Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hand Cut Grading

I know this is widely debated, but I’m really curious why this 1933 Eclipse Import did not get a grade. There is white visible outside of the border all the way around. I sent this card raw for grading. I did not cut this at all but I have not owned this card very long so someone may have cut it recently. I just thought it was a very nice looking version of one of these and deserving of a grade. Any thoughts or insight

?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know enough about Eclipse to really comment. Was there a dashed outside border or other indication where to cut? If so, that needs to be showing, like on the Hostess below. Not sure if Eclipse sheets had such lines though.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    justmero3justmero3 Posts: 74 ✭✭

If you look at the photos of the back there are dashed lines at the top and bottom only separating it from the other cards in the strip. These came in strips and not sheets.

• Options

@justmero3 said:
    If you look at the photos of the back there are dashed lines at the top and bottom only separating it from the other cards in the strip. These came in strips and not sheets.

Then I really don’t know the answer to your question, sorry.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Thanks for the reply and that’s a beautiful Yaz

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hand cut cards are a tough animal. What you need to do in most cases is seek out a graded example and try to match to match them up and the criteria starts to become apparent.

Even with hand cut cards there are often established norms within each issue that must be met. And they’re often unique to each issue but still some common sense applies. This can include

Right angles on four sided cards
    Need a visible border line
    Has the implied full borders
    Needs to be a minimum size
    Needs to be free of damage on back

While I know nothing of that issue, my guess is that card measures a little but short based on the off centered borders and it not ‘filling the space’ inside the holder.

You can use the registry page for the set; usually features a nice example of a nice card with a numerical grade. (Not always)

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    While I know nothing of that issue, my guess is that card measures a little but short based on the off centered borders and it not ‘filling the space’ inside the holder.

A quick check on eBay looks like this is correct. The OPs card looks to be too narrow:

• Options

Great info. I did find one on the registry. It does seem a bit larger perhaps but it’s hand cut. I thought as long as it had borders it was grade-able. Actually mine appears to have the cut lines on the back visible while this one does not.

• Options

No, in the case of cards, “size matters.”

Yaz Master Set

• Options

So what if it’s cut too big for the case? Does it still get an ‘Authentic’ ?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.psacard.com/resources/gradingstandards/#cards
    Scroll down and expand "The Grading of Hand-Cut Cards"

• Options

Also helpful. A little vague, but helpful. They say if a card doesn’t have viable borders then it has to fall within a certain size. These appear to have borders but I guess it must be a size issue. Just seems weird in general as I see some graded versions that a very beat up and very bad appeal and this one is in excellent shape as far as appeal/surface/fading but might be a fraction small.
    Thank you everyone.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vague is correct. Grading on hand cut cards does vary.

I have seen cards that have defined borders receive a numeric grade even when the entire border was missing!

Hand cut cards are a minute part of PSA's business and your fate is in the hand of a grader who might interpret the guidelines differently than another.

I have several hand cut cards in my collection. It seems to me that your card did not leave enough white border on the top, even though the left side is fine with little border showing. I am assuming the card was deemed too small.

I think your card is nicer than the PSA2 pictured. I think your card deserved a numeric grade.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set