Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Missouri Numismatic Society Coin Show: First Post Review

Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 25, 2020 11:36AM in U.S. Coin Forum

MNS Coin Show Review

I went to the show Friday and Saturday. Scotsman had an auction that i didn’t stay for. I reviewed the lots and they looked great. There were several bust halves i would’ve bid on had I not had to leave early. If someone who stayed for the auction wants to comment that’d be great.

I drove from Nashville and got there around 3 to check in to the hotel. I figured the traffic wouldn’t start to pick up until around then since it was a Thursday. I was wrong. There were several hundred folks in there the entire day start to finish. Both days. Bunch of kids filling albums on Friday, which I thought was cool.

As you could imagine the bullion dealers were absolutely swamped because of the prices. There was a lot of money flying around and a lot of gold and silver bought and sold. A lot of dealers running around haggling with each other. Someone kept crop dusting the main aisle and several people didn’t know what deodorant was. Only Briggs’ table made a big deal about masks. NO MASK NO SERVICE NO EXCEPTIONS. I would say it was About 60/40 people wearing masks. Was excited to see Dempsey & Baxter on the dealer list. They were my childhood coin shop in Erie, PA. They didn’t show up 😑

As you could imagine there were a lot of Morgan dollars for sale, lots of Lincoln cents. Surprisingly there was quite a bit more type gold and early copper for sale than I would’ve thought. Very good selections. Only a handful of tables with a good selection of bust halves, which I mercilessly stalked the floor for.

Overall it was Great venue with lots of happy folks that seemed genuinely excited to see each other.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

Comments

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Normally for me a GREAT show.
    Lots of public, lots of wholesale.. it's a good one.
    No idea how this year will go.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Normally (no idea what that is now btw) a very good show. Almost 200 dealers, plenty of room to get around. Never had any problems in that area of St Louis. With that said I’m staying home. Good luck whatever you decide

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't go anyway.

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Hard to say how it would be under the current virus circumstances.

However, I have been many times in the past. The St. Charles Convention Center is a comfortable venue and easy to find/park at. Usually a decent mix of dealers for US and paper money. Very little World and Ancient material, but plenty of silver dollars and type.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if I had the time, I would pass under current circumstances

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds as if it will be a good show.... Glad to see them having the show, even with the restrictions. Show reports please.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Sounds as if it will be a good show.... Glad to see them having the show, even with the restrictions. Show reports please.... ;) Cheers, RickO

Will do!

My wife has a friend in St. Charles and said she’d actually go to the show. I’m tired of looking at coins on eBay.

• Options
    Shrub68Shrub68 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

Jim Bush and Gary Burhop will be at table #1205. Come see us! With that being said, the Saint Charles Convention Center is really nice and so is the surrounding area.

• Options

@Shrub68 said:
    Jim Bush and Gary Burhop will be at table #1205. Come see us! With that being said, the Saint Charles Convention Center is really nice and so is the surrounding area.

Awesome! If I don’t have to work that weekend I will see you there!

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been to that show many times. It is a great venue with plenty of free parking. It is billed as 180 dealers. The last two tables were sold earlier this week. There are usually several national dealers and a lot of regional dealers. There is also an 877 lot auction on Friday night by Scotsman Auctions that has U.S., foreign, ancients and paper money. I watch the MNS site daily. I plan on attending.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do most of the dealers pack up/depart early on Saturday?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Do most of the dealers pack up/depart early on Saturday?

Yes. Sat afternoon you could fart and no one but you would smell it.

Good way to "gas" the slabs for toning. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it is normally a pretty good show to go to. I have set up there for a few years now and enjoy going every year.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

great show been going for 15 years..... wife and I usually stay at the Ameristar so I can play poker.
    She gets the Spa treatment while I am at the show.... Spa may be closed though due to the Covid

• Options

@habaraca said:
    great show been going for 15 years..... wife and I usually stay at the Ameristar so I can play poker.
    She gets the Spa treatment while I am at the show.... Spa may be closed though due to the Covid

Perfect. So I can basically double my money before the show! :p

• Options

The show is scheduled to open one week for today at noon. It will be the first show of any size since early March.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm rather surprised this show is being allowed to happen.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    I'm rather surprised this show is being allowed to happen.

Im sure they will survive

• Options

Only three days till the show opens! :)

• Options

@golden said:
    Only three days till the show opens! :)

As of now, looking like I’ll be there!

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm really looking forward to reports from this show!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hallco said:
    I'm really looking forward to reports from this show!

I'm disappointed that I won't be there but there will be more shows...... hopefully :|

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has always been a good show, and you couldn't find a better venue than the St. Charles Convention Center.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@Shrub68 said:

I just re-read this... the only coin I bought today was from you guys!

Thanks!

• Options

First post review. Didn’t wanna make a whole new thread...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file