Home Sports Talk
Options

D1 Ivy League cancels all fall sports.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

And so it begins. Which D1 schools will follow and how soon will it take for the exodus to begin??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    Parkerplenty123Parkerplenty123 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

https://ivyleague.com/news/2020/7/8/general-ivy-league-outlines-intercollegiate-athletics-plans-no-competition-in-fall-semester.aspx

This is horrible news. I was hoping that the country could have had this under control somewhat before the start of the fall season. Safety comes first though. If a decision is made to cancel, it may start off by conferences. Unfortunate for the students that might have their eligibility impacted by this.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sobering news

Stanford was already facing some difficult financial choices as it tried to support one of the nation's largest athletics departments.

The coronavirus pandemic forced a dramatic and painful decision: Faced with a nearly $25 million deficit next year, Stanford became the first known Power Five school to eliminate athletic programs because of the pandemic, announcing Wednesday that 11 of its 36 varsity sports will be shuttered next year.

The school will discontinue men's and women's fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men's rowing, co-ed and women's sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men's volleyball and wrestling after the 2020-21 academic year. Stanford also is eliminating 20 support staff positions.

''As you can imagine this has been a heartbreaking day for all of us, especially with those student-athletes and coaches involved,'' athletic director Bernard Muir said. ''We came to this decision only after exhausting all other viable alternatives. It recently became painfully clear we would not remain financially stable and support 36 varsity sports at a nationally competitive level, which is what we desire.''

The pandemic shut down sports in March, including the massive revenue-generating NCAA basketball tournaments. With no March Madness, the NCAA was short $375 million scheduled to be distributed to its member schools, which are already facing questions about enrollment levels and tuition shortfalls.

Fall sports like football are still in question for some schools; the Ivy League, hours after Stanford's announcement, called off all fall sports. But some tough choices have already been made.

At least 171 sports programs from four-year schools have been cut since the pandemic began in the United States, according to research by The Associated Press. Of those disbanded teams, 51 are from 18 Division I schools. One conference in Division II and one in Division III suspended fall sports competitions and at least 18 small colleges across Division III and the NAIA won't compete this fall.

Stanford's decision to drop sports is likely the first of many by Power Five schools across the country.

''If it can happen at Stanford, it can happen any place,'' Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby said. ''They're the broadest, most successful program in the history of college athletics and so to see them drop a third of their program is a shocking thing.''

Stanford originally projected a deficit of $12 million for the 2021 fiscal year, a number that more than doubled as it faced fewer donations, sponsorships and ticket sales. Muir said the $25 million deficit for 2021 would likely double if the football season is canceled.

The school projected a shortfall of nearly $70 million over the next three years due to the pandemic and estimated it would cost more than $200 million to sustain the 11 sports that will be cut.

''We've been punching above our weight for quite some time,'' Muir said. ''It just became more acute .and became such a large issue we had to take this measure.''

Stanford has one of the nation's largest athletics departments, offering double the national average of 18 varsity sports.

Earlier this year, football coach David Shaw, basketball coach Jerod Haase and members of the athletics executive team took voluntary pay cuts to help defray some of the financial hit caused by the pandemic. Stanford also saved close to $5 million with expense-cutting measures and asked some of its programs to limit long-distance travel in an attempt to shore up the budget shortfall.

''We had a structural deficit coming in, so I don't want to pin this all on COVID. That's not the case,'' Muir said. ''When we realized coming off COVID, we knew we were going to take a financial hit. To blame this all on COVID would not be accurate, but it certainly contributed to the growing deficit.''

The contracts of 24 coaches in the 11 sports will be honored, as will the scholarships for the more than 240 athletes affected. All support staff who have been let go will get severance pay.

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion it's now past the point where the cure is more harmful than the disease.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    And so it begins. Which D1 schools will follow and how soon will it take for the exodus to begin??

Al H.

