Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I purchased my first mint-state half dime and received images this morning.

DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it! It is going to CAC next week, so I had images taken of it by the fellow who I submit to CAC through.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Comments

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it quite a bit. Nice thick original skin. It's a lock for the bean unless the number's too high.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice @DelawareBear :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty half dime.

• Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

I don't think it's pretty, & it looks gently lightened near the centers, especially the reverse.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    I like it quite a bit. Nice thick original skin. It's a lock for the bean unless the number's too high.

It is graded 64. I think it is a lock green bean, shot gold bean kind of coin at that grade, but curious to see what JA says. I have been wrong plenty of times before!

@PQueue said:
    I don't think it's pretty, & it looks gently lightened near the centers, especially the reverse.

To each their own. :)

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

I was thinking 64, so will vote BEAN. :)

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks cool to me.
    I had to pull the thread up on my phone to see the pics, so I'm sure it's a smaller image, but I like it. Good luck on the CAC!

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!!! Good luck with submission man

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Her sandal foot is a good sign. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    edited July 10, 2020 7:50AM

@MFeld said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@CoinJunkie said:

It is graded 64. I think it is a lock green bean, shot gold bean kind of coin at that grade, but curious to see what JA says. I have been wrong plenty of times before!

@PQueue said:

I think it’s a nice looking coin. However, I believe that the flat areas on Liberty’s thighs and breasts are virtually certain to prelude a gold sticker from CAC. And if the coin fails to get a green one, it will likely be for the same reason.

Agreed, the flat areas are probably the main limiting factor. It's also hard to gauge the luster from photos, but thick-skinned coins are often somewhat muted in that department. I believe green bean is the most likely outcome.

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2020 8:19AM

@DelawareDoons I like it a lot but I'm wondering what's going on with the second "S" in "STATES." Is it a filled die?

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    android01android01 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous half dime! I love those little works of art. I

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good detail... Looks like a die chip in the second S in States.....Let us know how if fares at CAC. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited July 10, 2020 11:16AM

@ShaunBC5 said:
    Looks cool to me.
    I had to pull the thread up on my phone to see the pics, so I'm sure it's a smaller image, but I like it. Good luck on the CAC!

Here is a direct link to the high-resolution combined image.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/658450807225581621/730992406811377704/1857halfdimengc4tothorizb.jpg

@anablep said:
    @DelawareDoons I like it a lot but I'm wondering what's going on with the second "S" in "STATES." Is it a filled die?

V-5 "Filled S" on this page under 1857.

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/imagecollection/514182

The luster is decent. It appears to have some areas where die clashing was polished off, so in combination with the die chips in the second S of states, it is very likely a later die state. Given that, the luster seems appropriate to me.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent coin!

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Phenomenal example! Well done!!!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2020 1:51PM

Nice V-5 coin and photos.
    Besides the filled lower part of S2,
    the photo also shows die cracks above O and E3 (in AMERICA),
    like Crain #404 https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/imagedetail/613887?col=514182 .

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2020 2:58PM

What the heck is that blob in the last S of STATES?

Nevermind, I see someone already addressed this.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@csdot said:

There have already been comments on it within this thread.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@csdot said:

There have already been comments on it within this thread.

Yep, I saw after I posted. Appears you were responding as I was editing my post to say nevermind.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin!
    I like the toning.
    Good luck.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

The two parts of the pole that the Liberty cap sits on seem to be unable to connect in the hand (based on my poor eyesight).

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:

@MFeld said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@PQueue said:

I think it’s a nice looking coin. However, I believe that the flat areas on Liberty’s thighs and breasts are virtually certain to prelude a gold sticker from CAC. And if the coin fails to get a green one, it will likely be for the same reason.

Agreed, the flat areas are probably the main limiting factor. It's also hard to gauge the luster from photos, but thick-skinned coins are often somewhat muted in that department. I believe green bean is the most likely outcome.

Arent the flat areas indicative of wear which makes it AU?

• Options

@stockdude_ said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@MFeld said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@PQueue said:

Arent the flat areas indicative of wear which makes it AU?

Slight striking weakness with maybe a bit of "cabinet friction", now nicely toned over. I'd be shocked if that coin had graded AU.

• Options

@LanLord said:
    The two parts of the pole that the Liberty cap sits on seem to be unable to connect in the hand (based on my poor eyesight).

Astute observation! I laughed.

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

The areas inside the wreath and outside the lettering on the reverse give me pause. But I still really like the look.

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking yes!!!!!!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    toyonakatarotoyonakataro Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

I graded it 65 before reading the answer

• Options

@panexpoguy said:
    The areas inside the wreath and outside the lettering on the reverse give me pause. But I still really like the look.

Those are areas where the mint employees polished off some clashing, for what it is worth.

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the look of the coin, but I wonder if the toning appears to be applied as its got bubble defects?
    If I am wrong, I'd welcome another opinion from my collecting colleagues.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options

@CommemDude said:
    I like the look of the coin, but I wonder if the toning appears to be applied as its got bubble defects?
    If I am wrong, I'd welcome another opinion from my collecting colleagues.

I'm not sure what causes such "bubble defects", but they're very common on 19th century silver coins and are not an indicator of AT.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the look as a collector. My half dime seated types have a similar look. I've given up guessing what will sticker, AT and NT and all that. Have to leave it to the pros, alas.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a die crack starting to the right of its drapery and ending between #5 and #6 Stars and perhaps branching out to end between #3 and #4 Stars? If not, is it a scratch, possibly?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2020 3:41PM

@jesbroken said:
    Is there a die crack starting to the right of its drapery and ending between #5 and #6 Stars and perhaps branching out to end between #3 and #4 Stars? If not, is it a scratch, possibly?

It can be difficult to positively identify a die crack from a photo of a toned coin.
    I checked my photo collection of 7 other V-5 examples, and none appear to have a die crack in that location.
    I believe the line left of what I call Star 12 (S12; you called it #5) is a light scratch.
    The conventional numbering of stars starts on the lower left of Ms. Liberty and goes clockwise from S1 to S13.
    There appears to be a light die crack or die line from S11 to the rim in most die states, and visible on this coin.
    (It is another example of where it needs to be verified by looking at other coins, because toning can have streaks that look similar to die cracks).

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber
    Thank you for the education, I have owned many of these HDimes but never truly studied them for varieties or die versions.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file