Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Photo Arrangement Preference

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 11, 2020 10:01PM in U.S. Coin Forum

When viewing photos of obverse and reverse sides, do you prefer to have them positioned horizontally (like current TrueViews) or vertically?

One thing I've noticed is that vertical lets you see larger images on both computers and mobile phones.

Horizontal lets you see both sides on a computer while vertical is nice to see both sides on a mobile phone.

Photo Arrangement Preference

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vertical

I like vertical. It’s how I flip a coin to see the other side.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2020 9:56PM
    Horizontal

I think it's natural to look left & right to compare things rather than up & down. Also computer screens are wider than they are tall.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Horizontal

@ms70 said:
    I think it's natural to look left & right to compare things rather than up & down. Also computer screens are wider than they are tall.

What he said

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just do not care.... Show me the pictures....Much more important issues to deal with... Like fixing breakfast and getting dressed for work.... :#>:) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2020 10:01AM
    Vertical

I like looking at just one side at a time with no peripheral view.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Horizontal

Does anyone know the max width on a forum thread? I like the side by side look of the TrueViews but my photos end up being vertical. My 500x500 images will not side by side.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the same feeling as the original comment. I generally prefer horizontal but vertical works much better for me on the phone and tablet screen.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Horizontal

I like the side by side look of the TrueViews but my photos end up being vertical. My 500x500 images will not side by side.

this is all a result of mobile devices, cell phones and such.

the industry went from an approximately square desktop monitor to a rectangular monitor, approximately one-and-one-half times as wide as it is high. that was great, it allowed more information to be displayed and split screens were now more easily viewed. then web sites such as this one decided they needed to reconfigure for mobile devices and cell phones. the result is that now my 24" screen has about 7" of blank space which turns into about 10" after I scroll past the "Quick Links" on the right side of the page. further, if you consider the new width of the thread box I am only using half of the 24" screen.

I hated the change when it first took place and still find it annoying but I've gotten use to it.

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Horizontal

i also like third photo--the view of the slab front.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Horizontal

The advantage a phone has with vertically paired images disappears when you rotate your phone.

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    Does anyone know the max width on a forum thread? I like the side by side look of the TrueViews but my photos end up being vertical. My 500x500 images will not side by side.

It looks like it's just over 800 pixels. These two are each 400x400. They render side-by-side unless you make the screen narrow, and then they render vertically. This is one way to have it both ways, but you need to reduce the image size and you need to know what to reduce it to.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2020 10:01AM

Interesting results. I didn't think horizontal would be so high. I've been leading towards vertical because I like the larger images on both computers and mobile.

Perhaps the dual approach by some here would be the best?

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Horizontal

Hopefully this will be some useful information. After experimenting on a standard desktop with a 20" screen, the max image that will side by side is 415 pixels. (830 total) 420 will stack, 415 will format side by side.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2020 12:38PM
    Horizontal

When I set out to photo-document my collection I created a template that I've used ever since. The basic idea was borrowed (stolen) from other photos I've seen here. The image is native 1200 x 720 pixels but it's a little smaller when it shows up here. I also have an 800x800 template I use for slightly higher-res shots of each side.

Each has advantages. The side-by-side is better for showing maximum information in a little space. The over-under is better for handheld devices and for showing fine detail.

Sometimes I show it like this for GTG threads and for times when the grade or grading service isn't relevant. Gold usually looks better on black though:

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2020 12:40PM
    Horizontal

Horizontal just looks better to me.

Easier to compare obverse and reverse.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji