Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's going on with this broadstruck cent??

COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed this today going through inventory that this broadstrike cent has what looks like missing metal in each letter on the obverse? Making some of the letters look like they have "a fancy" look to them?

Is this caused by the metal pulling when the broadstrike is created? Just never been this before....

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
HAPPY COLLECTING

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not know but await the experts to enlighten me. :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

I'll be honest I kind of like how it makes the letters look fancy

HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options

Nice post @COINS MAKE CENTS and that's a nice web site that you and your wife have, very easy to navigate. :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be cool to own

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Metal flow going in the path of least resistance
    since the planchet was on top of the collar,
    not in it.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

@johnny9434 said:
    That would be cool to own

Make him an offer :)

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    Nice post @COINS MAKE CENTS and that's a nice web site that you and your wife have, very easy to navigate. :)

Thank you very much! With not having shows to do the last 3 months and none probably for the foreseeable future, we have been tweaking it to make it easier and nicer.

HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2020 12:30PM

@COINS MAKE CENTS

i know you're asking about the metal in the letters but:

1. your coin is o/c not broadstruck.
    2. a small chance it is a tilted collar but unlikely
    3. the lettering "missing" metal is probably a Font as there are other early usa coinage that has that style of lettering.

i'm not saying this error didn't affect the lettering but only behind other characteristics.

edited to add:

i do think there are o/c broadstrikes and those have ties to die caps but i'm not up for chasing the rabbit but look forward to others contributions on this one. :smile:

neat coin btw

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Thanks everyone for the help.... I didnt know what was going on with these letters

HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    @COINS MAKE CENTS

i know you're asking about the metal in the letters but:

1. your coin is o/c not broadstruck.
    2. a small chance it is a tilted collar but unlikely
    3. the lettering "missing" metal is probably a Font as there are other early usa coinage that has that style of lettering.

It is borderline off center, though many would still consider it an uncentered broadstrike. There appears to be some portion of the denticles that is not present, but the wear and metal flow make it more difficult to discern between the two.

Please point out a similar font on another “normal”, well struck, Indian head cent of this year. The distorted lettering is certainly due to the metal flow during strike. I would also wager that many early American coins had this effect due to not-so-optimal striking.

• Options
    TestoonTestoon Posts: 152 ✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    Metal flow going in the path of least resistance
    since the planchet was on top of the collar,
    not in it.

You can see the same thing on older coins struck with an open collar. Here is a picture from CoinFacts of an early large cent. You can see the same effect on the bottoms of the letters of LIBERTY. The metal moves radially outward.

Bill
    witty quote goes here
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2020 7:30AM

@GoldenEgg said:
    many would still consider it an uncentered broadstrike. There appears to be some portion of the denticles >that is not present, but the wear and metal flow make it more difficult to discern between the two.

i agree. after looking up some o/c and o/c broad, the letters were only like this on the broadstrikes.

the comment about open collar explains the similarity. i'll be looking at more coinage in the 1900-1940 range that are broadstrike and o/c broad to see if the lettering anomaly is present.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting anomaly.... It seems to me (memory is a bit hazy) I have seen that effect on coins posted here before... though it was not the reason for the posting...Most likely on other broad struck coins.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bolander noted this abnormality in his book on early dollars calling it “bifurication” (hope I spelled it correctly from memory).

As former posters have said it happens on open collar struck coins as the metal flows to the edges (area of least resistance) creating the “stretch” at the bottoms of the letters.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options

source links

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1793-1c-liberty-cap-bn/1359
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1795-1-2-leaves/6853

use more images. link below main image.

pretty sure i saw some capped bust 50c previously as well but didn't look up the images.

fairly large scope of variance in when and how it happened. even different "stages/degrees" that it happened.

i wonder even within a die marriage there are variances of this which would say something but what i don't know what yet.

• Options

i stumbled upon a counterfeit barber quarter (i think it was a quarter. didn't have the whole image posted) that showed this effect also. just an fyi.

• Options

1792!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am thinking off center too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file