Home Metal Detecting

Hot digging but in the shade of big trees

Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back to oyster cove, moved more big downed limbs, saw a beautiful box turtle and pulled a few more goodies from 6-8". 1881, 1887 IHC 1910 wheatie, gold plated earring, a fired lead pistol ball. Be safe and the hunt continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds.... IHC's are great.... always liked them since I was just a kid....Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice scores

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a gold rush story that a huge tree came down in a rain storm. The roots pulled up a massive amount of earth and gold nuggets. Reminder, use my White's Gold master at fallen trees. :)
    Nice finds!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

@metalmeister no gold nuggets where I dig but lots of IHCs and early wheaties. Have a good holiday weekend. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

I have not heard that story, but certainly feasible... particularly if the tree was near a stream, or where one once ran....Cheers, RickO

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not bad ... Not bad at all!!

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Namvet69
    Here’s hoping the next one you dig is silver

@johnny9434 @""No Headlights" @Jimnight @metalmeister @ricko Happy Sunday detecting friends.
    Back to oyster cove where I dug a small military button bearing a CW style #5. 11.8 mm, no markings on rev other than a raised dot. Sharp nail like post for leather or wood? Anyone with a button reference, an ID would be nice. Peace Roy

Nice find Roy... Unfortunately I do not know anything about buttons.... hope we have an expert here to help you. Good luck on your next hunt. Cheers, RickO

• Hi Roy,
    It's amazing the number of IHC's you find. Very nice finds. Hope you keep on finding them. Ken

@metaldetectinghound3 this particular locale I call oyster cove was some kind of rest area for sure. Lots of old fresh water oyster shells. The 2 splitting wedges forged from railroad spikes was an interesting find here last year. Have a good day. Peace Roy

Is the 'cove' you are searching near the ocean? Or just what seems like a popular picnic spot? Summer parties with oysters also usually meant copious amounts of beer...which could explain - in part - the dropping of coins in such a prolific manner. Cheers, RickO

I'm easy of the Delaware river, uphill from an old railroad right of way, approx 30 miles n/o Trenton NJ. I'll try to take a pic today. Peace Roy

So must have been a summer picnic/party spot.....Cheers, RickO

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

We moved from our old house back in 2009 - I used to detect all around the yard. Most of the coins were found in a perimeter around an old elm tree in the backyard. The earliest I found was a 1917 cent.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

On older homes, the location of the clothes line was usually good for some finds, as well as the family picnic table area. Strangely enough, old gardens often turn up coins as well. Cheers, RickO