop 2 says it all. Get them now or never see them for sale again. Congrats.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file