Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

This is why I worry about new purchases ........

I live in Texas.....

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

Comments

• Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Hmmmmm. Very strange. Maybe the seller sent it to the wrong address? In my area, things typically go to New Jersey (I live near Philly), even if the buyer lives in the South. But something is wrong here.

American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m guessing you don’t live in Puerto Rico

• Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭

Correct
    I live in Texas

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any chance the seller provided you with the wrong tracking number? Consider contacting the seller if for no other reason to ask some basic questions....hope things turn out okay

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

I have contacted the seller. Waiting to hear back from them.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

How to avoid worrying about new purchases:

1) Find out how and when the package was shipped.
    2) Check the USPS website to see when a claim can be filed for a loss using that particular service.
    3) If the date a claim can be filed arrives before the package, contact the seller and ask them to take care of things.

Don't bother with what USPS's "tracking" shows, unless you really do want to worry. :)

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think @coinkat could be onto something.

I had a package (being sent from Eastern Canada) whose status went to -- delivered in/at mailbox in San Antonio, TX.

I live in Wisconsin.

Turns out the seller provided me the wrong tracking number.

My package with the newly corrected tracking number arrived the following day. :)

Keep the faith...

Jeff

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

The seller is an impeccable one so your money is safe (judging by the mailing address, but perhaps is some one else). That said, I have had similar experiences with the USPS and the coin always arrives, even if late.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

it's not that hard to send the wrong tracking number to the buyer if you sell 100 items per day, i have done that before, i also sent a package to the wrong address before and the receiver was nice enough to forward the package to the intended owner

• Options
    robp2robp2 Posts: 149 ✭✭✭✭

Things do go awry at times. The main thing is they usually turn up, so generally there should be no need to worry. Recently shipping internally or internationally to any country has been problematic. Second class mail in the UK gets there next day more often than not, but a signed for going 30 miles down the road took over 3 weeks.

Due to Covid problems, it took 6 weeks to deliver a parcel to the US (4 weeks of which it was in the US) and 7 weeks for one to New Zealand.

And if you really want evidence that mistakes can be made, three years ago a parcel to France went missing. A couple weeks later tracking showed the item as having arrived - in Tahiti. Only 9000 miles adrift and on the other side of the planet. Thankfully the parcel wasn't lost again, as a future archaeologist might have had difficulty explaining the presence of a parcel of Viking coins on a Pacific island.

• Options

It appears that the address was correct and the zip code was correct, just the USPS deciding to “take the long way home “.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2020 11:46AM

Me: Can you ship it to me by FedEx since it usually gets here in a couple of days
    My Brother: Neah, USPS registered is the best.

USPS Registered 3 weeks later:

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the stress. Hopefully it turns up safe and sound soon!

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2020 11:23AM

It’s my least favorite part if the hobby but part of the deal.

If I’m a buyer I can unhook a little better than if I’m the seller. As a buyer it’s just me not getting my stuff and easier to be made whole, as a seller the extra pressure that my reputation is on the line and is compounded if it’s with a new customer with zero history and worrying about if they’re cool or can keep their composure when things get complicated.

Personally, I’m on the sidelines right now till I sense a little more stability in the shipping world. Unless it’s with a trusted dealer or customer that I know gets the powerlessness and imperfection of shipping situations.

These things typically work out in the end even if they take extra follow up, which can be maddening, ask me how I know. Heck, I’m worrying with you now even! Then the day comes the item arrives, it’s crazy how fast I immediately move onto worrying about something else.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice banana slug. Is that the UC Santa Cruz campus? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Update. Coins are now in Texas, according to tracking. Should have them in hand by Monday or Tuesday!!!! Seems like all is resolved.

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you get your package!

Sometimes the USPS messes up! A year ago, I sent a package from the San Francisco area to someone in Southern California. I sent it by Priority Mail with insurance and signature required. I checked the progress of the package the next morning, and the package had arrived at the local post office of the recipient, and later in the day, it was "Out for Delivery!" Since I required a signature, it might have been a case where the recipient needed to go to the local post office to pick it up. I log into the USPS website to track it, and lo and behold, the package made it's way to Chicago!!! The recipient received the package a week later!

• Options

Coins in hand!!! Whew!!!

• Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know how this feels....not a great feeling. Congrats on getting the coins in hand! Now you will sleep better :smile:

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭✭

Just had a package, 1 of 4, dropped off at PO on 7/6/20 that somehow didn't get scanned. The other 3 were scanned on the 6th and delivered 3/4 days later - scanned at every handoff. The 4th showed up at customer today, not scanned at all until he picked it up. Go figure.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

I have been having nothing but trouble with packages being delivered to me from around the U.S. since the covid but I have had a few of them being and sent by Fedex and all of them was delivered with in 3 days even across to the other side of the country,,,,,,For now on I'm using Fedex for all my coin purchases and mailing. Right now I'm waiting for a coin from Russia that was mailed out on June 17th and according to the tracking it was last proceeded thru a faculty ( twice ) in Russia on july 04 and nothing after that ....Did it even leave the country..... Odin only knows...LOL

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

Patience is definitely the name of the game these days - I had an expensive token disappear in the system for 5 weeks in May-June after leaving Langley HWDC before showing up in USPS tracing.
    But I am feeling much better today because my latest expensive purchase from the UK (same seller) was just scanned as received in SFO, the last trace before that was July 3rd leaving Langley HWDC.
    Less expensive tokens don't seem to encounter the same problems.
    Where they go between the 2 scans is anyone's guess!

R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, package to international will be delay somewhat. To Europe will be delay more. I mailed a coin to France express on July 9, it just arrived France two days ago. So just be patience.

• Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

I believe the original coins that got misrouted by USPS were from us, we had a couple of packages take a crazy trip from central Connecticut to the midwest via Puerto Rico...

We ship out a pretty high number of packages (around 2500 a month or so) so we been seeing some pretty wild tracking, although I would say 95% are still arriving on time, some just disappear temporarily and then just show back up.

The craziest tracking we have had recently was a from a registered package sent to us from Wilton, CT to Middlefield (a total of around 45 miles). It went from Wilton, to NYC, to Boston, to Providence, to Hartford, then finally to us, 14 days later.

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Options

J. D., that is correct. It was my order. You guys were amazing in communication!! Got the coins just fine and I can’t wait to do some more business with you.
    Paul