10,000 new cases today. Just in Texas. Sports are going to have to wait. Sucks

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sports at every level will likely be sidelined for the balance of this year and into 2021.

The ripple effect of the absence of sports will be wide and deep. The economic losses at the micro to macro level will be massive.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m expecting zero sports to be played. I get more and more pissed off about this Covid thing every day 😡.

• Options
    edited July 11, 2020 3:46AM

o:)

• Options

I think the main counter argument is that destroying the economy and setting the country back to the dark ages is far worse than moving forward and dealing with the virus by using precautions. Sure lots of people are fine with locking the entire country down and stopping everything because they might be anti social or just don't do much of anything either way but sorry that’s not the best plan for a “New Normal” if your sick or compromised then stay home yourself, don’t force everyone else to. We all have a responsibility to ourselves and that’s the bottom line, so do what you need to do to protect yourself just don’t expect the world to stop

• Options

It amazes me that people insist on resuming their normal routine (gathering in large groups, being very close together and not wearing masks) thereby increasing the chances they will come down with Covid 19 and/or infect others with it, including their family members. Very self centered IMO.

It also amazes me that the authorities are very willing to take action (fines, arrests and criminal charges) against persons and businesses who do not comply with Covid 19 orders, while at the same time they choose to do nothing to stop the violence, assaults, killings and property destruction that is going on nationwide since George Floyd was killed.

2020 has been a terrible year for the human race and we are barely half way through it.

• Options

Well the spike in cases could be in fact from the massive amounts of complete scumbag losers that are out there doing their part in destroying this great country.

• Options
    edited July 9, 2020 7:20AM

One funny thing about current events is Colin Kap thinking he is going to get a shot at returning to the NFL , keep making a fool of yourself letting everyone know your ready! 😂😂😂

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2020 10:37AM

@Justacommeman said:
    Sobering news

Stanford was already facing some difficult financial choices as it tried to support one of the nation's largest athletics departments.

The coronavirus pandemic forced a dramatic and painful decision: Faced with a nearly $25 million deficit next year, Stanford became the first known Power Five school to eliminate athletic programs because of the pandemic, announcing Wednesday that 11 of its 36 varsity sports will be shuttered next year.

>

''We had a structural deficit coming in, so I don't want to pin this all on COVID. That's not the case,'' Muir said. ''When we realized coming off COVID, we knew we were going to take a financial hit. To blame this all on COVID would not be accurate, but it certainly contributed to the growing deficit.''

It's hard to feel bad for a school sitting on a $27 billion endowment that is so poorly run they had to withdraw $1.3 billion from it to cover 2019 expenses pre-COVID. At least the article did somewhat address it, buried at the bottom without getting into those pesky facts. Congrats on them for cutting maybe up to 1.9% of last years overall endowment dip! Even that's unlikely though, as they're still honoring athletic scholarships for the cancelled sports.

ETA:

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Herd immunity or BUST !! its all we got

seriously though half the idiots on both political sides would refuse a vaccine even if it was widely available

the population is too dumb to not spread it freely. If at the end of a month or two of lockdown your first thought is of going to a bar or a sporting event then there is a serious problem .

And ya the idiot rioters are responsible for the current spike , well them and air conditioning .

Everyone thought summer heat would end this , but every single state spiking is hotter than hades and the people there are cowering indoors with the virus spreading AC on full blast.

• Options

I never bought into the heat destroying the virus thing. I mean since nice it started even the year round hot climate states had it spreading.

• Options
    edited July 11, 2020 3:45AM

• Options

@keets said:
    moving forward and dealing with the virus by using precautions.

evidence since Memorial Day indicates that the main precautions, social distancing and wearing some type of mouth/nose covering, are things many people are unwilling to do. the entire reasoning behind the "shutdown" was to slow the spread of COVID-19 and PREPARE to open Society up slowly in a pre-determined, logical way.

that wasn't done and we are now paying the price.

