Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question re: Pedigree Holder

chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 1, 2020 3:26PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have a better date circulated Seated Dime from the October 1987 Norweb sale. This coin is presently in a newer PCGS edge view holder (with CAC sticker) but doesn't have the Norweb pedigree on the label. I have the original Bowers and Morena insert for the coin with the lot number that I can trace back to the auction and the auction description fits my coin. Based on subsequent owner history, I have no doubt it is that Norweb coin.

My question: 1) what are the chances that PCGS will give me a pedigree holder if I send the coin into them?and (this is more geared for this forum crowd) 2) is it even worth doing so? Does having the pedigree on the coin holder enhance the value of it for future resale? Keep in mind I'll keep the auction card and coin together no matter what.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Provide whatever documentation you have and if available, a picture from the Norweb sale. Hopefully, the coin hasn’t been dipped and still matches. And make conspicuous note of your request on the submission invoice, including in the “Variety” column.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2020 3:53AM

Was the coin illustrated in the catalog?

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options

@philographer said:
    Was the coin illustrated in the catalog?

No, it was just a description.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think PCGS will err on the side of caution unless it is undeniable that the coin is the Norweb coin.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless there is some form of visual comparison evidence, or other source documentation, I believe that it would be hard to provide justification.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does the Bowers and Merena lot number correspond to an auction? If so I would venture to guess that the auction attribution will go a long way.

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    Does the Bowers and Merena lot number correspond to an auction? If so I would venture to guess that the auction attribution will go a long way.

Correct, the lot number is on the auction insert that came from the auction. I found the catalog in the Newman portal and it corresponds to the written description of my coin. The only thing I have is that and the word (which I trust) of the numismatist who owned it before me.

• Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    Unless there is some form of visual comparison evidence, or other source documentation, I believe that it would be hard to provide justification.

Yes, this has been my experience. I have an Eliasberg colonial with auction tag that did not get the pedigree when I sent it in. There was no picture in the catalog.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might consider contacting Stack's to see if you can get QDB involved. that Cat is one of the Elder Statesmen of Numismatics and I doubt that he forgets ANYTHING!! a coin as significant as this from a sale as important as Norweb might be something he could help you with.

• Options

Thanks. So it sounds like it's worth the cost and effort of having the pedigree on the holder but it sounds like I might need to do a little more homework to verify the coin with the auction.

• Options
    HashTagHashTag Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

Personally I don’t care who owned the coin before me or who owns it after me. I’m just a temporary Stewart. In fact I’m having an Eric P Newman crossed as we text and I said nothing. Pedigrees are cool but only on EXTREMELY rare coins (5 or less).

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2020 5:43PM

@AngryTurtle said:

@oih82w8 said:

Yes, this has been my experience. I have an Eliasberg colonial with auction tag that did not get the pedigree when I sent it in. There was no picture in the catalog.

And yet, if I remember correctly, there were 1883 No Cents nickels from a roll or rolls in the sale (which were attributed)

@HashTag said:
    Personally I don’t care who owned the coin before me or who owns it after me. I’m just a temporary Stewart. In fact I’m having an Eric P Newman crossed as we text and I said nothing. Pedigrees are cool but only on EXTREMELY rare coins (5 or less).

Not for a coin of which there are 6? Or 7?😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@HashTag said:

Thanks Stewart but I think that's a mistake. You may not care but future collectors may and it could add a little value to your coin (and help answer how it toned the way it did.)

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

All stewards are not named Stuart! :D;)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    HashTagHashTag Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@HashTag said:
    Personally I don’t care who owned the coin before me or who owns it after me. I’m just a temporary Stewart. In fact I’m having an Eric P Newman crossed as we text and I said nothing. Pedigrees are cool but only on EXTREMELY rare coins (

Not for a coin of which there are 6? Or 7?😉

I guess I should’ve said if the coin has a famous pedigree like when Heritage list all previous well known owners it may be important. But when the average nobody collector like me and 99% of the members here do it or worse put their own name it’s just arrogance.
    This is supposed to be a hobby like on the cover of “The Numismatist” - “for collectors...” . I don’t put my name on my golf balls, fishing tackle or even my boat. The collecting of coins isn’t any different. When we pass no one will know who we are or were; much less care.> @Catbert said:

All stewards are not named Stuart! :D;)

Another advantage of being a no body is the ability to make mistakes without people noticing or pointing it out just in an attempt to make themselves a “somebody”. Which is a dangerous double edged sword.

This “hobby” has become more about profit and wanna be dealers. Why not just post our bank statements, retirement accounts or just make it a urinating contest.
    It’s supposed to about fun, try it you might like it.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

My apologies @HashTag

The wink emoji was intended to convey teasing not ridicule. Again, I’m sorry to have offended you.

I suffer no delusions that I’m of “somebody” status in this hobby.

Peace.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think pedigree holders are cool just from a standpoint of telling the story. Tons of posts I've seen on here talk about "I wonder where this coin has been!" and "Oh, the history this coin might have been a part of!"...Pedigree holders take some of the mystery out of that, or add to it.
    Any coin could have been anywhere, but one from the Norweb sale was in the same room with QDB and who knows who else. It might be able to tell stories we'd really care about.
    Some care, some don't (I haven't paid a premium for a pedigree, yet), but I don't see the harm in them at all (until they get crazy and I can get a Shaunbc5 pedigree holder made :smile: )

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file