Homeβ€Ί Sports Talk
Options

What is your most prized collectible?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know a lot of the brethren in the Sports forum collect, whether it be cards, coins, memorbilia, or anything else. So what is your most prized collectible? For me, it is my newly purchased, ridiculously rare 1937 Globo Chewing Gum Joe Louis card. It was my holy grail Joe Louis card, and I was lucky enough to purchase it earlier this month. So what is your most prized collectible, whether it be coins, cards, memorbilia, or anything else? Here is mine.

Comments

• Options

My wife asked me the other day, which would I choose if I had to make a choice, Joe Louis or her? I looked at her and said, "That's a silly question, do you even have to ask"? Joe Louis of course!

• Options

No, I take that back, I would choose my wife, because Joe Louis keeps refusing to give me any sugar.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    No, I take that back, I would choose my wife, because Joe Louis keeps refusing to give me any sugar.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Options

Double D, is that your wife’s Bit Emoji? Those are hilarious!

• Options

@perkdog said:

LOL, no that's just something I dug up! My wife doesn't know anything about how the internet even functions. She's a TV head!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

LOL, no that's just something I dug up! My wife doesn't know anything about how the internet even functions. She's a TV head!

Got it πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Options

@steel75 said:
    Steel Curtain helmet auto's. Can't see me EVER parting with it.

I’m not a Steelers fan but that is a very nice piece!!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Dad died when I was 5. He was a big Jim Rice fan, so I am too (I know, I know... πŸ˜‚). He got me a signed ball and one of his bats. It's still at Mom's house, so no pics...

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I got a signed Ted Williams Baseball that my father got signed in person by Ted back in 1960 at Ted Williams Baseball camp in Boston.

That's awesome!!!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the only complete set ever assembled in PSA slabs. And I love them so...

1951 Wheaties Premium Photos

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    This is the only complete set ever assembled in PSA slabs. And I love them so...

Very nice Tim! πŸ‘πŸ‘

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Basketball signed by the entire1962 Ohio State team.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:

Ralph, did you buy it as is or get that done personally?

• Options
    Parkerplenty123Parkerplenty123 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2020 2:07AM

This is one of my favorite cards that would be very hard to let go of. Having the autographs and game worn jersey pieces of these guys (Tom Brady, Joe Montana, John Elway, Troy Aikman, Peyton & Eli Manning) is the main reason, but the amount of NFL history with so few players on one card is the other. A total of 19 SB wins represented. All are SB MVP winners. All won at least two SB's. It has the QB who won the most SB's, and the QB that went undefeated in SB's against him. Four of them won back to back SB's, and one is the only QB to ever win one SB with two different teams.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I got a signed Ted Williams Baseball that my father got signed in person by Ted back in 1960 at Ted Williams Baseball camp in Boston.

Nice Paul!!

• Options

@perkdog said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

Very nice Tim! πŸ‘πŸ‘

+1

• Options

I have to add this to the list. A James "Buster" Douglas autographed boxing glove. Thanks galaxy27!

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@perkdog said:

Nice Paul!!

Here ya go AL, I know you of all people will appreciate this. It’s been in this holder since about 1982

• Options

Thanks for posting the pic Paul! I nice treasure to never let go of.

No question Ted Williams could easily be regarded as the greatest hitter that every played the game. Losing 5 precious years to WWII and the Korean war really impacted his final numbers. Saw him play a few times in Fenway...just a kid then, but somehow my dad always got us seats to the right of the 420' sign, so I kinda had a face on view to left field and Williams.

I'm reading "The Kid" by Ben Bradlee Jr...its over 800 pages with the credits and notes. Some really interesting stuff if you're into the early history of the game and of course Williams. A couple of the things I learned was that he was Mexican/American, with his mother being Hispanic. He hid this tenaciously. He was also left alone at a very young age, like 8 to fend for himself, his mother was a FANATIC Salvation Army Worker, and his dad was a big boozer, who left home for days at a time. He and his older brother Danny, oftentimes waited late into the night for either of them to show...they had to make it on their own...his salvation was baseball. He was very, very close to signing with the Yankees!! His parents demanded they get a $5k signing bonus or he walks...they settled for $2.5k and Yawkey had his guy. He was only 17 when the ink dried on the contract.

He was a tortured soul, and fought some demons, but oftentimes he went to local Boston hospitals to visit sick kids in the middle of the night. He had given some doctors his private number and told them to call him if he could help a kid and he'd be there if he was in Boston. Never made the press, as he threatened he'd stop doing it if it was reported...he didn't want the public to know. He was deep into the Jimmy Fund, and did some seriously nice work for sick kids. He wasn't an angel, but he had a big heart for kids.

It's incredible and sad to think he's frozen in a cryogenic lab in Arizona and his head has been severed and frozen separately!! Kinda sick stuff!!!

I cherish the fading memories of him and Mantle in Fenway. .406, who's gonna top that? And, a homer in his last at bat to boot.

Stay well my friend...and thanks for sharing the ball pic.
    Al

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2020 9:07AM

I would probably never part with my 1979 World Champion Pittsburgh Pirates signed Louisville slugger bat . It was signed by the entire team at a 1999 20 yr anniversary reunion.

Honorable mention....1980 topps Rickey Henderson PSA 10

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@MCMLVTopps Nice post Al, I knew Ted was into the Jimmy Fund but didn’t know he was doing that stuff you mentioned. As adults most of us have our β€œDemons” but having a soft spot for sick kids somehow makes up for the bad stuff. It’s a sad story with his kid forging his autos to make money off his name and all that other stuff but none of it takes away from his legendary status

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Brick said:

I purchased it secondhand. I vaguely remember a large grocery store chain having a promotion for several of these balls. I guess NCAA rules were different back then. I've had it for about 40 years. I paid $17 for it. One day a collectible expert was on the radio. I called in to get an estimate of its value. $20, I guess I made a small profit.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:

@perkdog said:

@Brick said:

I purchased it secondhand. I vaguely remember a large grocery store chain having a promotion for several of these balls. I guess NCAA rules were different back then. I've had it for about 40 years. I paid $17 for it. One day a collectible expert was on the radio. I called in to get an estimate of its value. $20, I guess I made a small profit.

Yea $3 is better than $2. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. Nice collectible either way!

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hank Aaron bought a car or 2 from my dad many decades ago, I have an auto ball stashed somewhere I’ve forgotten about for years.

• Options
    DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Micky Mantle signed baseball, Jim Brown signed helmet and my 1958 Jim Brown RC