The Riots have a LOT to do with it

• Options

@perkdog said:

@keets said:

evidence since Memorial Day indicates that the main precautions, social distancing and wearing some type of mouth/nose covering, are things many people are unwilling to do. the entire reasoning behind the "shutdown" was to slow the spread of COVID-19 and PREPARE to open Society up slowly in a pre-determined, logical way.

Quoting myself I will add that I am now firmly believing that there will be ZERO Football this Season

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jimmie Johnson tested positive and then a week later negative. I'd be hard pressed to think nascar money is using lousy tests but who knows.

For the footballs question way up there...I'd say if Notre Dame, or the state of California or NY, or any SEC schools says we're done for the year the rest of the NCAA will follow.

• Options

Well my view is this. It is a fact that when driving in your car, there is always the chance of death. That cannot be denied or debated. But of course we use caution, drive carefully, and keep that chance to as close to zero as possible, with the understanding that it cannot ever be absolute zero.

This corona virus isn't exactly the Bubonic plague here with folks constantly dropping dead in the streets. I think we all know by now the characteristics of this disease, and should proceed with caution same way as with do with automobiles.

So why not allow the players to decide if they should play the games or not? I think the vast majority of players in all sports, amateur or professional, would opt in.

Sadly, those in charge probably won't allow that.

• Options

Last night I watched one of the Resident Evil movies (starring Mila Jojovich as "Alice").

I suspect that if the T-Virus in the movie was unleashed on humanity in real life there would be many persons who would refuse to change their behavior (at least until they were attacked by the Zombies infected with the T-Virus; at which time their last thought before being devoured would be that the authorities failed to take the action needed to protect them).

• Options
    edited July 11, 2020 3:45AM

B)

• Options

Of course the riots have something to do with it Keets :D its preposterous to suggest otherwise

But the president , even though it sounds stupid , is right about increased testing leading to more cases. The idiots in media are deliberately not explaining the implications of that though.

They act like 20% positive test rates in Arizona mean this is a big deal now. For some reason they wont talk about how new york was over 50% positive at its worst outbreak. Which implies that 100's of thousands of cases went unrecorded due to lack of testing in March and April .

If New york is claiming they had 450,000 cases then maybe the real number is close to 2 million ? And the same for states that were hit hard early , Mass , New Jersey , Washington etc. Total infections were much higher than reported

If we are seeing 500 deaths a day on 50,000 cases then back in March when we had 2500 deaths a day perhaps our real infection rate was over 100,000 or 200,000 a day but the tests were not available to register it .

None of the data about this virus is reliable we might need to wait years .

What is obvious to me is that early on there were thousands more cases than were reported and that the hospitals were murdering patients they treated , probably due to bureaucratic ineptitude at every level . The nursing home slaughter in the northeast is mind boggling , people should be on death row over the bumbling of this. New York was returning infected patients to nursing homes full of vulnerable seniors , that is outright murder.

The hospitals are doing much better at treating patients and the virus is being kept out of long term care facilities much better now

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion has moved from Stanford shutting down fall sports to something more widespread and threatening to go political. I ask that it does not continue in that direction.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

If there are no fall sports that means no womens volleyball :(

Thats the real crime . Its the only college sport worth anyones time to begin with

• Options

What will we talk about if there is no Football 😩

• Options

@Keets I’m tired of you suggesting I’m racist because I don’t agree with your views. You love highlighting parts of my posts and commenting with nonsense. If you want to take it to PM please do.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

