Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Curious Reed on a Washington Quarter?

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 1, 2020 11:47AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Now I know this coin is in bad shape. The 1968s. My question and curiosity is in the Reed? I bought this thinking by the appearance I first noticed to have no copper. Thinking it was silver of course. Didn't take my loupe to it at the time. So That's why I bought it. Among other reasons. One of the other reasons is the mint mark. Is the "s" considered to be the type 2? Check out the funky appearance on the reed with the lack of copper. When I did notice this at home with my scope I was surprised by the look! Anyone ever see this on quarters? Oh, by the way, my friendly shop owner gave me the coin free! What a gal. Thanks guy's! Warning: Many Pics! Oh! By the way, I did weigh it. It did weigh the 5.7 that clad weighs.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can see the copper in pics 7, 10, and 11. During the blanking process, the clad layer can get smeared over the copper. Have you ever noticed clad coins where the cladding appears to be thicker on one side and the copper core isn't centered? This is why. You confirmed it is the correct weight for a clad quarter, so it's just a normal proof. Yours appears to be a more extreme example of the metal smearing, but it's not an error.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

You may have the rare funky reed quarter.
    I'd get it slabbed.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your pics are great👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics of the reading. Good job

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pictures are very good ... that's ... Nice!

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    You may have the rare funky reed quarter.
    I'd get it slabbed.

The Funky Cold Reededa.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pipe organ variety !!! ;)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent pictures, particularly of the reeds....@Oldhoopster nailed it right away....I have seen this on clad quarters several times since I always check the edges. (Never know when a silver planchet might get tossed into the process) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joeykoins, you're the king of odd-ball discoveries. Keep up the good work!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file