Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Columbian Medal for keets

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 12, 2020 10:02PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just ran across this medal in NGC's 2018 Top 5 Medal list when I was looking up one of my medals also on the list.

This looks to match the one he just picked up well.

One of the most beautiful medals associated with the Columbian Exposition that NGC graded was this giant 3.5-inch medal honoring Columbus. The medal was issued to commemorate the Italian-American Exposition that was held in Genoa, Italy in 1892, which celebrated the 400th anniversary of the discovery of America. This exposition ran from July 10 to December 4 and drew 808,572 visitors, versus the much larger Columbian Expo in Chicago, which ran from May 1, 1893 to October 30, 1893, and drew over 27 million visitors.

This is a larger version of Eglit-427, and is similar to Eglit-273. The American version from the Columbian Expo in Chicago is Eglit-55, and was made by the same firm. The obverse features a half-length bust of Columbus wearing a soft cap, holding a chart. The reverse has two female figures — an Indian Princess pointing out to a seated Italia three caravels sailing towards a setting sun (Columbus’ three ships that began the voyage). Exposition buildings are behind them, and the arms of Genoa above. Eglit notes that this medal “is one of the finest examples of the works of Wilhelm Mayer.” Mayer’s initials appear on the smaller version. The medal above is gilt-bronze and graded NGC MS 64. It also exists in bronze, aluminum, and presumably silver.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/7108/medals/

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful medal, such detail.... Medals and coins just do not seem to be designed with such art anymore....Sad. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, the same reverse with a different obverse. I have seen that, also, via a link when I was searching other medals and it is indeed a beautiful medal. there's a 90mm version in Bronze that has been hanging around eBay for quite some time, the price indicates that it will be there for some time into the future!! :p I have also seen one at my "super-secret-search-site" where I've been able to purchase items but never get an e-mail reply to questions.

I would snap up a nice Bronze medal but this Gilt gem would see a healthy bid from me if it ever shows up. thanks for posting it. B)

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2020 9:48AM

On the bright side....I just heard that several national media outlets are considering switching to a new format where the focus will be U.S. coins. 24/7. The old SWITCHAROO! I hope the reports are true because then I can start watching T.V. again and we will be freed- up here on the forum to discuss important non- coin related issues. It's a win-win!

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2020 9:37AM

I guess topstuf thinks slavery is funny. Wow, that's pretty special. I guess it is good to know who our local racists might be.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2020 9:55AM

Nothing like starting the week off on a happy note.

• Options
    edited July 13, 2020 12:08PM

@abcde12345 said:

@keyman64 said:
    I guess topstuf thinks slavery is funny. Wow, that's pretty special. I guess it is good to know who our local racists might be.

Nope. I betcha he simply finds you bringing up politics on a coin thread is funny.

Historical things/events/figures are not always just conveniently lumped into modern politics as you or he might like. I said nothing funny, false, offensive or historically incorrect. I said nothing about modern politics. I said nothing about any particular political party. You claiming otherwise would be incorrect. Many coins/medals are all about history. If this history is too inconvenient for you or others, there are other hobbies to partake in. It is nearly impossible to separate the history from the item depicted. That medal seems to celebrate a person and parts of history that should not be celebrated, for many reasons. If you would like to somehow separate the artistic merits of the medal from the history, I would still say it is difficult but it could be argued that it could possibly be done.

Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was defending you. . .

• Options

@keyman64 said:

@abcde12345 said:

@keyman64 said:

Nope. I betcha he simply finds you bringing up politics on a coin thread is funny.

You say that you said nothing "historically incorrect." Riddle me this. .......Since Columbus never set foot in any part of what is currently the continental United States, how exactly did he enslave natives "here?"

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@keyman64 said:

@abcde12345 said:

@keyman64 said:

You say that you said nothing "historically incorrect." Riddle me this. .......Since Columbus never set foot in any part of what is currently the continental United States, how exactly did he enslave natives "here?"

Ahhh, I should have said the West Indies, including Puerto Rico. Good catch!

This discussion has been closed.