Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Altered surface or unplated zinc planchet error?

JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 24, 2020 3:27PM in U.S. Coin Forum

.

Comments

  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Heat toned would be my dumb guess.

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Is it possible to take a normal post 1982 copper plated zinc cent and then zinc plate the copper plating?

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2020 3:28PM

    .

  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Jimnight said:

    I'm in for 27.06 on this cent.

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2020 3:28PM

    .

  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Next time you are bored take some of your pocket change to the kitchen and cook up a batch.
    It can help you to spot them in the future.

  • Options
    MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If the coin is silvery/white, then it is an unplated error coin. The luster is the tell.

    If it is a function of the lighting or simply toned, then it is not an error. I’m leaning towards it being toning.

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2020 3:29PM

    .

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The pictures are great, but I cannot tell much without the coin in hand.... could be temperature induced....or thinly plated planchet....Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Does not appear to be an unplated Planchard from the photos

    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors for PCGS. A 50+ Year PNG Member.A full-time numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @FredWeinberg .... Hi Fred, I am curious.... in the post above, you wrote 'Planchard'...I looked it up and the dictionary has no listing. Is this the same as 'planchet'? Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @FredWeinberg said:
    Does not appear to be an unplated Planchard from the photos

    Thank you ... You are a very valuable asset to this forum.

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ricko said:
    @FredWeinberg .... Hi Fred, I am curious.... in the post above, you wrote 'Planchard'...I looked it up and the dictionary has no listing. Is this the same as 'planchet'? Cheers, RickO

    Typo. It happens to the best of us. :D

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

    I lean heavily towards heat treated. Give it a quick dip and I bet it turns pink.

    Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2020 3:29PM

    .

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2020 3:30PM

    .

  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I spoke my post into my iPad, and
    my iPad said "planchard', not me !

    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors for PCGS. A 50+ Year PNG Member.A full-time numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022.
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @FredWeinberg said:
    I spoke my post into my iPad, and
    my iPad said "planchard', not me !

    That's why we call it auto-corrupt

    -----Burton
    ANA 50+ year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
    Author: 3rd Edition of the SampleSlabs book, https://sampleslabs.info/
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2020 5:12AM

    .

  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Jimnight said:
    I did weigh it and it comes up 2.50gr

    That's about the correct weight.

    I venture to say it has a "bronzish hue" to it. Strange, but neat color.

    Don't feel bad. That coin would have also caught my eye.

    If the seller wants to be a jerk about it, that's on HIM............not you.

    Pete

    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2020 3:31PM

    .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file