Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1795 Cohen 2b Half Cent Rarity 5+ [35 estimated survivors]

Here is another in my series of 1795, Liberty Cap, Half Cent varieties and sub-varieties, on a poor man's budget, for your viewing pleasure.
It is a very low grade [but still enough details left to identify the Obverse # 2 and the Reverse A] and with only 35 in existence, I felt very lucky to find one in any grade.
It is a Cohen 2b [ thin planchet with a plain edge].
I bought this one from a dealer who had it listed as a 'poor' filler coin, but He

did not know it's variety, and cut me a super deal because of it's condition.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find.... actually, to me, a great find. I would not have any idea of variety, but just the date, being discernible, would be enough for me. You are doing well with these...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

I’m loving these, as a 1795 C4 was my first 18th century coin and one I still have and look at often. Hope you do a post (or photo) with the whole group together, all labeled by variety. Keep it up.

• Options
    coinloverjoncoinloverjon Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

I am going to post my recently bought 1795 C4 today,
    I need a decent C2a and a C5a to complete the 10 varieties and sub varieties that I am trying to gather together.
    And the displaying them as a group is actually a wonderful idea.
    Thanks ffcoins,
    Jon

• Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Rarity beats condition.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice rare coin. Always good to see the rare early coins.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

Update: According to Ed Fuhrman's new Half Cent Book this 1795 C-2b is actually a Rarity-6 with only 30 examples estimated.
    I had it listed as a Rarity-5+

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file