Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone have 4th Ed Edkins handy? Or Schenkman?

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this this piece of coal scrip today and popped on it. I’m hoping for R7 or better. It’s not in the tokencatalog.com.

I also picked up a few other goodies. This token from wheeling is interesting due to the pictorial on both dies. You may know wheeling was once the capital of West Virginia.

And then a few more newps. Most of the merchant tokens I see don’t have dates and are not pictorial.

Comments

• Options
    CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

Great tokens! I checked my 4th edition of Edkins and it is listed as WV 2389 A500 and is a rarity 9. Hope that helps.

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CWT1863 said:
    Great tokens! I checked my 4th edition of Edkins and it is listed as WV 2389 A500 and is a rarity 9. Hope that helps.

Thank you! It always happens that I find scrip when I don’t have my book with me. No way in the world to remember all those.

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Wheeling - Antlers piece is a "B" in the Schenkman catalog -- I've handled it several times. The saloon was located at 31 12th Street in the early 1900s.

The Terra Alta is also a "B". It's part of a six piece set from 1c to $1, a general store in business from the 1880s to the early 1900s. I've had a couple different denominations over the years.

There are 18-20 listings for the Benwood - Caravasios Restaurant in various denominations combined with various Orco reverses. All denoms and varieties are "A" with a couple listed at "B". These turn up all the time often mixed in with WV coal scrip.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more I see these old tokens, the more I sense a growing interest in them.... Must fight it...cannot give in.... :#:D Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file