Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Post the first note you remember buying or owning

This is the first small size note I ever purchased. I was always into large size type notes. While at a small local show I saw this note in a vertical display. I have never seen a red seal small size note. Since I did not collect I never looked at them. I thought it was cool so I purchased it for $85. It was not graded, but in a holder. I did have some small silver certificates and legal tender notes in my collection, but those were collected as a kid and I never paid for them. Most of them came from my older brother. Anyway, let's get this party started.

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, nice low number example !!! 👍

Timbuk3
  • Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great note and story Marc.
    I started working at a local auto parts store in the summer of 1970 and needed a part-time job to supplement my meager income. I was able to find a job as an apprentice mechanic doing engine swaps for a neighborhood repair shop. They paid me cash, under the table. I took a brand new one dollar bill from my first payday and mounted to a makeshift wooden frame painted with Chevrolet Orange engine paint and held together with 3M yellow weatherstrip adhesive. I still have it today.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2020 7:59AM

I don't have my first note, but I remember exactly what it was...

FR1267 15c in AU (53 I seem to recall)

I sold it about 10 years ago but when I started collecting fractionals again last fall, I got the same type but nicer condition:

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2020 7:58AM
  • Options
    mfontesmfontes Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

Nice notes too. The story behind the notes is cool and the fact that some of us still have them. I sold most of my collection many years ago, but kept some of the original notes I owned. I have to clarify one thing in my original post, I had never seen a red seal $1 note before I purchased mine. I did know about $2 and $5 notes because I had a few.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have owned this since I was an USAF brat in the early 1970's. My dad gave this and a few coins to me when he returned from Viet-Nam. When the C-Day from transitioning from Series 661 to 681 happened he was out on a mission and was stuck with the MPC he had - which is how he ended up keeping it and thinking I might be interested in it he brought it back. So a collector was born.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2020 4:21AM

One dollar silver certificate found in 1962/63.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Hallmark graded Stanton 50c in this picture. Still have it ... in fact still have all of the pieces in this picture (which I took over 15 years ago). I bought the note at the ANA show in Seattle 30 years ago now. One of these days I'll have to bring it home again and get a proper picture of it to share.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    mfontesmfontes Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

I love it

• Options
    okiegirlokiegirl Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

First piece of currency I ever bought. Cost me $5 at a gun show. I was in college it was the early 90s. The good old days.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

Mine was a red seal five dollar bill.....for some reason I always keep it in my logbook.