NEWP 1883 No Cents Proof. Sending it off to our hosts

MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

A. Possible grade

And

B. Is it worth paying for conservation?

Thank you for your time.

V/r
Mike

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m lousy on grading proofs from photos so I won’t try. Assuming there’s no PVC I would absolutely leave as is. Looks like a nice coin. Good luck!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the goal of the potential conservation?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    edited June 29, 2020 1:44PM

Hi Tom,

Was wondering if the removal of the dark halo would improve the overall appearance. I have never used PCGS conservation services. I have read some of our more experienced members have used them for their gold coins. But had not read on the forum other coins being sent in.

Thank you again for your advice.

V/r
    Mike

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options

@TurtleCat said:
    I’m lousy on grading proofs from photos so I won’t try. Assuming there’s no PVC I would absolutely leave as is. Looks like a nice coin. Good luck!

Thank you turtle.

• Options

@Mgarmy said:

@TurtleCat said:

Thank you turtle.

People do conserve these to remove the toning/tarnish. In some cases that can help the coin. Still, you’d be removing the original patina from the coin. If it’s not unattractive (and it doesn’t look like it is to me) then it won’t improve the value and makes the surface not original.

• Options

Copy. That’s why I go to the professionals on the forum for advice.

Thank you again Sir

• Options

I’m sure you’ll get a lot of opinions. Still, nice coin!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's toned! You sold me on the Tone aspect. Lol.
    Good Luck,dude. :D

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

Thanks Joey. I can’t tell if you are saying that is good or not?

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

The spot/streak on second 8 would very likely be much more obvious and distracting if the coin were dipped/conserved.
    I think I'd leave it alone.

• Options

Ty Mannie.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe think of preservation instead of conservation. I think it’s attractive.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I'm in the minority here. I find the "black mist" very distracting and would have no interest in the coin with that on it- unless I knew I could remove it. I would definitely have them consider it for conservation if it was my coin. The streak across the 8 would not bother me much on an otherwise nice coin. If you send it for conservation, note that you are only concerned with removing the black and to do all possible to keep the underlying color. But also realize that might not be possible.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

Ty smudge and Chris. I am starting a new series and this is my first purchase.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

PR65 as is if the picture is accurate.

• Options

That would be awesome. Ty

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coin! 😍

Ken
  • Options

Ty Bear

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coin!

• Options

Ty Jim

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I prefer coins without tarnish, if it were mine, I would leave it as is.... Not sure what that surface would look like if stripped....Cheers, RickO

• Options

TY Ricko. I follow your posts and will take your advice.

• Options

Bear how is your collection coming along? I know you started a rebuild last year

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS will not remove toning under their conservation rules, as I recall.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Thanks Bob. General consensus from the forum is leave a good thing alone. So I shall

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mgarmy It's getting there again. 🙂

Ken
  • Options

Awesome man

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my series by any means, but I can't see that coin grading higher than PR64. Hope I'm wrong, and best of luck!

• Options

Thanks coin junkie. Fingers crossed

• Options

Strike out. Came back questionable color so it is going back. On the positive...got a 70 on ASE 2008 rev 2007.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mgarmy said:
    Strike out. Came back questionable color so it is going back. On the positive...got a 70 on ASE 2008 rev 2007.

Going back, as in being submitted again? If so and you’re determined to get it into a major TPG holder, I’d try NGC before PCGS, again. And if you’d tried NGC first and gotten that result, I’d suggest trying PCGS next.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Thank you Sir. I spoke with the dealer who had assured me before purchase that it would straight grade and if it did not I can send it back so I am. Not going to press my luck with a resubmit

• Options

@Mgarmy said:
    Thank you Sir. I spoke with the dealer who had assured me before purchase that it would straight grade and if it did not I can send it back so I am. Not going to press my luck with a resubmit

That’s a good plan. It may be questionable color but that could be for something other than typical artificial toning.

• Options

Thank you turtle

• Options

@Mgarmy said:

Glad to hear it. In the future, unless you’re highly expert, if you want a graded con, it would be better to buy it that way. That will probably save you time, money and frustration.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Copy Sir. Good advice. Particularly for a new series for me. Tried to homer first time at bat for this series and whiffed. I should stick to morgans and ASE proofs. Gaining competency there

• Options
    edited August 19, 2020 2:52PM

So...cracked it...sent to NGC because I saw many of this coin same year similar toning that straight graded, got the grade today...proof 62. First successful crack out upgrade from problem designation to straight grade. Glad I did not return it as I was going to, after reading in the boards here the dealers side of the coin so to speak, I took the risk on the raw coin decided not to saddle the dealer and he turned out to be right.

• Options

@Mgarmy said:
    So...cracked it...sent to NGC because I saw many of this coin same year similar toning that straight graded, got the grade today...proof 62. First successful crack out upgrade from problem designation to straight grade. Glad I did not return it as I was going to, after reading in the boards here the dealers side of the coin so to speak, I took the risk on the raw coin decided not to saddle the dealer and he turned out to be right.

The most important thing is that you’re satisfied, if not happy. That said, in the end, it sounds as if you paid two grading fees (plus postage) for a coin with an approximate value of $200.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2020 3:21PM

I was going to note this Mark, but held off. Perhaps the motivation was not so much financial but more a "spike the football" that his instincts were correct.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@Catbert said:
    I was going to note this Mark, but held off. Perhaps the motivation was not so much financial but more a "spike the football" that his instincts were correct.

Fair point.

• Options
    edited August 19, 2020 3:29PM

I would like to think it is a D+ in organic chem on the retest after hard study. Plus ngc ran that sale due to cancelled convention so I sent 25 coins down there at 12 bucks or so a pop. Can’t remember exact amount but it was 20% off economy rate.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well the special was 20% off econ which is $22 so that is $17.60 plus fees and shipping which likely put your cost back to around $20 each. Still a good deal and Nice that you got the result you wanted.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much would you have been able to sell it back to the dealer for?

• Options
    edited August 19, 2020 5:55PM

What I paid, which I believe was around 185. I am solely a collector so I don’t keep books as I probably should.

• Options

Thank you coin buff, as I told young Landon, this is an expensive hobby and the education costs😁

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file