Home Metal Detecting
Options

What brand pin pointers do folks like

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

What brand pin pointers do folks like

I don't want to spend a fortune. :) _

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Garrett carrot is solid. Buy from Kellyco. Lots of knockoffs out there, so beware. Orange color helps you see it in the brush, waterproof is a plus cause I am in streams, shorelines etc. Tether ring for when I get senile. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Thanks Roy, I'll check that one out.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

This one ? @Namvet69

What size battery does it take, Kellyco site does not specify.
    Thanks
    Boston

• Options

Yup that's it. 9 volt. I flip the battery over in between uses, lasts a long time. Do it, you'll find items quicker. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

So I flip the battery over between uses, lasts a long time. And have a back up battery in my bug out bag which goes with me on every dig. Kneepads, pump bug spray too. Peace Roy

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also have that same pin pointer. No complaints at all. Very happy with mine.

• Options

Thanks @Downtown1974

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Garrett makes a very good product, you will be happy with that one. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭

I also use the carrot. Overall a great piece. It sometimes gets a bit confused when in salt water, but all other times it's great. I used a Pistol Probe for many years, but have since moved on to the carrot.

• Options

Thanks @pcgs69

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭✭

I prefer the Garrett Pro-Pointer II to the Garrett carrot. The carrot has adjustable sensitivity, which I don't like. The adjustment feature makes the pinpointer take longer to shut off after each find. You have to hold the button in for a few seconds before it turns off. In contrast, the Pro-Pointer II shuts off immediately upon pushing the button. If you're not hunting in water, the carrot wastes time and that wasted time equates to fewer finds overall.

• Options

It arrived yesterday,
    What a difference it makes having a decent pinpointer..........someday I'll have to get a decent detector. :)
    Thanks @Namvet69 for your suggestion.

• Options

@1630Boston that's great, it's a miniature detector, poke that hole, jab those dirt clods, find treasure and have fun. Save up for an AT Pro or Max. Peace Roy

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Garrett carrot is solid. Buy from Kellyco. Lots of knockoffs out there, so beware. Orange color helps you see it in the brush, waterproof is a plus cause I am in streams, shorelines etc. Tether ring for when I get senile. Peace Roy

Yeah, be careful where you buy it. I bought a Garrett carrot of ebay for the cheap (like $50) and it was a knock off and just ended up tossing in trash. So, spend the $150 and get the real deal. Kellco is great.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Agree @AUandAG
    More and more, cheaper items are knockoffs but advertised as OEM parts, even on Amazon.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have purchased from Kellyco in the past and have always been happy with product and service. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are you going to use it for?

• Options

@Jimnight said:
    What are you going to use it for?

Pinpointing coins while metal detecting :)

• Options

I use a Minelab 35... its solid waterproof, never had one issue with it. Buy a good name brand and I think you will not have any issues!?!?