Home U.S. Coin Forum

What are the odds of finding....

JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 23, 2021 5:08PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ModCrewman said:
    If it was a new box of all coins from 2015 your chances are probably pretty good...if it was a random mixed box your odds against it are astronomical. Neat finds!

Four random boxes of mixed rolls from my bank 5 months ago.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the errors in itself are not major, but the way you found them sure was major. Nice finds.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a guy that was writing a book on die cracks/die chips a few years ago. Not a very popular subject, and I think he ran out of steam before he published it. He would've loved this.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is indeed a rare occurrence.... Random boxes, random rolls.... Should have bought a lottery ticket - your luck was at maximum load.... ;):D Well...buy one anyway....might still be some left...Cheers, RickO

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2020 5:10AM

@ricko said:
    That is indeed a rare occurrence.... Random boxes, random rolls.... Should have bought a lottery ticket - your luck was at maximum load.... ;):D Well...buy one anyway....might still be some left...Cheers, RickO

Good point :D

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat split die break. It will be really cool if you find a progression through the die break. Good luck!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find.

• gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that die split off it would be a sensational looking cud.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a neat haul. I like

• It is not listed/pictured at Cuds on Coins:

http://cuds-on-coins.com/split-dies-on-1-cent-coins/

You should send your pics in to have it added to their listings there.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is way cool! I need to find one of those

Collector, occasional seller

• hyf88hyf88 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

Very cool! Wonder if they pulled the die from production shortly after these were struck.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good eye and keen find! Just hold on to it. One may never know if it should resurface someday by someone who submits it? Cool B) Love dem roll searches.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    Two identical bisection die cracks in the same box?
    It just happened.
    The first coin I found a couple of days ago.
    The second coin I just found.

The odds would be very long against it. It's likely the coins were kept together since their issue in a jar and then dumped to be rolled.
    If that's not the case, then yes, go buy a lotto. I would think the odds would be similar...which is why I don't buy them.

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool. Although they are from different rolls, they are probably from the same source, otherwise, yes, chances would be astronomical.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing a bunch of them got dispersed in the same general geographic area..... and a couple of them found their way back to the same place at different times.

Pretty cool though.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. These are great. I haven't seen a bi-secting die crack on such a modern coin before! And now I've seen 2!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file