Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's inside the box ?

levinlllevinll Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

Pulled a mint sealed box from my safe deposit box that was shipped in December 2007. Not wanting to open the box (in case what's inside it is still FS eligible) I was wondering if there's a way to identify what's inside the box without opening it.

I bought it sealed (from another person) so I can't simply log into my US mint account to see the order #.

I think I know what it is (based on the PGID #16798352) but I want to be sure before trying to sell it "as is".

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2020 7:28PM

Do you have a medical friend with access to a scope?

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2020 7:34PM

The tracking number on the box, as long as you’re able to access an account, will give you the information.
    Otherwise, as noted above, you best have people in the x-ray field.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2020 7:45PM

For extra points, what recent issue did we have “ethical newbies” coming to the forum asking how they could reseal their boxes?

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah...tracking # if you have your account, as Mileswaits said. That's best way.
    I've used that to look up some of my opened boxes (since 2006) as some of the external post-its had fallen off, that I used.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    For extra points, what recent issue did we have “ethical newbies” coming to the forum asking how they could reseal their boxes?

I didn't see that....only thing I could think would be GSA dollars?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

He said he bought it from someone else so his account won't be of any help.

Yikes. Unopened boxes from 13 years ago where there isn't 100% certainty is what's inside. Maybe the original seller already swapped out the original contents. :*

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are the dimensions of the box (height, length, thickness) and the weight?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get the people from Forensic Files on the job..... They will swab it for DNA, track it to the individual who packaged it, then have them check their records.... :D>:) Cheers, RickO

• Options

7 1/2" x 6 3/4" x 2 3/8"

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a dilemma.

If it was me, I'd just rip that sucker open and relish the contents.

I'm no help at all...............

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not a fan of sealed boxes unless we’re talking about the little plastic ‘boxes’ encapsulating my coins with grade and serial number. :)

I hope you have some good treasure in there though.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

2019 s erp for a thousand Alex (to answer the question above)

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a thread from this year trying to see inside a sealed GSA box
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12540988#Comment_12540988

Carson City $1 GSA Hoard in Original US Postal Box Labeled 1878 UNOPENED

"For those watching this chain, I attempted to use an X-ray machine, as well as a CT scanner with 3D image (healthcare systems) to see within this box without opening it. Unfortunately, this was unsuccessful and unable to see the coin and it’s design in any clarity. Oh well, it was worth a shot, but technology has its limitations too!"

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there any lists for what was issued in 2007? Don't remember it being a banner year for mint products.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3stars said:
    Are there any lists for what was issued in 2007? Don't remember it being a banner year for mint products.

United States Mint 2007 Gift Catalog

Featured in this year’s catalog are the first four Presidential $1 Coins packaged in assorted sets, including the Presidential $1 Coin Proof Set™, United States Mint Proof Set®, United States Mint Silver Proof Set™, and the redesigned United States Mint Uncirculated Coin Set®. Also featured is the 2007 United States Mint American Legacy Collection™, which includes a proof silver dollar from both the Jamestown 400th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Program and the Little Rock Central High School Desegregation 50th Anniversary Coin Program, along with 14 coins from the United States Mint Proof Set.

Additional products offered in this catalog include:

–50 State Quarters Coin and Die Sets–Montana, Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah

–50 State Quarters First Day Coin Covers™

–50 State Quarters Greetings from America Portfolios and Card Sets™, 1999–200.

–American Buffalo Gold Proof Coin

–American Eagle Gold Proof and Uncirculated Coins – available in the 1/10–ounce, 1/4–ounce, 1/2–ounce, and one–ounce weights and the four–coin set; the individual one–ounce proof coin is sold ou.

–American Eagle Platinum Proof and Uncirculated Coins – available in the 1/10–ounce, 1/4–ounce, 1/2–ounce and one–ounce weights, and the four–coin set

–American Eagle Silver Coins, Proof and Uncirculated

–Bronze Medals — Tuskegee Airmen, Byron Nelson, Norman Borlaug, Little Rock Nine in 1½– and three–inch sizes

–Collector’s Boxes – Boxes accommodate one–, two–, and three–lens sets, quarter rolls and dollar rolls

–Jamestown 400th Anniversary Coin Program, featuring a proof and uncirculated $5 coin and a proof and uncirculated silver dolla.

–Little Rock Central High School Desegregation 50th Anniversary Coin Program, featuring a proof and uncirculated silver dolla.

–United States Mint 50 State Quarters Proof Set™

–United States Mint 50 State Quarters Silver Proof Set™

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jefferson's Liberty half ounce gold?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

I'm thinking it's the 10th anniversary 2 coin plat. coin set.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, send it on in to PCGS!
    You put the whole box in your SDB, odds are its not a proof set or silver eagle.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    Well, send it on in to PCGS!
    You put the whole box in your SDB, odds are its not a proof set or silver eagle.

This may be the best solution.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

There should be a 3 character code on the outer label of the shipping box for something from 2007 it would be a letter followed by 2 digits example U90.

• Options

Don't see any 3 digit/character code on the outer label.

If I'm assuming that what it's in the box is the 2 coin plat set, is it worth more having a FS label ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file