Home Metal Detecting
Options

Ever find a buried chariot while detecting?

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

This guy did.

The team had to dig down ten inches until they spotted their first two clues. There was a pair of iron wheels in the ground. The experts believed they would have once been used on a chariot.

Piecing it together

The team started to put all the pieces together as they continued to look for clues. Eventually, they had all they needed to figure out what Mike had discovered. The brooch was actually part of the harness. They also found a rein guide named a terret, harness fitting…strap unions, and a horses bridle with the bit still attached. All of a sudden, they knew that Mike had uncovered a Celtic chariot that came complete with all the trimmings. The iron wheels would have once been used over wooden versions.

Painting the scene
It’s believed the findings date back to somewhere between 25 and 75 CE. The metal pieces would have once been painted bright red.

to much to cut and paste - full story here if interested
https://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=A0geK.Zh8Q1fi5gAET9pCWVH;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1594778082/RO=10/RU=https://worldation.com/stories/man-finds-old-buried-chain-and-pulls-at-it-discovers-relic-from-the-iron-age-nttb//RK=0/RS=YJ86NLO7FAXstxHc2CGE.BxDl3c-

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

Found a buried mini in a pasture in England (Stofold, Hitchin, Hertz). Had a brand new BFO detector in 1974. Got my "gas pipe" finding license from the government, got permission to hunt in the pasture (beware of fresh piles of horse stuff, it's sticky and hot and smells bad). First find was a horseshoe about 2 inches down. Next was a monster signal. Started digging around, hole got wider and deeper. Owner came out and said "oh mate, that's my old mini car, she gave up the ghost, we dug a hole and buried her here, please fill the hold back in". Lots of excitement for me but not treasures.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... Those are HUGE finds....In the volume sense of the word... ;) Never found anything that large... an axe head and once a tire rim. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats so cool.
    Hope nothing else was attached.

I once found the shoulder fringe of a uniform, close to the Brandywine Battle Field. Looked like petrafied wood.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

How cool is that!!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way cool