Home U.S. Coin Forum

Somewhat off topic:Working From Home

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those of you that are what's it been like? Love it,hate it? Like to have it be made into a permanent situation? And to keep it somewhat coin related: Has it changed your collecting time regimen not being able to "leave your work at the office" when the office is at home?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Officially, I am retired, but still work - either consulting or training. I enjoy the work atmosphere and accomplishing goals... I also enjoy the freedom of retirement....I consider (for me) this to be the best of both worlds - work when I want, relax when I want. This is permanent for me....well, until it is not :D;) Cheers, RickO

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been working from home since March of last year. There are good parts to it and bad parts. On the whole, I’d rather be in an office with my great coworkers.

Some lessons I’ve learned: it’s your responsibility to guard/protect your free time. There will always be a temptation to do more work than you should. Also some people will simply expect it. Only you can be the gatekeeper.

If possible separate your work zone from your life zone. Don’t even look at the work zone when you’re done.

Turn off notifications as much as you can when you’re done working. That is a huge part of what drives people batty.

It has given me a bit more time for coin related activities. If I hit a break I’ll take coin world to the couch and read it. If I’m curious about a variety on a coin I’ll fire up the stuff and look it up.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been working from home for years, with my office time at maybe a day or 2/week for the past few years. Our office is essentially closed until 2021 unless something changes, that's what we've been told anyway. Some of our (KO) Asian offices went back to work, in limited attendance/staggered days, after 6 months.

As the turtle said regarding free time, some folks are working longer due to the 'not leaving the house' situation...but less work is actually getting done. More online teams/zoom meetings fill everyones calendars now.

Once I log off from work that's it, no checking emails, no doing just this one last thing, nada. Things can wait until the next day. I refuse a free work phone, have for the past 13 years, for the very reason of not giving them 24/7 access to me - the phones have work email and teams on them so there's no escape from new email/message alerts...and some folks flat out can't ignore them by nature.

During the 'lockdown' I left the house every single day. Had to not have work and home totally blend together, needed a break.

The wife had her own issues to deal with. Elementary school teachers had a difficult time going from the classroom to online learning immediately. They never had done that before at the elementary level here, so it was a hard transition. And they were working 13+ hours a day to ramp up and get things set up for the next day classes and whatnots. Lots of stress there for all of them.

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2020 6:40AM

I had never worked from home in 25 years. My job you simply were not allowed to. Then covid and Uncle Sam changed the rules. I have been buying more coins. Without the commute I get up and am on the computer by 7am. Get off around 3-4 and am tethered by an issued cell phone the rest of the time.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it because I'm saving a huge amount of time by not commuting. I've been clamoring for years to get a day or two at home a week, so after so much time of not being able to (or being able to do so, but less regularly), it's nice to not have to drive anywhere. Also, since my office has an open plan, I have earbuds in all day to listen to music. At home, I can just play it, which is a nice little perk. That said, there are a few things I don't like:

1- I really like my coworkers, especially a few with whom I'm particularly close. I miss not having that social interaction every day (I live alone, so I can go days without an in-person interaction with someone else). A week and a half ago, I was out an about and swung by a colleague's house (still well out of the way, but not as far as if I had started at home) just to say hi and have a chat on the driveway.

2- My PO Box is by my day job office, so it's annoyingly far right now. I have it forwarding mail, but that just means everything is delayed for the time being.

I'd much prefer a happy-medium. I like working at home, but I'd like to go back to at least being in the office some days. I don't think much has changed for me on the coin front. My eBay work is unaffected other than some international shipments are suspended (I send a lot of mail to South America normally). One way I force myself to get outside is that I always walk to drop off mail, rather than drive, and try to only give mail directly to a mail carrier if it's too big to be dropped off after hours.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mostly like it, but there are some drawbacks, some fixable. I save about 80 minutes a day in commuting, but use up most of that getting out of bed later. My home office has poor airflow, and gets uncomfortably warm. I had planned on having it remodeled and adding a desperately needed return vent, but now I have to work in here and the rest of the house is so full of clutter right now that there's nowhere I can move anything to. I do miss the social aspect of going into the office, going out to lunch, and right now the comfortable climate. We also have a boot camp exercise class after work twice a week that has been moved online, which is better in person. As for turning off the "work switch," I find myself leaving it turned on a little longer than normal, since I don't have to drive home, but when it's off, it's off, unless I have a late meeting with Japan. I trained myself to do that years ago.

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was hard to get used to, but I love it now. If they would give me a clue about how much longer I'd be doing it, I'd buy a better chair or go back to the office and steal mine. We got sent home on a couple hours notice and haven't been back. I need to finish setting up my space correctly (even if I won't be able to move the washer/dryer).
    Working from home hasn't changed my coin situation as much as the rest of lockdown. Before COVID we had something to do every evening and weekend. Coaching 2 basketball teams, church stuff, dance, cheer, etc. Once all that got cancelled I had a lot more time to spend on coins without feeling like I was neglecting my wife/kids.
    As far a balance goes, my job requires me to take care of things, most of which happen during normal business hours, but not always. In the beginning of WFH, everyone's regular schedule was messed up and I had some late nights of work. Now, if things are quiet 30min before I'm supposed to get off work, I just leave the computer and check back a little later. If something comes up late, at least I don't have the commute to add to the additional time. My team and I have been able to stay pretty productive. My company is rethinking what our office situation should look like, and that could mean WFH for a long time, which is OK with me.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2020 10:54AM

I Haven't missed one day of work......getting tired of neighbors telling me how lucky I am to go to work 6 days a week, 12 hours per day while they are sitting at home, building patios, fire pits, yard work etc.....gets annoying after a while.
    just my thoughts
    Boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being that I am in sales working from home is not an option. But as of last week I have a new, much better paying, job which goes back to what I can spend the mucho dinero on - coins!

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

@SaorAlba said:
    Being that I am in sales working from home is not an option. But as of last week I have a new, much better paying, job which goes back to what I can spend the mucho dinero on - coins!

Will the new job affect your frequency checking the coin machines?

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

@1630Boston said:

@SaorAlba said:

It actually doesn't affect the frequency but changes the area and I have a company vehicle instead of my own.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

@SaorAlba said:

@1630Boston said:

@SaorAlba said:

It actually doesn't affect the frequency but changes the area and I have a company vehicle instead of my own.

Congrats on the new job :)

@1630Boston One thing on my have to acquire before I croak is a Pine Tree shilling!

@SaorAlba said:
    @1630Boston One thing on my have to acquire before I croak is a Pine Tree shilling!

I'm down to about 49 graded coins but these are 4 that will be buried with me [or pawned by my heirs] :o

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Work? What is that? Today marks 11 years since I worked ( retired ).

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2020 7:33PM

1630Boston, what are you doing with my Pine Tree collection? :)

<<< In My Dreams >>>

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2020 7:02AM

I've been working from home since March and I love it.

-I am saving tons of money - no parking fees, no commuter rail fees, no Starbucks or city lunch costs, no dry cleaning, etc.
    -The flexibility to get things done has been great as well.
    -I can sleep in without having the commute time.
    Etc., etc.

I stopped buying coins online a couple years ago. I prefer to save my coin budget for the annual FUN show where you can look at a dozen examples of the same coin, in hand, and then select the best. With Covid I suspect FUN may not happen in Jan so I went back to purchasing coins online. I purchased 4 coins in the last couple months and sent three of them back. Photox is a real thing buying online as we know. Ugh....anyway...online is the only venue for now.

@jmski52 said:
    1630Boston, what are you doing with my Pine Tree collection? :)

I didn't think you would notice them missing :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file