Home Sports Talk
Options

Those Canucks don't mess around

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 10, 2020 3:50PM in Sports Talk

"..., the Toronto Blue Jays have informed its players that they could face a fine of $750,000, as well as potential jail time, if they are caught anywhere other than the stadium or team hotel."

https://nypost.com/2020/07/10/blue-jays-face-massive-fines-jail-time-for-leaving-team-complex/

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the Blue Jay organization is going to sentence them to Jail? Sounds ridiculous to me. I highly doubt it. I’m not calling out BS on you, just the article itself 🍻

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, that article is terrible. $750,000 fine from where? Not the Blue Jays - they don't have that authority. From the Canadian government? Hardly. It's nonsense.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, players get fined for breaking curfew all the time during training camp or on the road. The team levies the fine. Is it too far out of the question to think they would fine a wealthy athlete $750,000 for actions that could cost the team a ton of money if said player contracts the virus by being somewhere he shouldn't be and then possibly infecting his teammates?

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@AFLfan said:
    Well, players get fined for breaking curfew all the time during training camp or on the road. The team levies the fine. Is it too far out of the question to think they would fine a wealthy athlete $750,000 for actions that could cost the team a ton of money if said player contracts the virus by being somewhere he shouldn't be and then possibly infecting his teammates?

I don’t doubt the fine at all, it’s the Jail talk that I absolutely do not believe.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe those are the maximum penalties under Canadian law for violating the Quarantine Act. Those laws apply to anyone entering the country, even visiting players. If found in violation, they would be arrested and given a scheduled court hearing. Whether or not their actions would demand the maximum penalty, or something much less, would be up for the court to decide.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    I believe those are the maximum penalties under Canadian law for violating the Quarantine Act. Those laws apply to anyone entering the country, even visiting players. If found in violation, they would be arrested and given a scheduled court hearing. Whether or not their actions would demand the maximum penalty, or something much less, would be up for the court to decide.

That makes sense, the confusion for me was about the Blue Jays organization implementing fine + Jail