Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Colonial Coin Forum

MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are eleven different forums (not fora - I looked it up :smile: ) under the Coins and Currency tab on the home page. I think we should add a twelfth - a forum devoted to US colonial era coins. Since these included coins minted by the states, foreign coins, and even tokens, and since colonial era coins present so many challenges, I think collectors would benefit from such a forum.

Comments

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    I'm guessing it'd be pretty dead. Probably just better off posting here where the eyeballs are.

I'll keep posting here. :smile:

But aren't most of the other forums pretty dead compared to here?

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MidLifeCrisis said:

@CoinJunkie said:
    I'm guessing it'd be pretty dead. Probably just better off posting here where the eyeballs are.

Yep.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be good for a focused area, but would not likely get much traffic - when you post a question or instructional material, you want as many eyes as possible....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could do quite well, given that the colonial Yahoo forum switched to a mail list recently. The PCGS forum presentation is much more amenable to numismatic discussion.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2020 7:49AM

I prefer tags over another forum. I uses tags a lot and don't really go to other forums.

There's already a tag for Colonials:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussions/tagged/colonial

Tags show up under the OP and let you quickly find other posts with the same tags.

Popular tags are linked from the US Coins top page:

• Options
    edited June 27, 2020 8:29AM

@MidLifeCrisis said:

@CoinJunkie said:

To me, other forums being pretty dead isn't necessarily a good thing or a reason to have another one.

I'd rather see some of those consolidated through tags.

But it would be nice for PCGSS to have:

• a list of all tags
    • a pinned list of tags

Right now, if a tag isn't popular, it can be hard to find.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree it would be nice to have all such content easily found in one area. There has to be a better way. As @Zoins said, maybe an improved tagging system would be helpful, not to mention an educational sticky thread that tells people how to properly use it.

That said, I have a slightly different idea. Currently, if I enter a thread, notice the content isn't for me or no longer have an interest in it...and leave that thread...I still get NOTIFICATIONS that there are replies to that thread, all of which I do not care about. I get thousands of these notifications per week and they are mostly useless.

If we could choose threads, tags/topics, people to subscribe to then the NOTIFICATIONS could be extremely useful. We could have a default view of the forum and then an alternative view of the forum based only on content we have subscribed to. I think that would be much cooler, although it would require a bit of development time so there is that.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

@keyman64 said:
    That said, I have a slightly different idea. Currently, if I enter a thread, notice the content isn't for me or no longer have an interest in it...and leave that thread...I still get NOTIFICATIONS that there are replies to that thread, all of which I do not care about. I get thousands of these notifications per week and they are mostly useless.

If we could choose threads, tags/topics, people to subscribe to then the NOTIFICATIONS could be extremely useful. We could have a default view of the forum and then an alternative view of the forum based only on content we have subscribed to. I think that would be much cooler, although it would require a bit of development time so there is that.

Occasionally I get notifications for threads I don't want notifications for and it's from accidentally bookmarking the thread.

When I unclick the bookmark's star icon, I no longer receive the unwanted notifications.

• Options

I'll keep an eye out for that but I do not think that is something I have done...but it certainly could be!

Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:
    I agree it would be nice to have all such content easily found in one area. There has to be a better way. As @Zoins said, maybe an improved tagging system would be helpful, not to mention an educational sticky thread that tells people how to properly use it.

You must have some box checked in your notification preferences that could be defeated. I only get notifications when someone posts to a thread I start or replies to a (quoted) post of mine.

• Options
    edited June 27, 2020 9:12AM

@keyman64 said:
    I'll keep an eye out for that but I do not think that is something I have done...but it certainly could be!

