Home Sports Talk
Options

Players that didn't make it in the pros

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 24, 2020 4:42AM in Sports Talk

Yes, it's time for another edition of players that just didn't make it in the pros. They were great in college, but just didn't make it in the pros! All sports are welcome, so come on in and stay a while!

Comments

• Options
    edited June 24, 2020 5:30AM

Brady Quinn. He was a star at Notre Dame and drafted in the first round by the Cleveland Browns, and later played for the Broncos, Chiefs, Seahawks, Jets Rams, and Dolphins, but never reached that level of NFL stardom.

• Options
    edited June 24, 2020 5:31AM

Another Notre Dame star, Rick Mirer drafted no.2 overall in the 1993 NFL draft by the Seahawks.

• Options
    edited June 24, 2020 5:46AM

Just look at that old school helmet! The only back to back heisman trophy winner in history Archie Griffin never made it big in the pros.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

seems like there are so many from football: andre ware, ty detmer, rahib ismael, desmond howard, heath shuler, david klingler. the list goes on and on and on...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

This thread is a direct result of having too much time on my hands. I can't talk sports with my wife, because she doesn't watch sports, she watches baking. This is her favorite team and it scares the heck out of me!

• Options

Sam Bowie was selected over Michael Jordan in the 1984 NBA draft, but a leg injury in the NBA derailed his pro career. Just look how tall he is.

• Options

We might as well throw Todd Van Poppel in the mix, just for the heck of it. He never quite lived up to the hype.

• Options

Tommie Frazier. I would have loved to have seen him in the NFL, but he was never drafted due to health problems. He led the Nebraska Cornhuskers to back to back National Championships in 94' and 95'. I remember that 1995 team, who many consider the greatest college team of all time. That 1995 team steamrolled opponents and destroyed the number 2 ranked Florida Gators 62-24 in the 95' National Championship game.

• Options
    edited June 24, 2020 6:56AM

Yes, I know it's only 9:55 eastern time, but I just can't get McDonald's out of my mind.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    We might as well throw Todd Van Poppel in the mix, just for the heck of it. He never quite lived up to the hype.

oh man, Van Poppel is a great one. thought i was going to make it rich off from those 91 upper deck rookies.

Mike Harkey was supposed to be great also, as was Jeffrey Hammonds and Ben McDonald.

• Options

Remember Billy Owens from Basketball. there was an old set from i think 1991 that matched him up with Larry Johnson. Poor Billy never became a superstar

• Options

@craig44 said:

@doubledragon said:

oh man, Van Poppel is a great one. thought i was going to make it rich off from those 91 upper deck rookies.

Mike Harkey was supposed to be great also, as was Jeffrey Hammonds and Ben McDonald.

Yeah, I was also a victim of the Todd Van Poppel Upper Deck rookie craze. I remember pulling them from packs and being excited back in the day. That turned out to be a huge disappointment!

• Options

Greg Oden was the number 1 draft pick back in the 2007 NBA draft. He was a 7 footer for Ohio State, and he was selected by the Trailblazers over Kevin Durant. He stayed injured and never recovered from it. He was quoted as saying "I'll be remembered as the biggest bust in NBA history".

• Options

Johnny Manziel was unbelievable to watch in college, but had problems off the field that kept him from making it in the pros.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every University of Florida QB.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Penn State RB’s

• Options
    edited June 24, 2020 12:17PM

Next up, David Carr. He was selected 1st overall pick by the Houston Texans in 2002, and spent a lot of his time there flat on his back. Of course his offensive line wasn't much help and he was sacked 76 times his rookie season, and never lived up to the hype.

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Greg Oden was the number 1 draft pick back in the 2007 NBA draft. He was a 7 footer for Ohio State, and he was selected by the Trailblazers over Kevin Durant. He stayed injured and never recovered from it. He was quoted as saying "I'll be remembered as the biggest bust in NBA history".

Are those guys wearing skirts ?

• Options

@Horse said:

@doubledragon said:

Are those guys wearing skirts ?

😂Actually, believe it or not, those are long shorts. I think they look ridiculous. I don't know which is worse, the long shorts or the daisy dukes from back in the day!

• Options

Next up, Kwame Brown. He was drafted no. 1 overall pick in 2001 by the Washington Wizards, but never lived up to the hype, and only averaged 6.6 points for his 12 year career.

• Options

Tyler Hansbrough. Being a North Carolinian, I loved watching this guy play for the UNC Tar Heels. He is one of the greatest college basketball players of all time, and led the Tar Heels to the 2009 National Championship. He was nicknamed "Psycho T" due to his intense style of play. His career in the NBA never panned out, and he now lives overseas in China and plays in the CBA.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Just look at that old school helmet! The only back to back heisman trophy winner in history Archie Griffin never made it big in the pros.

He wasn't a star in the NFL , but still played 7 seasons. Had a decent rookie year averaging 4.5 yds per carry. He was small at 189 lbs.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ryan Leaf

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited June 25, 2020 8:00AM

@coolstanley said:
    Ryan Leaf

I Raise.....Purple Drank anyone?

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Felipe Lopez was going to go straight to the pros from Rice High School, NYC and DOMINATE; not if but when. He was that good, they said, but it was thought he could use more polish so he went to St. John’s AND THEN TO THE PROS.

He sucked. Badly.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Tyler Hansbrough. Being a North Carolinian, I loved watching this guy play for the UNC Tar Heels. He is one of the greatest college basketball players of all time, and led the Tar Heels to the 2009 National Championship. He was nicknamed "Psycho T" due to his intense style of play. His career in the NBA never panned out, and he now lives overseas in China and plays in the CBA.

Holy Cow. I forgot all about tyler. He was a great college player

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

baby jordan

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Drew Henson

• Options

I'm just happy this thread was successful.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Monte Towe.

• Options

how about Todd Marinovich. totally lost it in the pros

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Sam Bowie was selected over Michael Jordan in the 1984 NBA draft, but a leg injury in the NBA derailed his pro career. Just look how tall he is.!

In an ESPN documentary, Bowie admitted he was injured in college and basically faked his physical. Said he was in extreme pain the whole time but hid it so he'd get drafted.