A neighbor down the street from us was aware of the virus since last December. She was following the emerging story from that point on. She had stockpiled masks since then and was not caught short. She had even posted signs on the front of her house about the virus. Way back then she was wearing a mask and was kind enough to give us some for free. How she got wind of it we don't know, but she was ready. The country as a whole probably should of been wearing them from the outset. To keep it sports related I do not follow college ball usually until the Bowl games so will be unaffected by these cancellations.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just read the story about the actor Nick Cordero, which was truly heartbreaking. For those who think this virus is not a serious issue for younger individuals in good health with no underlying conditions, I encourage you to read his story.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

i know the vast majority on here don't care about golf, but right now it is serving as a leading indicator of what's to come for sports such as baseball, basketball and football. obviously, golf is a non-contact sport played out in the open. logically speaking, one would think it that would be virtually impervious to the virus as long as players bubble up and implement every possible precautionary measure. well, since the tour resumed a few weeks ago there have been up to 10 guys who have tested positive. but what's most sobering is when you read what the daily lives of the positive testers was like prior to the revelation. you walk away thinking to yourself, ok i knew corona was easily transmissible, but this is straight up off the charts. i'm talking guys who literally go nowhere outside of the course grounds/bubble and are still managing to contract it.

that said, my personal opinion is that close-proximity sports such as the MLB, NBA and NFL are going to be absolute dumpster fires in coming months if they do proceed. especially the NFL when it has a head-on collision with corona AND flu season. guys are going to be testing positive left and right, thereby being forced to drift off into self-quarantine land and miss action.

even if plans come to fruition and respective seasons play out, i'm gearing up for an unwatchable product.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

even if plans come to fruition and respective seasons play out, i'm gearing up for an unwatchable product.

Lack of TV sports can only make us better people in the long run. Its a huge time suck

• Options

If the Eagles could win another Super Bowl, i wouldn't mind if the NFL player pool was reduced down to that of only pee-wee league players. LOL

• Options

I went golfing the other day shot 2 under . 18 holes by the way , so for you newbs thats a 16 B)

• Options
    edited July 11, 2020 9:36PM

still a misconception that young people are unsusceptible

a 30-year-old in San Antonio went to a "COVID party" and right before he died he told his nurse, "I think I made a mistake"

https://news.yahoo.com/think-made-mistake-man-dies-180934668.html

edit: i see Tim touched on this up above with Cordero

• Options
    Parkerplenty123Parkerplenty123 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

I read a comment of yours earlier, regarding caring for your fellow man and stuff. So true. Thinking about those comments just confirm something i already know. My entertainment is NOT more important than the life, health and safety of the players or fellow fans. If they have to shut sports down until we get a handle on this virus, so be it.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

a 30-year-old in San Antonio went to a "COVID party" and right before he died he told his nurse, "I think I made a mistake"

How stupid do you have to be to go to a Corona party tho?

Do we need people that dumb alive ?

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@perkdog said:

@keets said:

Quoting myself I will add that I am now firmly believing that there will be ZERO Football this Season

TB isn't meant to play in TB.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Iirc, Harvard was the first to shutdown classes. Within a few days everyone did it. The Ivy League cancelling Fall sports might be the same sign.

• Options

I just saw in the real estate section that caves are a hot commodity right now. I guess that means some people prefer to live in one?

Be careful though because they say that bat dung can carry various diseases. You may want to invest in a mud hut in the wilderness instead to stay as safe as possible from the corona virus.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@galaxy27 said:

The guy obviously had a compromised immune system. Whether he knew that or not is another matter.

If he knew it, then i would completely agree that was a very foolish risk to take.

By the way, heavy drug use, including alcohol, can badly interfere with the immune system, and make a person more susceptible to get gravely ill from the corona virus.

• Options

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@galaxy27 said:

The guy obviously had a compromised immune system. Whether he knew that or not is another matter.

If he knew it, then i would completely agree that was a very foolish risk to take.

By the way, heavy drug use, including alcohol, can badly interfere with the immune system, and make a person more susceptible to get gravely ill from the corona virus.

it also interferes with the common sense system which in many of us is already severely compromised :#

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

I went golfing the other day

i'm amazed that there is footage of your round

https://media.giphy.com/media/Z21xptXzVzHgs/giphy.gif

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@bronco2078 said:

I went golfing the other day

i'm amazed that there is footage of your round