Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you think this is a cud or extra corner on the Monticello, found 8 of them in a 2020 d bank roll

Comments

• Ok thank you I’m new here do die chips fall under varieties or errors?

• JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@48thstatecrh said:
    Ok thank you I’m new here do die chips fall under varieties or errors?

They're considered "die states," which would fall under the variety umbrella. As the die struck more and more coins, little bits began to chip off of the die. More than likely there are coins struck from the same die that don't have those die chips and would be from an earlier die state.

An error is a one-off coin that isn't as intended, such as an off-center coin. A variety is something that is in the die itself and replicated from one coin to the next.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• Thank you for the clarification mr craft and for taking the time to do it

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still nice :)

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now, you just need to give it a catchy name, publicize it, generate interest, and profit from it. ;)

(I'm being snarky....but in all honesty, it can, and does happen! It's of minor interest until a LOT of people suddenly become interested. ;) )

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@48thstatecrh said:
    Ok thank you I’m new here do die chips fall under varieties or errors?

Actually they are errors, more specifically "die errors". Not varieties.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

In your 1st photo, I see a nun jumping from the roof. No, I’m not Catholic. 😇

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got the chips, pass the dip! Good eye. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

A minor die chip. If you can get anyone to pay a premium for it take the money and run!

All glory is fleeting.
  • The name I chose was sniper on the roof looks like a gun barrel sticking out unless under magnification @ bolivarshagnasty good thing it’s less than 1/4 inch to the ground...@jimnight thanks I agree @ mewallace thanks @tommytype I wouldn’t have a clue how to publish it @namvet69 it’s on the way....and thx

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Montichunko...

Short... To the point.. And east to remember

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file