Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

MINTS HANDLING OF THE W QUARTER SERIES IS BEYOND EXPLANATION

tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭

First they did not get either the 2019 issue ready in time and then they did the same with 2020 series. They then distributed them to a few cities they picked in 2019,, but said they corrected that but did they? The only thing they did was to mix them in with the P's and D's and get them scratched up more. Then all of a sudden none of the Salt River W's have showed up in circulation but some boxes, without W's, start showing up in some areas. Are they ever going to get this straightened out.? They have really booted this one. SNAFU!

Comments

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm confused. I thought the seeding was supposed to be random.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always figured the odds of seeing one in circulation were near nil. The larger cities with more need for circulating coinage will almost always see all of them than mid to small size cities. There’s simply no inexpensive way to ensure fair distribution.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Maybe they want them to actually circulate? Not be gleaned by profiteers?

Or for them to be found by collectors or folks who might get the collecting bug by finding one as opposed to the profiteers, I really don't have any sympathy for you.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. The decision to strike a W coin for each year was made too late to include the W with the first National Park quarter of the year. Remember there was no planned Ws for 2020 until the last minute. Therefore in both years the year's first W was included in the release of the second coin.
    2. They are all mixed with Ps & Ds because they are intended to go into general circulation.
    3. Based on locations of ebay sellers for all the coins thus far it appears they are making a nationwide appearance.
    4. Many of the Ps and Ds are rolled and put in bank boxes with no Ws. For example, just searched a box of San Antonios that had no Ws. Have seen many others.
    5. Limited number of Salt Rivers boxes showing up, most likely because federal reserve has restricted what it is releasing to the public because of the so called coin shortage.

Other than that I agree with you.
    1. they should roll all the W coins separately.
    2. They should sell boxes of the W rolls only to me.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

That was was supposed to be the case but I receive more this year than I receive last when I was in one of the deleted areas.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No doubt about rural areas, small towns/villages being neglected. Have seen none of these yet... even asked at the bank, and the two tellers were not even aware of W quarters...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever it takes to get people looking is fine. It's when they try to sell me a modern coin for twenty dollars that's most amusing.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Living in rural America, they got the goldmine I got the shaft.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb the reason for #4 is that the coins are being mixed into the 1-ton ballistic bags the mint sends to the Fed's contracted coin terminals. They're the people who put new coins into circulation by counting and wrapping from the big bags (along with recirculating coins from their customers).

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

The mixing process is why we get so many badly damaged coins unlike last years 's that looked much nicer. I hope they put this W idea to bed with this years coins as they have screwed it up from day one, but this is typical with the min IMO.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really don't see the problem. They showed how they seeded them into the giant bags.

There is no bias, other than statistics, against rural areas.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

Have seen none of these yet... even asked at the bank, and the two tellers were not even aware of W quarters...

Which leads me to think the W actually stand for WHAT as whenever I mention the W quarters to anyone around here, they always reply, "What?"

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of all the W mint quarters, so far, I have seen ONE in the register tills at my part time job...it was beat up pretty bad for an AU, but I found one.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finding them randomly in circulation is success.

Having any pattern that allows profiteers to corner the market is a failure.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

@ricko said:

Have seen none of these yet... even asked at the bank, and the two tellers were not even aware of W quarters...

Which leads me to think the W actually stand for WHAT as whenever I mention the W quarters to anyone around here, they always reply, "What?"

They seeded a few million of these amid a few billion quarters. No reason why a teller would be aware of them at all. They don't look at mint marks.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf ....In general, you are correct about tellers.... However, in this case, I have asked about coins so often there, that one of the tellers became interested in coins and has actually started a small collection with her son.... :) My contribution to the expansion of our hobby.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Onastone said:

@ricko said:

They seeded a few million of these amid a few billion quarters. No reason why a teller would be aware of them at all. They don't look at mint marks.

I have a hard time looking at those mint marks ! Without a magnifying glass a D looks like a W to me.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Onastone said:

@ricko said:

I have a hard time looking at those mint marks ! Without a magnifying glass a D looks like a W to me.

Just you wait until you can't tell a nickel from a quarter without a good pair of glasses.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Onastone said:

@ricko said:

I used to be able to read all the mint marks with the naked eye, but lately have a newfound appreciation for a loupe and am starting to hold the coins at a distance to focus....gotta love growing older.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Whatever it takes to get people looking is fine. It's when they try to sell me a modern coin for twenty dollars that's most amusing.

And that would be a lower grade at that price. 67 and up are much rarer (so far for the 2019's) and of course more costly.

I live near a city and have yet to see one in the wild, but I don't do cash transactions very much these days. I still check my coins when I get them.

I decided to grab a 67 at the last FUN show. This one was the best looking 67 I looked at (sadly just cell phone pics):

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m still puzzled why they bothered with S-mint uncirculated coins. I just meant I had to buy another album.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

The 19's were definitely a better looking coin than the 20's are. They did not get the rough treatment the 20's got. I like the lowell coin best myself.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    1. The decision to strike a W coin for each year was made too late to include the W with the first National Park quarter of the year. Remember there was no planned Ws for 2020 until the last minute. Therefore in both years the year's first W was included in the release of the second coin.
    2. They are all mixed with Ps & Ds because they are intended to go into general circulation.
    3. Based on locations of ebay sellers for all the coins thus far it appears they are making a nationwide appearance.
    4. Many of the Ps and Ds are rolled and put in bank boxes with no Ws. For example, just searched a box of San Antonios that had no Ws. Have seen many others.
    5. Limited number of Salt Rivers boxes showing up, most likely because federal reserve has restricted what it is releasing to the public because of the so called coin shortage.

Apparently it's not beyond explanation.

• Options

If you can believe what they say it is but I don't until I see what they end up doing with the 3 remaining W issues.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    If you can believe what they say it is but I don't until I see what they end up doing with the 3 remaining W issues.

Why you may not see them; see my July 1 post in this thread.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

Why you may not see them; see my July 1 post in this thread.

I have been told by a reliable source that the Fed will be easing the bank boxed coin allocation effective 7/10 and the Salt River W will be released starting 7/17. Fingers crossed this is true because my bank just lowered my coin boxes from 1 a day to 1 a week starting today.

• Options

I went through over 100 quarter rolls and have not found one. The thing that gets me crazy is now some people have many multiple W coins to sell and I live in NYC and cannot find one in general circulation.

• Options

@pruscoins said:
    I went through over 100 quarter rolls and have not found one. The thing that gets me crazy is now some people have many multiple W coins to sell and I live in NYC and cannot find one in general circulation.

to find new W's you gotta find rolls of new 2019 or 2020 quarters. Best to find the new rolls in a sealed box of 50. If there's one new roll in there, there will be 50 rolls of new coins. I find a box of new rolls about every 10 boxes on average. If the bank gives you a roll of new quarters it's because they opened a box of new quarters.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@pruscoins said:

to find new W's you gotta find rolls of new 2019 or 2020 quarters. Best to find the new rolls in a sealed box of 50. If there's one new roll in there, there will be 50 rolls of new coins. I find a box of new rolls about every 10 boxes on average. If the bank gives you a roll of new quarters it's because they opened a box of new quarters.

After close to a thousand boxes of quarters exchanged from banks in NYC during the past decade, I still haven't get a brand new roll of quarters from them. Dime on the other hand, 2 out of 5?

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent way to build the odds for a big pay day!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file