Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Which Darryl Strawberry RC is the real McCoy? i.e.... (your favorite)?

Which Darryl Strawberry RC is the real McCoy? i.e.... (your favorite)?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '83 Traded....

give me the 83 traded

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    '84 Fleer

Which card is his BEST rookie? I think without much doubt it the 83 TT, but my favorite has always been the 84 Fleer.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

1983 Topps Traded. That was the card to have as a kid in 1984

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    '83 Traded....

Like 'em all. Love the 83TT.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '83 Traded....

Another poll eh? 83 Traded is his true RC. The 84’s are not.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in those days, the ROOKIE CARD would have been the one available in
    a wax pack. The '83 card would have "XRC" in the description. My favorite is
    the 1984 Donruss card. At one time I had 35+ plus of them. It's just a good
    looking card from a snazzy set from the 80's.

• Options
    bswhitenbswhiten Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Love it... some of my Straw "rookie" pc

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '83 Traded....

This will be like following the Beatles...but got to looooooove the Straw!

C.M. Burns: You! Strawberry! Hit a home run.

Strawberry: You got it, skip!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    '83 Traded....

@MLBdays said:
    If Darryl was drafted by the NY METS #1 overall in 1980.... why is he even on an '83 topps traded card?? Traded from where? Tidewater? ...

Topps Traded, back then, was like an update/extension of the 1983 Topps set. While definitely a stand alone product (checklist starts at # 1T), it was a smaller set produced to feature new managers, capture significant players that had changed teams as well as call ups from the minors making their debut.

I think it was somewhere in the 1970’s that the rookie craze started and people began to go crazy for the ‘first’ card of a player, with ‘52 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle chief among the earliest movers. Topps has been very good at spotting trends in the hobby and catering to them since it’s inception. Cal Ripken has a similar collection of rookies to the Straw...

I don’t think there were any packs - I’m pretty sure you had to buy the whole set to get the card(s) that you wanted.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    '83 Traded....

You can never go wrong with that '83 design

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

I like the 84 Fleer as the best looking because of the pose and the only one with the team logo. But the 83 tt is the true rooking card.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '83 Traded....

I voted for the 83 traded but I like all of his rookies. I wish he had a better career because I enjoyed watching him in his first six years.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lwehlers said:
    I voted for the 83 traded but I like all of his rookies. I wish he had a better career because I enjoyed watching him in his first six years.

He actually had a pretty good career. He was far better than Harold Baines and would have been somewhere in the middle of the pack were he on last year's Veterans ballot.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

First traded set I bought when newly issued, to get the Garvey card. The set went crazy for a while, driven mostly by Strawberry.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    '84 Topps Tiffany

The 1983 Topps Traded will see a lot of movement if his cards are on the rise, but that same can be said for the 1984 Topps Tiffany. His best card would be the 1984 Topps Tiffany. While prices are volatile right now, the 1983 card is roughly $200, while the 1984 card runs for about $500. With that said, all Strawberry rookies are good to own, though.

I like the 1984 Topps Image along with the 1983 Topps Traded image a very close second. Athletes need to be pictured in action. Just my preference.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '83 Traded....

I voted 83TT, but the 84 Topps card commands your attention.

Andy

• Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    '83 Traded....

Back in the day I do not recall anyone caring about the 1983TT. Not to say I am right but does anyone else remember it that way?

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '83 Traded....

Just get them all.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

This arrived in today’s mail...thrilled to own this pack!!!

• Options
    '84 Topps Tiffany

It's nice to see Strawberry a collector's favorite again. I recall being criticized for collecting him sometime after he was dropped from the Dodgers. They told me not to waste my money, etc. Now look!

I realize his price jump has nothing to do with any speculation of his chance to get elected in the HOF, but more for nostalgia as being one of the premier players and cards of the 1980s.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2020 6:53PM
    '83 Traded....

@JWBlue said:
    Back in the day I do not recall anyone caring about the 1983TT. Not to say I am right but does anyone else remember it that way?

I remember placing a bigger interest on the 84 Donruss myself. 85-88 time frame. Straw had a great 1990 for the Mets and, fuzzy memory, seems like the 83 TT was moving past the others in late 90 into 91. 91 He was still very much in demand, 1st season w/ Dodgers. Wheels came off in 92. Wheels and axles came off in 93 :(

edit: have a May 93 Beckett handy, 83 TT $75, 84 D $45. Have some older Becketts(86-91) tucked away, i'll dig out one over the next few days

• Options
    '83 Traded....

I would say a fair amount of Yankees fans move the Doc and Straw market, too.

They each had some great moments for the Bronx Bombers.

• Options
    '84 Topps Tiffany

Of course Yankee fans collect Doc and Straw! They were part of some WS teams for the Yanks!

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    '84 Fleer

The '84 Drakes is a nice item, also.

• Options
    '84 Topps Tiffany

MLBdays,

History now shows that it has been kind to Doc and Straw. People contextualized that both were HOF caliber athletes but suffered from unfortunate personal problems. Their careers never hit their true potential, but they did have flashes of greatness several times, but especially early in their careers. Fans just want to see the both of them triumph over their demons and lead happy and productive lives.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '84 Topps

I admire what Strawberry has done with his life the last 15 years....I hope Doc can follow suit. Darryl has become a real bright humble human being...... enlightened.