Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I sent in a group of NGC-graded coins to PCGS for crossover. How did I do?

cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 11, 2020 10:03AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

In early June I sent in a submission of 14 Great Britain coins, all graded by NGC as below:

Apparently, PCGS assigns certificate numbers and descriptions to all submitted coins, just to keep track of them. Well, I just got the grades back from PCGS. Can you guess how well or poor I did?

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 plus 2 upgrades? That's a great crossover!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully plenty Er than I have done recently. Seemingly very strict right now

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cardinal are you collecting these by date?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cardinal, what was the role of the gilt copper coins? I see them but don't know their history or purpose. Were they intended to circulate?

• Options

@topstuf said:
    Cardinal, what was the role of the gilt copper coins? I see them but don't know their history or purpose. Were they intended to circulate?

The gilt copper coins were for presentations, and not for circulation. These were struck by James Watt Jr at that SOHO mint, and the one shown above was struck by Watt for his own personal collection.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats in connection with the crossovers.

I have some questions... Are you seeking or have you completed a variety set for the 1799 1/2d? If so, is it your experience that the 5 gunports variety can have PL characteristics?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    Congrats in connection with the crossovers.

I have some questions... Are you seeking or have you completed a variety set for the 1799 1/2d? If so, is it your experience that the 5 gunports variety can have PL characteristics?

I kept the set of 1799 1/2d, but sold the Proof sets of 1/4d, 1/2d and 1d in Gilt Copper, Bronzed, and Copper a couple years ago:

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-962HR/great-britain-three-piece-proof-set-1806

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-962H0/great-britain-three-piece-proof-set-1806

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-962G9/great-britain-three-piece-proof-set-1806

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

9 the same 2 downgraded and 3 upgraded. WAG

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal you mean to tell us that all the coins crossed and even few upgraded?

• Options

@Abuelo said:
    @cardinal you mean to tell us that all the coins crossed and even few upgraded?

Yes, all 14 crossed over, with 3 upgraded! If you're surprised by that, so was I!

For those who might be interested, here's the 14 coins in submission order:

Now, you might be thinking, there's duplicates there! Now that these have crossed over, my plan is to reholder them in two-coin holders, so that the obverse and reverse can be seen at that same time.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal 👏👏👏👏👏👏

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

14/14 crossed with three upgrades is a tremendous success!

I think results like this speak volumes about Cardinal's eye for quality and perhaps even more importantly, a strong knowledge of the series and familiarity with the coins available in the market.

Jeff

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭

Much better than my results from sending a batch in the other direction. 60% crossed. Those that did do so at the same grade although I lost a plus on one at I was hoping would be an upgrade. Oh well. Congrats on yours

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent coins!

• Options

I mentioned that the coins above would be put into 2-coin holders, and those above were graded by NGC. The remainder were already graded by PCGS:

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

A tour de force for sure! Thanks for sharing. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

And after all that hassle and shenanigans, you have the same exact 14 coins you started with!

Always buy the coin not the slab/number. You clearly have a good eye, but this proves that if you have a good eye, you don't need to only buy one flavor of plastic!

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if cross by the same grade I would still cross it to PCGS. For better photo, better reputation, better box. NGC sucks.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said:
    Even if cross by the same grade I would still cross it to PCGS. For better photo, better reputation, better box. NGC sucks.

Better box? Lol... wow :D

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

For world coins it depends on the particular country and coin type as to which one has the better reputation.

• Options

Now that I have them all in PCGS holders, I can get them into 2-coin holders, so both obverse and reverse can be seen at the same time.

Then the collection would look like a line up of TrueViews, but being the real thing!!

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said:

I think the box is where I have to draw the line.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭

@neildrobertson said:

@jt88 said:

I think the box is where I have to draw the line.

I dunno - that orange box is really something! I also disagree with the reputation and photo comments. Both companies are good. It depends on the series which one I'll go to as my standard.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

World coin collecting is sort of the last but large frontier where the coin matters... Let's not start with pointless arguments or disparaging remarks about grading services. I like to believe that we are above that sort of foolishness.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.