Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

Julius Caesar gold

I’m a US coin guy and I admit I know very little about ancients, so I’m seeking some seasoned advice. How “rare” is a gold piece with JC’s face on it? How often do they come up in auction? What is the normal price realized range for VF, XF, Unc? Thanks for any real world info. Feel free to tell stories. I just think these are cool coins based on their history.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

Comments

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rainbowroosie try the world and ancients forum (this is the buy/sell section)

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/world-ancient-coins-forum

• It is very rare, two types are commonly used when putting together a set of the 12 Caesars which were struck during his lifetime, but not with his portrait. These were struck by the moneyers L. Plancus and A. Hirtius. Gold coins with his portrait that come up for sale were all struck after his death, one much later as a restitution issue. The type most commonly found at auction was struck by Octavian by a military mint travelling with him in Italy in 43 B.C. ( just after the death of Caesar ). They have a portrait of Caesar on the obverse and Octavian ( later named Augustus ) on the reverse. They appear in auctions about once every five years and are usually in low grade. I estimate there are less than 50 known!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2020 4:51AM

I was also primarily a U.S. collector who has moved on to British and imperial Roman. I am heavy into the history and not so committed to spending a fortune on the collection. Therefore gold is off the table for me. I would like to get an aureus someday.

So far Julius Caesar portrait coins go, the silver pieces are expensive enough, especially if you have to have one that was struck in his lifetime. While surfing the web and asking for quotes from dealers, I got prices in the $5 to $6 thousand range for coins that ranged from nice to not so nice.

I finally bought one that was struck the year after he died, in 43 BC.

Here is a brief history of this piece I wrote recently:

This usual two headed denarius was struck while Mark Antony and Octavian were doing battle with the Roman Senate. Antony had suffered a military defeat at the hands of a Senate led army. The Senate, which was under the influence of Cicero, opposed the pro-Caesarian faction. Caesar’s nephew, Octavian, got command of eight Senatorial legions when both consuls were killed in battle.

Although Antony had lost a battle, he had not lost the war. He retreated with his forces to Cisalpine Gaul where he waited while Octavian returned to Rome and dealt with Senatorial politics. Antony greatly strengthened his position when he formed another alliance with Marcus Aemlius Lepidus who was the governor of Transalpine Gaul and Spain. That alliance gave him 17 more legions.

This coin, like so many Roman coins, served a political purpose. It reminded the soldiers and the civilians that Antony was loyal to Julius Caesar and his memory. Seven months later, Antony, Octavian and Lepidus formed the Second Triumvirate to defeat Caesar’s assassins.

The coin was struck off-center, but it has good surfaces and cost about half the price I had been quoted previously. It came from a well-known dealer in ancient cions.

Here is the most common Julius Caesar coin that was struck during his lifetime, the elephant denarius. Caesar took the silver from the Temple of Saturn where it was stored, and had these coins struck to pay his soldiers. Examples of this coin are always available for sale with the price dependent upon the condition.

I have completed the 12 Caesars in silver with one copper piece, a Caligula AS. That's the cheap way out. Julius Caesar is not the only one of the expensive leaders. Caligula, Claudius, Otho, and Vitellius pose challenges.

I know I didn't answer your gold question, but I hope this helps and gets you interested in the history. It's better than a soap opera.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not mine. but wish it was!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins with Julius Caesar's image, either as a lifetime issue or posthumous issue, are pricey (usually $1500 and up). They are not "rare," but highly sought after. Below is an unusual example on its way to a new home.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces