Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Dream Has Come True

RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭

Ever since I missed the chance to buy the coin at under $500, I thought I would never be able to acquire one for less than $1000, especially during the boom of 2006-2008 when the price reached as high as $3200. Just this past month, I jumped at the opportunity to acquire the coin for $719. Yes, $719 for a no longer rarest $5 modern commemorative US gold coin but I am thrilled having finally hold it in my hand (PCGS-MS69 Jackie Robinson $5) :)

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2020 9:22AM

Congrats! I'm a big fan of that coin!

Love the older holder and hologram too!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations. It is a nice feeling to achieve a long-term goal.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still consider it the top coin in the series - at least it has some history and was widely distributed and has some cross support from baseball fans. I like it even though it does not exactly show JR at his athletic peak - and he was a fabulous athlete.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2020 10:49AM

Love the solid gasket holders! Looks like it has a little peripheral tone as well!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    I still consider it the top coin in the series - at least it has some history and was widely distributed and has some cross support from baseball fans. I like it even though it does not exactly show JR at his athletic peak - and he was a fabulous athlete.

You have to buy the silver dollar for that. :)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice indeed!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice and a good price.... I watched these for a while years ago, trying to get one for a friend of mine....scarcity and high prices kept them out of reach....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks guys :smile:

Browsing through Amazon today, I found the 2 books set "Silver Dollars and Trade Dollars of the United States: A Complete Encyclopedia" authored by Dave Bowers selling/asking for $1579 (wow).
    I still have my hardbound set and few other coin books in mint (MS69 :smiley: )) condition I bought years ago through the mail and at coin shows. Yahoooooooooooooooooooo

• Options

Saddle Ridge Hoard $20 gold coins (images found on internet)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats that explains the smile

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2020 1:54PM

Nice coin, excellent price! I find some of these modern gold commems to be very appealing: Robinson, FDR, Washington, etc. I wonder why the proof version is less expensive than the MS version? Ah... proof mintage is 5x that of MS version.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! Reaching a numismatic goal is always something to celebrate. :)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great baseball player who suffered a lot of abuse and died too young. Also a very popular and attractive coin.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! Sometimes the wait makes it even more special.

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

That Saddle Ridge hoard is cool. Never heard of it. have to investigate

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

Feebay only has two for sale. Where can i find these for sale?

• Options

@stockdude_ said:
    Feebay only has two for sale. Where can i find these for sale?

I think you might have to wait a long time. Since our Federal Reserve is printing money like paper, tangible assets will appreciate even more. Saddle Ridge Hoard coins were first offered in Amazon in 2014 (if I am not mistaken) and most MS66, MS65, MS63, MS62 double eagles were sold out within a week or so. At that time, the average selling price on an MS62 was a little lower than $4000.

• Options

Sorry I should say a tag higher than $4000 (not lower)

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a little cheaper hardback version on Amazon.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was a great one. Nice coin. Happy 4th.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Rarity!

While readily available around $900-$1,000/coin, the “trick” is to try to buy these nice 69 quality specimens in the $700-$800 range as Rarity just did. While it is now the 4th lowest mintage in the $5 gold series, it is still a very desirable coin and highly ranked in most “Top 100 Modern Coins” lists.

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Waiting paid off in this case, nice job. :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your persistence has been rewarded @Rarity. Congratulations. What is your next target?

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are now several $5 gold commems with mintages under 5k but Jackie still feels like the key to me. Congrats on the pickup!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rarity said:
    Thanks guys :smile:

Browsing through Amazon today, I found the 2 books set "Silver Dollars and Trade Dollars of the United States: A Complete Encyclopedia" authored by Dave Bowers selling/asking for $1579 (wow).
    I still have my hardbound set and few other coin books in mint (MS69 :smiley: )) condition I bought years ago through the mail and at coin shows. Yahoooooooooooooooooooo

My Robinson Silver Dollar is packed away, but that was one of the few modern commems that I bought from the mint when it was issued. Unfortunately, I didn't buy the Gold.

Here is my Bowers set on the bookshelf.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the coin and the deal! I recently had similar fortune and I'm still basking in it. Probably won't be going after Jackie's gold (not because it isn't cool), but might have to look into the silver piece.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pick up!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file