Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1940 D Mercury dime repunched mintmark

COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found this today going through the never ending pile on my desk....

I believe is rpm 1? Does that sound right?

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
HAPPY COLLECTING

Comments

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it certainly could be a RPM... but I don't have a reference on which one.

----- kj
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like #2 to me. ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like an RPM to me....Nice find... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are at least 7 RPMs for the date. I have not looked to see what CONECA is up to recently. It closely resembles RPM-1, RPM-2 and RPM-5.

Upon a careful look, it is definitely NOT RPM-2 @ifthevamzarockin

Do determine if it is RPM-1 ort RPM-5, without better photos....
    RPM-1 has an obverse short die gouge that protrudes from the bottom right of the L in LIBERTY. On the reverse there is a short vertical die gouge can be found above the N in ONE.

RPM-5: This can be cross referenced with WDDO-004 and WDDR-001.
    Obverse Stage A: WDDO-004 Obverse Stage B: A new obverse that is not a doubled die is now paired with the reverse. No siognificant die markers have been detected.
    Reverse Stage A: A die scratch runs SSE from the right side of the center bands. Reverse Stage B: The die scratch from the center bands has been abraded away. Light abrassion scratches mostly running from SSW to NNE can be seen throughout the right side.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

RPM1, RPM5 is closer to the leaf

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2020 12:32PM

@keyman64

I just did a quick glance at The Complete Guide to Mercury Dimes by David Lange and it looked like a match to the one shown by Bill Fivaz. They don't list markers for each and I didn't take time to look further. I don't doubt you one bit.

This is a good example why no one should ever listen to me. :D

Edited to add: After taking the time to look on variety vista where I should have checked in the first place 1 & 5 look good, not a 2. I like #1.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2020 3:16PM

I like #1.

i think it is #1 as well since #5 is too close to the leaf. either it is a later die state or took at hit at the top of the mm as the image looks good enough i think to show to bridge of the top of the D.

i'm pretty shocked none of those appear to have FS numbers. a couple great candidates imo.

@COINS MAKE CENTS

nice coin and find. i like merc varieties even if i rarely find them. :smile:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coin. Congrats.

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2020 6:51AM

Gotta go with #1

Looks like it has some machine doubling as well(above leaf, top of N and E)

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file