Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Here goes nothin. Never seen since 1976...

2»

Comments

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome to see these photos - 76 was my first year of baseball as a kid and would hit 7-11 after games and get a pack or two each weekend to rip. As an 8 year old and a Reds fan with Bench as my idol in 76 it did not get any better. Great memories here and sharp cards.

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat that is awesome man. My similar years were 83-89. I was born in 76 so that is how it got to be a passion for me. I'd go to our Lawson's and buy packs and stickers for those old sticker albums. I'd use my lunch money almost every day. 75 also has a special place in my heart. As my dad who was a forward thinker and bought two wax boxes of 75 topps and put them up on a shelf for me. He wouldn't let me open them until I was 13 and in his eyes more mature. Well, in one of the biggest blunders in sports card trading history (lol) I traded those two unopened boxes for a 1989 upper deck Ken Griffey JR, and 2 boxes of 1989 pro set football cards to a local card shop. 89 pro set is getting hot now, but I think I got the short end of that stick, haha !. If that guy was still in business I'd go Toilet paper his place, lol. Maybe that is another idea for a thread. Worst trades you ever made as a kid.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was born in 73 so 80 was my year that I first collected. My sweet spot was 85 though.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

@76collector said:
    @jackstraw the ted Simmons is not bad. Just not gradable.

@Maxwell22 - I will get them out and post pics. But they are terribly OC. Even as the best cards in the set they are still not worth sending to PSA. They are possibly the worst cards centering wise in the entire set.

Here is the Simmons.

Thanks for showing it! Honestly it may be the hardest HOFer to get mint and centered? I am fully aware of how tough the Brett is and I am not expecting it to come close to value but I have honestly never seen a nice one in all the years I have looked..

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

Wow that was a big gamble to take

• Options

@twokarats ,

It was for sure. No disagreement there. But my original thought was to rip stuff. I enjoy the excitement of “the chase”. And when I saw this listing as long as it was truly untouched (which I believe it was) then it wouldn’t be different than buying and opening a vendor box except I will have zero duplication. Do you think I could get an unopened 76 vending box for 2K ? My guess is no and I sure as hell couldnt get racks or wax for that price. So this was the compromise for someone wanting something “unopened”

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the 76 set. It is one of my favorites of that decade and the first set I collected as a kid. I could look at the pictures all day. Congrats on the purchase.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2020 7:09PM

@76collector said:
    Good luck on your sub @rexvos. I’m not sure how to rate myself in sub strength. I usually have a pretty good eye and I’m picky about what I sub, but I ALWAYS seem to mix in a total dud. Last few subs I’ve hit multiple gem mint 10’s a few 9’s but will mix in the nicest 5 you will ever see, lol. Here is my Carlton. I would definitely submit it, if it weren’t for the touched top right corner. Otherwise it’s a beauty.

Issue on that Carlton bottom left edge too.

Regardless, a VERY COOL THREAD to go through! Congrats on a bunch of prime time grade worthy cards!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    edited August 17, 2020 3:06AM

I know the Oliva card is a tough one! Nice price for a PSA 9!

Collector Focus

• Options

wow, that is a big price for a psa 9 ! haha, of course there isn't a 10, so I understand. Mine is actually centered and sharp enough to send and would probably be a 9, except it has a damn rough cut on the left border, so I suspect it would get an 8.

Collecting:
  • Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@76collector said:
    wow, that is a big price for a psa 9 ! haha, of course there isn't a 10, so I understand. Mine is actually centered and sharp enough to send and would probably be a 9, except it has a damn rough cut on the left border, so I suspect it would get an 8.

Rough cuts don’t affect the grade from what I’ve understood and seen, so you should be fine there!

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

76 - Thank you for the nice comments and I have been going back and trying to grab more of what I collected which was 74-77. Much cheaper than Mantle’s and has a lot of personal value to me. Been working on picking up unopened from 75 and 76 - having some luck but stuff is tough to find.

Regarding centered examples I believe Brett is a tough one as everyone knows, but I believe Larry Hisle is also one of the challenging ones. Here is a recent 70’s pickup - really like how it looks.

• Options

Awesome wax tray @KendallCat ! I've actually never owned one. It looks to be in great shape too.

Collecting:
  • Options

@KendallCat said:
    76 - Thank you for the nice comments and I have been going back and trying to grab more of what I collected which was 74-77. Much cheaper than Mantle’s and has a lot of personal value to me. Been working on picking up unopened from 75 and 76 - having some luck but stuff is tough to find.

Regarding centered examples I believe Brett is a tough one as everyone knows, but I believe Larry Hisle is also one of the challenging ones. Here is a recent 70’s pickup - really like how it looks.

That wax tray is awesome! Brings back a lot of memories! Regarding centered examples, there are quite a few cards that will keep you up late scratching your head. There is a Hisle on eBay right now or was that was decent but had some print marks that I didn't love...

Collector Focus