Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need a little help in getting some more information regarding a Temperance Token \ Medal

JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 17, 2020 1:26AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've been trying to get some additional info on this Temperance token but I can't seem to come up with much.
There is one that was selling on ebay, may still be there, that suggested that this could be a rare token but without anything to qualify that I take it with a grain of salt. I enjoy the token for it's connection to Boston history but I'd love to learn more. Any info is appreciated. Feel free to share one of your temperance tokens if you've got one.

Info is an excerpt from "Numismatics of Massachusetts"

Comments

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never seen that one before. I like the eagle design.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting token.... However, I do not support the message....I would have to give up wine :o Not going to happen... ;):D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm very good at researching things and I have not found any info on this token, there have been 4 or 5 different sites selling this token but they all appear to be the same piece.
    i will not give up, I will find something...................someday :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has the look of a token struck by Scovill of Waterbury CT which of course produced many of the NY - New England 19th Century tokens. I"m thinking that it was issued around the time - or possibly in conjunction with - the Bunker Hill Celebration of 1840 which would account for the small Bunker Hill inscription on the shield. At first I thought that might be too early but on comparison the die work is similar to the Andrew Jackson, Martin Van Buren and William Henry Harrison political medalettes of the same period many of which were made by Scovill. Storer may have had the same thought as he suggests 1842? as a possible date.

A quick check of the Temperance Movement on Wikipedia (sorry) shows that Temperance with both active and somewhat radical in Massachusetts during the 1830's. " In 1838, temperance activists pushed the Massachusetts legislature to pass a law restricting the sale of alcohol in quantities less than fifteen gallons. " The 1840 Celebration might be a starting place to look for further mention of this piece.

• Options
    SenateSaloonSenateSaloon Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

I believe that token (or something similar) was mentioned in an 1862 book entitled “An Arrangement of Medals and Tokens Struck in Honor of the Presidents of the United States” by Alfred Satterlee at page 65. It is also mentioned in an 1858 book entitled “An Arrangement of Tradesmen’s Cards, Political Tokens, Also, Election Medals . . ..”
    There is definitely information out there- good luck hunting it down.

• Options
    edited July 17, 2020 8:49AM

who needs luck
    here it is No. 11

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    edited July 17, 2020 8:50AM

@JohnnyCache
    and here is a link to the entire publication from 1858
    https://archive.org/details/arrangementoftra00bush/mode/2up

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat piece. I have never seen it before.

And kudos on the attribution!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston Remarkable job! And, to @JohnnyCache , cool token.

Mark

• Options

Thanks @Mark

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2020 9:26AM

Thank you all so very much!
    I had really hit bit of a road block. This information solidly helps to confirm the date range that was suspected and hopefully will act as a thread to help me find yet more information.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file