Home U.S. Coin Forum

how would you conserve these proof coins?

KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

These two coins are pretty solid aside from the "stuff" . Does anyone have any advice on how to properly remove the gunk without damaging the coin surface? I have no experience dealing with copper or nickel.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Start with pure acetone (not the nail polish remover - the good stuff)...let it soak (covered, because acetone evaporates fast) for a few hours, then swish it around... do NOT rub it. Put new acetone in the dish and let it soak some more. Then take a Qtip and roll it gently where any remaining gunk is...not rub, roll. It should come off.... let us know what happens. Cheers, RickO

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Start with pure acetone (not the nail polish remover - the good stuff)...let it soak (covered, because acetone evaporates fast) for a few hours, then swish it around... do NOT rub it. Put new acetone in the dish and let it soak some more. Then take a Qtip and roll it gently where any remaining gunk is...not rub, roll. It should come off.... let us know what happens. Cheers, RickO

And rinse in distilled water.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would second what's already been written.

But it is likely terminal, especially in a proof. You are always going to see the spots even if you can remove the gunk.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

The crime is over but the evidence cannot be erased. Having said that getting the PVC off now is the best thing to do.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with acetone. I would also consider MS70 on the nickel.

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look like the dreaded PVC, alright.

Do the soak and the Q-tip gentle roll like ricko said...and pray.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch. Acetone will take off the PVC, but I'd be astonished if it hasn't destroyed the mirrors underneath.

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for the comments. I think they will spend the weekend bathing..

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a Hallmark proof 65 LIB nickel with green-goo than that Jeff. I soaked it in diluted white ammonia over night. All the green came off. A tiny shadow remained where the spot had been. Still re-graded PF65 on submission.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'll be an optimist and say if done right, i think these babies will shine again. keep us apprised.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can almost picture in my head the album those coins were in! I think.....

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck !!! 🙏

Timbuk3
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget to use plastic tongs to hold those guys by the edges. Drum roll please......Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2020 9:50AM

I agree with roadrunner on the nickel - ammonia brief soak, then tamp with ammonia-soaked Q-tips and then liberal wash and tamp dry with the high nap cotton white towel. I've done it with far more valuable coins with good success.

The cent is problematic; too bad lovely color but may not respond to the gentle techniques as above. I would try the acetone mentioned but not prolonged exposure obviously. That green looks to NOT be just superficial.

I would not expect much on the nickel grade, even if it cleans.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

The damage has been done. As you guys had said, the mirror surface has been etched.

The acetone soak and following rub only took off some residue. MS70 peeled the remaining right off.

I think the Lincoln looks ok. The spotting is not as distracting as the Nickel.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

As expected, very unfortunate but no more damage will happen now that the PVC is removed.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file