Home U.S. Coin Forum

Three 1919 s pennies

Hello All, back again with three 1919 s pennies. I have done some research and come up with conflicting information on worth and rarity. Are any of these worth the effort to sell. All responses are welcome and appreciated.

Comments

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rare? Nope...there were 139,760,000 minted. These are well worn and the one on the left is damaged so less value there. A quick eBay search is maybe a buck or so for all 3 and you pay shipping.

K

ANA LM
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

In that condition, those coins are common and worth less than $1. You can find quite a few for sale on EBay.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

One is damaged so thats not worth much. The top coin is decent

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but none appear to be special in those grades. The one on the left is damaged. Something like these should be readily available for around a buck +/- at a local coin shop

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stockdude_ said:

Is it possible it's a strike-through?

@abcde12345 said:

@stockdude_ said:

A STRIKE of an instrument of damage, THROUGH part of the surface of the coin.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

"It's not always blueberries and paper airplanes. You know what I mean?"
    Chad- Bachelorette.

What is a “strike through” error? Simply put, it is anything which is struck into the coin, but which was not “retained” in the strike. If the item was retained, it would be termed “struck through and retained (fill in the blank).” Coins have been found struck through buttons, wire, grease, plastic, tape, cloth, washers, sanding paper, other planchets, struck coins, foreign coins, fragments of other coins, springs, and numerous other things. It is a fascinating category of error coin collecting with lots of amazing coins within it. Where do all these things come from so that they can be struck into the coins? Well, the mint’s are factories, with lots of equipment made up of thousands of parts, machines dripping grease, bolts, screws, and random debris, and so there are lots of things which could break off, come loose, or accidentally be fed into a press striking coins. > @MFeld said:

@abcde12345 said:

@stockdude_ said:

@abcde12345 said:
    What is a “strike through” error? Simply put, it is anything which is struck into the coin, but which was not “retained” in the strike. If the item was retained, it would be termed “struck through and retained (fill in the blank).” Coins have been found struck through buttons, wire, grease, plastic, tape, cloth, washers, sanding paper, other planchets, struck coins, foreign coins, fragments of other coins, springs, and numerous other things. It is a fascinating category of error coin collecting with lots of amazing coins within it. Where do all these things come from so that they can be struck into the coins? Well, the mint’s are factories, with lots of equipment made up of thousands of parts, machines dripping grease, bolts, screws, and random debris, and so there are lots of things which could break off, come loose, or accidentally be fed into a press striking coins. > @MFeld said:

@abcde12345 said:

@stockdude_ said:

A “strike-through” is considered to be a mint error, which occurs at the time of production. The coin in question suffered damage after it was produced.

This forum is all about education. Please, how are you aware it is post-mint damage?

@abcde12345 said:
    This forum is all about education. Please, how are you aware it is post-mint damage?

In the spirit of education, please provide the forum with possible mint-made causes of the damage?

Here are a couple of examples:

The 1919-S above looks like a strike-through that has since heavily circulated.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

1919-S is one of the most common early mintmarked Lincoln cents. The coins you show are, unfortunately, of minimal value due to heavy wear and damage.

All glory is fleeting.

@abcde12345 said:
    Here are a couple of examples:

The 1919-S above looks like a strike-through that has since heavily circulated.

If the coin in question is exhibiting evidence of a strike-through....seeing as (even after heavy circulation) how large and deep the depression is, think about what that area would have looked like at the time the coin was struck.

• Thank you so much. It’s a good thing I didn’t get my hopes up this time. Still trying. I keep hope alive.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mgary1117 .... Nothing wrong with asking questions here... and your pictures are great and allowed others to evaluate your coins and provide answers. Good luck in future searches... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file