Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Now this is a Two-Cent Piece. 1869 Top-of-the-Pop Proof sells for $43k at recent Stacks Bowers event

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lot Description
Top-of-the-Pop Proof 1869 Two-Cent Piece

PCGS PR-67RD

1869 Two-Cent Piece. Proof-67 RD (PCGS).

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-N4DMR/1869-two-cent-piece-proof-67-rd-pcgs

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sure looks nice. I keep hearing that CAC has seen nearly all of the expensive coins out there. So we can probably assume they don’t agree with the grade?

I’d love to see it in person.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    It sure looks nice. I keep hearing that CAC has seen nearly all of the expensive coins out there. So we can probably assume they don’t agree with the grade?

Or (assuming that they did see it), perhaps they didn’t agree with the color designation.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited June 29, 2020 1:50PM

@MFeld said:

@TurtleCat said:

Or (assuming that they did see it), perhaps they didn’t agree with the color designation.

The TrueView does make it look fully red with a little mellowing. Of course we haven’t seen it in person. Still, this is a case where it would be nice if CAC would note whether they’ve seen a particular slab cert and when.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:

@MFeld said:

@TurtleCat said:

The TrueView does make it look fully red with a little mellowing. Of course we haven’t seen it in person. Still, this is a case where it would be nice if CAC would note whether they’ve seen a particular slab cert and when.

How much mellowing?😉

“Red (RD) is the designation that follows the numerical grade of MS/PR copper coins that are still in full mint bloom, with original color as struck and only slight diminishing of the luster or reflectivity is allowed. There must be at least 95 percent of the red color on both sides of the coins.“

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@TurtleCat said:

@MFeld said:

@TurtleCat said:

How much mellowing?😉

“Red (RD) is the designation that follows the numerical grade of MS/PR copper coins that are still in full mint bloom, with original color as struck and only slight diminishing of the luster or reflectivity is allowed. There must be at least 95 percent of the red color on both sides of the coins.“

True. 95% is hard to actually quantify to some extent but I’d think PCGS would be reasonably consistent in that designation at least, especially for an expensive coin where the price differential might make them err on the side of caution.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow...that sure is an amazing two cent coin.... I have always liked these (had two when I was a kid...still have one)..Never saw one in full red before....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file