Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rising gold prices and the collectible gold market

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much does this affect the price of non-bullion collector coins? Say coins MS65 graded or up?

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much.

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

I am doing a set of $2.50 gold Indian in PCGS AU 58 minus the key date. These coins are now costing about 20% more.

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

My casual observation is that everything gold is up from 2019. Anything I want to buy anyway!

+20% seems about in the ballpark.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

They go up, traditionally.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much in current market, trend been down since 2010...

BV and Numismatic value are not the same thing.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Not much in current market, trend been down since 2010...

BV and Numismatic value are not the same thing.

Agree, though as others have noted what is being asked can be seen to have increased, but just try selling for that same 20% and it is a different matter. :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bullion value (plus premium) and numismatic value are two different areas, though the bullion value may at times of a rising market may eat into the numismatic premium. Of course, this is not a 'rule', and often cases can be shown where the effect is not present. Many variables such as rarity and market conditions come into play. Bottom line is 'know your product, know the market'. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2020 10:05AM

MS65 $20 Hi Relief - essentially 0% (same comment for MS65 $1, $2-1/2, $3, $4, $5, $10 gold pieces).
    MS65 $20 Saint - about a 23% premium to melt (1.23X melt)

If the gold price rises high enough the metal price premiums on MS65 Saints will probably shrink to 3-10% over melt.

This is a far cry from 1989 when slabbed MS65 Saints were $4000 each at a gold price of around $500 (8X). The premiums have been sliding ever since. In Nov 2009 MS65 Saints brought about 2X their melt value.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2020 10:16AM

@roadrunner said:
    MS65 $20 Hi Relief - essentially 0% (same comment for MS65 $1, $2-1/2, $3, $4, $5, $10 gold pieces).
    MS65 $20 Saint - about a 23% premium to melt (1.23X melt)

If the gold price rises high enough the metal price premiums on MS65 Saints will probably shrink to 3-10% over melt.

This is a far cry from 1989 when slabbed MS65 Saints were $4000 each at a gold price of around $500 (8X). The premiums have been sliding ever since. In Nov 2009 MS65 Saints brought about 2X their melt value.

A chart of MS65 Saint Premium to Melt vs. Certified MS65 population over time would be illustrative of this trend ...
    How many more are Pcgs and Ngc slabbing- today?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many more are being slabbed year by year? LOTs. It's not that these $20's are being coined today....but returning from hiding all around the world to the TPG's. In the end, it actually isn't much different than IF they were being coined today.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Bullion value (plus premium) and numismatic value are two different areas, though the bullion value may at times of a rising market may eat into the numismatic premium.

A lot of things about so called human intelligence upset me.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim
    Great picture (can I steal it?) and nice set of Saints!

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MidLifeCrisis said:
    @ReadyFireAim
    Great picture (can I steal it?) and nice set of Saints!

Sure ;)
    You can see a wave of green on the PCGS price sheet where lower grade coins catch up in value to higher graded ones.
    Check out the 1915-S in 64-65
    I takes a LONG time before the rising tide lifts the gems/premium gems. (auction prices recorded)
    In the mean time, those that have them, just feel insulted.
    https://www.pcgs.com/prices/detail/st-gaudens-20/67/most-active

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2020 8:54AM

US Gold Better dates value based more on demand / market conditions.

US Gold Coins trading close to BV will fluctuate based on price of gold especially generic high pop issues. They are in competition with slabbed mods and slabbed world gold (much lower pops). Many are starting to wake up to fact Mexico 50 Peso early 20th century Gold and second republic gold very scarce vs US pop wise and searching for this material either slabbed or to put on slab bus. USGTC probably saw their heyday around 1989.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2020 9:39AM

Uggg @Jinx86 don't do it. Sell at spot no need to melt those beautiful girls.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mama needs a new Cartier bracelet sourced from that pot.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

+20%?

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Older pic back when I could buy these at 99% of melt and net 99.5 from my refiner.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jinx86 said:
    Older pic back when I could buy these at 99% of melt and net 99.5 from my refiner.

I had to laugh.
    Thought to myself that's got to be an older picture.
    Still a shame I dont have one of those yet.

• Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭

It is somewhat convoluted but rising PM prices drive the numismatic market in a very big way.

Almost all but the largest coin dealers make a significant % of their income by simply buying and selling PM related materials.

Whether it is jewelry, bullion or coins they profit off the buy-sell spread and the PRICE -VOLUME of activity.

Stocks, coins, PMs or Beanie Babies....... rising prices lead to rising volume of trades and vice versa.

Also a 3% buy-sell spread on $1000 gold is 1/2 of the same profit with $2000 gold.

Now many if not most of those dealers do have some real personal interest in the numismatic market and as their incomes increase with rising prices so does their interest in adding to their own collection.....

Same thing with collectors. ...most find it easier to add to a position in a rising market than to add in a declining market.

Net-net to a significant degree rising PM prices drive volume, profit and interest in general.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file