I tend to accidentally do that when using the mobile site. Never on a computer.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

good idea, I think there'd be an immediate interest followed by loyal participation from the 17 forum members who'd play in that part of the pool. :p it would end up like the Sports Forum, a very small group who seem to stay there with occasional visitors that they attempt to drive away.....................successfully.

on second thought, if there was a separate forum for Colonials you guys wouldn't post them here and I'd never see them. keep posting them here, please. B)

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

You want to see dead, check out the Stamps Forum

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:

@keyman64 how long have you been here and you still haven't chosen suitable preferences? :#

1) Click the gear icon at the top right of your home page.
    2) You will get a dropdown menu with "Edit Profile" as one of the options. Click it.
    3) On the right hand side you will see a list of options with "Notification Preferences" as one of them. Click it.
    4) From there you can click or un-click away to your heart's delight for notification options.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@MidLifeCrisis said:
    There are eleven different forums (not fora - I looked it up :smile: ) under the Coins and Currency tab on the home page. I think we should add a twelfth - a forum devoted to US colonial era coins. Since these included coins minted by the states, foreign coins, and even tokens, and since colonial era coins present so many challenges, I think collectors would benefit from such a forum.

As for MLC's original question. It is my experienced opinion that there is a strong correlation between board fragmentation and loss of information dispersal. Folks simply don't want to click on seven-thousand (or even eleven or twelve!) sub-boards to cruise for information. If you really want to see discussions for US colonial era coins die on the vine with a small cadre of folks reading them then a new sub-forum would achieve that for you. If, however, you would rather get input from a wide range of folks and also have a ton of folks exposed to the subject, then I would suggest leaving these discussions on the main board.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a suggestion, change the name of the thread to OFFICIAL COLONIAL THREAD and keep it going. We have a goofy (No offense) COINSTAR thread that's more-or-less permanent and there are others. Keep posting those interesting facts and amazing photos and it will stay on page 1 - IMO.

• Options

@TomB said:

@keyman64 said:

@keyman64 how long have you been here and you still haven't chosen suitable preferences? :#

1) Click the gear icon at the top right of your home page.
    2) You will get a dropdown menu with "Edit Profile" as one of the options. Click it.
    3) On the right hand side you will see a list of options with "Notification Preferences" as one of them. Click it.
    4) From there you can click or un-click away to your heart's delight for notification options.

Lol, I know. I'm notified for just about everything. I just never got around to it, I guess. I always knew it was there.
    I just went and unchecked this one as I hope it is the one that was causing the most trouble.
    "Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in."

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you really want to see discussions for US colonial era coins die on the vine with a small cadre of folks reading them then a new sub-forum would achieve that for you. If, however, you would rather get input from a wide range of folks and also have a ton of folks exposed to the subject, then I would suggest leaving these discussions on the main board.

hey, TomB, didn't I just say that!!??!! B)

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best thing you could do for colonial interest is to continue posting them here. I’d love for PCGS to do away with the dark side boards too and just run those threads here with headers or tags. There would be a lot more eyeballs and participation. I know I would have been attracted there earlier but I just wasn’t seeing them.

Think of how annoying dealer websites are when they’re fragmented into many categories. Same thing applies here :)

• Options

@keets said:
    If you really want to see discussions for US colonial era coins die on the vine with a small cadre of folks reading them then a new sub-forum would achieve that for you. If, however, you would rather get input from a wide range of folks and also have a ton of folks exposed to the subject, then I would suggest leaving these discussions on the main board.

hey, TomB, didn't I just say that!!??!! B)

Yes, I think so, but I kind of glazed over after I read the comment about keyman64's notifications! :#

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MidLifeCrisis said:

Good idea !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

@oldabeintx said:
    As a suggestion, change the name of the thread to OFFICIAL COLONIAL THREAD and keep it going. We have a goofy (No offense) COINSTAR thread that's more-or-less permanent and there are others. Keep posting those interesting facts and amazing photos and it will stay on page 1 - IMO.

I think I will do that. :smile:

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Continual threads take a very long time to load.
    I don't bother with them unless I'm bored.
    Don't like em !
    :s

• Options

@MidLifeCrisis said:

@oldabeintx said:

I think I will do that. :smile:

I would recommend you use a different thread so it can start off with lots of photos of great colonials rather than lots of posts about creating a forum ;)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Parking lot coins forum would probably do better.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Klif50 said:
    You want to see dead, check out the Stamps Forum

I thought you were kidding until confirming that there really is a Stamps Forum...

Smitten with DBLCs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file