Home Metal Detecting
Options

THIS is why you detect under trees!: Metal Detecting UK

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this interesting :)
https://youtu.be/aA-DcA63ZFU

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston .... Thanks for the video....half through it...have to go out...will finish it later. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where is UK? And can I drive there from my house? Nice. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

how many scratch marks did he put on those coins rubbing them with his gloves.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pocketpiececommems said:
    how many scratch marks did he put on those coins rubbing them with his gloves.

I agree. He would have ruined a nice silver coin

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a lot of metal detector users are not numismatists

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@1630Boston is correct.... Most MD'rs that I have known are not numismatists, and many do not even collect coins (there is a difference), beyond what they find. So treatment of the coins is not a concern for them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

The treasure trove law in the U.K. does not seem to address coin care from the initial dig. Every coin is turned in to the authorities for possible purchase by museums. I know it can mean a payday but I'm glad it's not that way here. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a note on what I could see with the coins, the 1918 penny has a mintmark of KN to the left of the mint - was minted at King's Norton. The halfpenny sized coin appears to be an 18th century halfpenny with King George II(1728-1760) The King's Norton penny is actually a semi-key date for British pennies.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to open a numismatic museum in the UK. Then get coins on the cheap from the Queen. Don't have to
    sell often as value will take care of everything. Just reconfigure the museum displays every year or so selling off the old stuff and buying new.

bob ;)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG.... Sounds like a great plan Bob.... After a year, you can go public and make a fortune on stock and retire... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most people who do detecting are of their breed. :)